Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEED HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi everyone!

I own a 2008 roadster and broke the charging cable. when I called tesla to purchase a replacement, they said they do not sell them anymore and I would have to look for an aftermarket product.

does anyone know where I can buy a charging cable for a 2008 roadster?

thanks!

peter

Reactions: AtAge19
I would pair your broken one with an openEVSE and get something more robust.
OpenEVSE | SAE J1772 IEC Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Kits
scroll down to get to the kits.

In an emergency use the 120v cable
If you have 40 miles of charge then maybe
Floors Etc
3155 Porter St,
Soquel, CA 95073, USA
They have a 70A clipper creek on plug share

Also @DeedWest has a almost new UMC240 for the roadster $750
Roadster Parts for Sale Listings
post #50

Or call Henry Sharp and get the Can Sr
The CAN - Roadster to J1772 or Model S/X connector

and pair it with the 1772-tesla connector

Model S/X/3 SAE J1772 Charging Adapter
New J1772 charging adapter

Then get the tesla UMC thats much smaller and plenty of those around

Gen 1 - 40 Amp Mobile Charger

Hi there,

Unfortunately, my UMC has just sold.

I second others’ advice here. Purchase the CAN SR for $650, and the Model S/X/3 UMC for $300. $950 gives you a reliable charging option up to 32A, as well as the freedom to use the CAN SR at almost any Tesla Destination Charger around the country. Great for traveling!

Reactions: dhrivnak
This is the way to go. Do not buy a used roadster UMC. They all will eventually fail, 99.9% guarantee :(, they were a flawed product. The other option mentioned by @thefortunes is good too, if you have the ability to cut and reassemble the cable.

I will say...I have been using a Roadster UMC that’s been in full-time service for over 7 years. I believe the trick is charging at 24A/32A and not the full 40A so it does not generate as much heat. Never had a single issue.

That being said, I have heard of many UMCs frying...so I agree they were flawed, but maybe not 99.9%. :D

I will say...I have been using a Roadster UMC that’s been in full-time service for over 7 years. I believe the trick is charging at 24A/32A and not the full 40A so it does not generate as much heat. Never had a single issue.

That being said, I have heard of many UMCs frying...so I agree they were flawed, but maybe not 99.9%. :D
I always charged at 32A. Never had a problem until poof. Good luck!

Mine failed the week I got my car into North Carolina. I had the service records from Tesla where they stated it tested OK just a month before I bought the car. I then did a lot of research on the issue and concluded failure of that charger was inevitable. I think you extended the life of the charger by using low current, which I agree, is the right thing to do. If I kicked the current down to 12 amps, I could get it to charge for 2-3 hours before getting the red light on the charger. I looked into having it repaired but the company that made these for Tesla doesn't service them. I guess we could argue that all electronics will eventually fail, it's just a matter of time. I ended up buying the S/X mobile charger and the CAN SR. That combo has been 100% rock solid, and allows the car to use destination chargers, which is important since we don't have access to the SC network.

Reactions: DeedWest
Hi DeedWest,

Henry's website is showing $795 for the Can Sr...

Do TMC people get a better price???

Thank You, Shawn
The correct price is $795 for the CAN SR and 695 for the JR. Nobody has paid less than that except periodically I offer $100 off of your second adapter like I am now. I know they're expensive but I don't make much money. Mostly doing it to help the community.

Truely they are not expensive for a car that burns through UMC’s and rear tires. I got lucky and got a used set days before I was going to order from you. But at retail I consider them good value. It’s not like you will ever need to replace them.

I have a so called "shoe box" UMC which I assume is the gen 1? It came with the car and was and is always used for charging (mostly with reduced amperage) but the controller box size is not so handy like the smaller UMCs (eg. 220V plug charger). The shoe box seems to be rock solid (knocking on wood right now...) and I bought - tada - DeedWests UMC as a spare for traveling. I also agree that Henry's can is the best way to go (still have to get one...) and for Europe there's a work around making your own Type 2 to Roadster adapter.

Reactions: DeedWest