Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I keep getting error and my dashcam stops working
It seems like the issue is with the way the USB drive is formatted
When i had older one, i was getting "too slow" issue
Now with new 128Gb samsung drive it just quits
It worked ok for couple of weeks

Formatted to FAT32 on Win 10 multiple times, - works a few mins and quits
Formatted to DOS-FAT on MAC few times, - works a day or two and then quits

What am i doing wrong?

I am having the same problems
After buying the Scandisk Expand, and formatting in FAT 32 and setting up SentryCam file, the car did not recognize the disk.
I bought a second Scandisk Expand (miniature) and formatted it. The car recognized it and showed that it
was recording. However, the phone says the disk is empty!
Still scratching my head.

I am having the same problems
After buying the Scandisk Expand, and formatting in FAT 32 and setting up SentryCam file, the car did not recognize the disk.
I bought a second Scandisk Expand (miniature) and formatted it. The car recognized it and showed that it
was recording. However, the phone says the disk is empty!
Still scratching my head.
Actually, I mean TeslCam file. and I am working with SentryView APP. the Regular Sentry mode works fine.

I have had similar issues. I have several USB drives that work consistently with Sentry on my Model X. I have also found many that do not work. The big issue I have found is if the drive fully supports USB v 2.0 even if drive is rated at 3.1 US ver. I have several that work that are 128gb. 128gb PNY and Samsung units work if they support USB 2,0. I also have several Samsung and PNY that are larger drives that say they support USB 2.0 and are formatted for FAT 32 but do not work, (256gb and larger) Here is a link on Amazon to one that is working in my model X. https://smile.amazon.com/PNY-Attach...ny+usb+flash+128k+usb+2&qid=1577577709&sr=8-1

Hi All,
I keep getting error and my dashcam stops working
It seems like the issue is with the way the USB drive is formatted
When i had older one, i was getting "too slow" issue
Now with new 128Gb samsung drive it just quits
It worked ok for couple of weeks

Formatted to FAT32 on Win 10 multiple times, - works a few mins and quits
Formatted to DOS-FAT on MAC few times, - works a day or two and then quits

What am i doing wrong?

@AndreyATC A 128GB drive can't be formatted with a a Windows PC as FAT 32. Windows will format at FAT32EXT (extended) which is not supported for Tesla Cam. You will have to use external drive management software to format anything greater than 32GB as FAT32. Be sure there is NO music on the FOB and there is on Sub-Directory created called TeslaCam (exactly as typed, one word with cap in the middle. That should work. It will take a couple of seconds for the Camera Icon to appear on the screen.

If you are still having an issue, there is the possibility that the drive you purchased is defective. I had a defective Samsung drive and had to replace it do to write errors.

So, it's not overwriting older files, like DVR does?

It will over-write the TeslaCam files. Once Sentry files are saved (in a separate folder), they remain on the drive until manually deleted. I "suppose" this is in case the owner doesn't see anything of significance when Sentry is Activated. Therefore at any time after an incident (should it occur), you can review those saved files. The same is true of anytime you "save" the TeslaCam files. With the new "save-on-honk", you may have more saved files --These will be saved in a file called "Saved Files" (of course). Should the drive begin to reach its max capacity, you will get an alert that Sentry is not Active--so space remains to TeslaCam when driving.

So, if i understand correctly, unless these 2 categories fill up the drive completely (quite unlikely) i dont have to worry about cleaning?
Thank you

I am not quite sure how Tesla determines the point where 'Sentry' will stop recording. With the size of your SSD then most likely never. However, if Tesla determines that point as a percent of drive available, then maybe so. So give it a try, and it the "day" comes that Sentry stops working with the warning Sentry is not available, you will know why.

Just as a side note, I use a 64 GB USB FOB. I also carry a USB plug-in adapter in my vehicle so I can view TeslaCam video from my phone. The thought process is should an collision occur, I can display proof on my behalf if needed at the time of the incident. I also keep an extra 64 GB FOB that I erase and replace in the vehicle with no old files -- just a habit I developed to manage the TeslaCam feature.