TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by lwinpet, Sep 13, 2018.

1. lwinpet

lwinpet New Member

hi everyone!

I own a 2008 roadster and broke the charging cable. when I called tesla to purchase a replacement, they said they do not sell them anymore and I would have to look for an aftermarket product.

does anyone know where I can buy a charging cable for a 2008 roadster?

thanks!

peter

2. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Member

I would pair your broken one with an openEVSE and get something more robust.
    OpenEVSE | SAE J1772 IEC Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Kits
    scroll down to get to the kits.

In an emergency use the 120v cable
    If you have 40 miles of charge then maybe
    Floors Etc
    3155 Porter St,
    Soquel, CA 95073, USA
    They have a 70A clipper creek on plug share

Also @DeedWest has a almost new UMC240 for the roadster $750
    Roadster Parts for Sale Listings
    post #50

Or call Henry Sharp and get the Can Sr
    The CAN - Roadster to J1772 or Model S/X connector

and pair it with the 1772-tesla connector

Model S/X/3 SAE J1772 Charging Adapter
    New J1772 charging adapter

Then get the tesla UMC thats much smaller and plenty of those around

Gen 1 - 40 Amp Mobile Charger

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Member

Deedwest would be the easiest, quickest and best option short term.

4. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Member

Just to confirm, you don't need the j1772 adaptor but its nice to be able to charge everywhere. You could get the can Sr and a tesla HPWC or Tesla UMC240 and be set

5. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Can SR and a new Model S/X/3 charger. That will probably cost you less than a used Roadster charger.

• Informative x 1
  6. backmost

backmost Member

This also future proofs you in case you decide on buying another Tesla rather than a Roadster cable that is not used on any other EV

7. DeedWest

DeedWest 2010 Roadster 2.0 - VIN 523

Hi there,

Unfortunately, my UMC has just sold.

I second others’ advice here. Purchase the CAN SR for $650, and the Model S/X/3 UMC for $300. $950 gives you a reliable charging option up to 32A, as well as the freedom to use the CAN SR at almost any Tesla Destination Charger around the country. Great for traveling!

• Like x 1
  8. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Cheapest option (in case you want that) - $259...

Buy this OpenEVSE kit Standard Series - 40A Kit and cannibalize your broken UMC for the input and output cables (and Roadster connector).

I charge using this setup daily.

I also have Henry's CAN Jr (to use at any J1772 charger), but I think I've used it once :)

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. Rotarypower

Rotarypower Member

This is the way to go. Do not buy a used roadster UMC. They all will eventually fail, 99.9% guarantee :(, they were a flawed product. The other option mentioned by @thefortunes is good too, if you have the ability to cut and reassemble the cable.

10. DeedWest

I will say...I have been using a Roadster UMC that’s been in full-time service for over 7 years. I believe the trick is charging at 24A/32A and not the full 40A so it does not generate as much heat. Never had a single issue.

That being said, I have heard of many UMCs frying...so I agree they were flawed, but maybe not 99.9%. :D

11. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I always charged at 32A. Never had a problem until poof. Good luck!

12. Rotarypower

Rotarypower Member

Mine failed the week I got my car into North Carolina. I had the service records from Tesla where they stated it tested OK just a month before I bought the car. I then did a lot of research on the issue and concluded failure of that charger was inevitable. I think you extended the life of the charger by using low current, which I agree, is the right thing to do. If I kicked the current down to 12 amps, I could get it to charge for 2-3 hours before getting the red light on the charger. I looked into having it repaired but the company that made these for Tesla doesn't service them. I guess we could argue that all electronics will eventually fail, it's just a matter of time. I ended up buying the S/X mobile charger and the CAN SR. That combo has been 100% rock solid, and allows the car to use destination chargers, which is important since we don't have access to the SC network.

• Like x 1
  13. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi DeedWest,

Henry's website is showing $795 for the Can Sr...

Do TMC people get a better price???

Thank You, Shawn

14. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Member

No, he was offering a saving on buying both together. reducing the Can Sr for the price of the Jr. That was a while ago though.
    I assume the potential may be there for a group buy?

15. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

The correct price is $795 for the CAN SR and 695 for the JR. Nobody has paid less than that except periodically I offer $100 off of your second adapter like I am now. I know they're expensive but I don't make much money. Mostly doing it to help the community.

• Like x 2
  16. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Member

Truely they are not expensive for a car that burns through UMC’s and rear tires. I got lucky and got a used set days before I was going to order from you. But at retail I consider them good value. It’s not like you will ever need to replace them.

17. DeedWest

Whoops. I truthfully hadn’t checked on the price in a long, long while. My apologies for misinformation!

18. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Member

For what it’s worth the owner selling the UMC I linked to is super helpful and as of right now it’s still available.

19. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Unless you get the generation 1 that is built like a tank. With the accompanying tank size and speed

20. DanielFriederich

I have a so called "shoe box" UMC which I assume is the gen 1? It came with the car and was and is always used for charging (mostly with reduced amperage) but the controller box size is not so handy like the smaller UMCs (eg. 220V plug charger). The shoe box seems to be rock solid (knocking on wood right now...) and I bought - tada - DeedWests UMC as a spare for traveling. I also agree that Henry's can is the best way to go (still have to get one...) and for Europe there's a work around making your own Type 2 to Roadster adapter.

• Like x 1