Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help: Wont Charge :( (UMC issue - Resolved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I need opinions and advice.

I plug in my UMC. UMC Light is solid green (which is normal). the Car does not recognize that the plug has been plugged in though. I have rebooted the center console, did not help.
This has happened once before last Sunday, rebooting the console fixed the problem. I thought it was a fluke. Now, the car DOES recognize what adapter I have plugged into the UMC. Example: The car does change max amperage between 12 amps for the 120v adapter and 40 amps for the 14-50 adapter, but still does not recognize that it is plugged in. Just says Charge Port open.

Just got off the phone with basic support, had me reset the console, change plugs, reset UMC, nothing helped.

Regular support will be calling me tomorrow, but I really need the vehicle for a 100 mile round trip tomorrow (Currently 104 miles to dead, will not make it after the overnight vampire load), and I have a 300 mile round trip this weekend that I need to do :(.

Ideas are much appreciated! I am going to try a J1772 Charge point a few miles away, see if it charges their. I hope so at least. I will be spending a few hours their if it does =[

Of all three, Already done :( Fustrating. In town here, if the Chargepoint works, no problem, I can get by with that. But where I'm going, only a 14-50 outlet in the whole city. Unless I can limp it to a Nissan and use the adaptor their. I will update from the Charge Point weather it works or not. I also called another forum member that lives a few miles away, he didn't answer, left a message. Hope I can take a quick drive by him to see if it's my cable or the car for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

well, I believe it is the UMC. me and my youngest are sitting at the aaa Service center where they have a free charge point, plug adapter for the public charging point in light on car turned green and it's checking right away. I'm going to disconnect it now, and plug my UMC into the charge points 20 amp 120 volt outlet, and see if possibly charging off the charge point may have reset something. these charge points are very slow, only 18 mph recharge as it's only 208 Volts at 30amp

I plug in my UMC. UMC Light is solid green (which is normal). the Car does not recognize that the plug has been plugged in though.

I had the same problem. Took the car and the UMC to the service center. They tried the UMC on another car and it didn't work. UMC went bad. They handed me a new one and I was on my way. The whole thing only took a few minutes and everything has been fine since.

Have a look at my experiences in this thread. There may be some tips that help. (Try opening the charge port from the touch screen rather than from the UMC button and/or try locking the car with the UMC plugged in, even if the port is still white. Both of these worked on occasion for me.)

thanks mknox! That worked!!!! I had to lock and unlock the doors about 30 ttimes real fast then it clicked. I'm doing range charge tonight as I only have a ms60, that way after vamp load, I could still drive it to Chicago service center tomorrow.
The other forum user will kindly let me use his umc Saturday and Sunday so I can make it home if need be. I
am very great full for that. Tesla is supposed to overnight a new umc tomorrow morning, but it might not get here in time. I am going to see if they will sell me a used or refurbished umc to have as a spare at a discount or somthing, if I was out of town already, I'd be screwed. :(

Well, did a full range charge last night to be on the safe side. After getting the UMC to be recognized and charge the vehicle, I tried it multiple times today, and it appears to work every time.... Tesla is overnight a new UMC to me. I am having it overnighted to the destination I am going to tomorrow, as it is a business and someone always their, and if It is not delivered to my house before I leave, then I am SOL if this one fails again. We'll see how that goes.

Their is a Nissan Dealer about 35-40 miles from my destination, so worst case scenario, I can drive to the Nissan and charge off their leaf station. Wont be pleasant, as those stations are slower then heck, but at least wont be stuck :)

thanks mknox! That worked!!!!

Glad I could help. I'm on my second UMC and it's still a little flaky. For instance, I stopped by the Tesla store in Toronto a week or so ago, and a rep was just returning from a test drive and offered to plug my car in (they have a new HPWC there now). The rep could not get my port to open using the cable's button, so I had to open it from the touchscreen (and it charged fine). I have that problem from time to time with my own UMC. I have issues where the port door won't stay closed. It's not the magnet, because it holds for a few seconds, then clunks and bangs and pops back open on it's own. Sometimes I can only charge if I open the port from the touchscreen, even if the UMC's button did previously pop the door. Weird stuff, but I have figured out the pattern enough to work around any issue that comes up. Something to check at my "annual" inspection.

New UMC Arrived at my home this morning at 7am. It works. My old one is working too???
I think their was also a communication problem between Tesla and me. A second new UMC may be on it's way to where I am driving to this afternoon. I had asked that it be sent their, as we weren't sure one would arrive at my home before I departed. So I will find out this afternoon if a second one was shipped.
I was also told no Refurb or Used UMC's available at a discount at this time, just the new ones are available in the online store.

None, just what came with my car. They fedex'd out a replacement, and a return label to send the bad one back. So I have 1 in my possession right now, chance a second one might have accidentally been sent to my destination.

I am thinking of purchasing a second though, because if their are no public charging stations around, I could potentially be screwed if the UMC fails.