Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need hitch recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone! Longtime visitor but new to being a member. I live in Oregon where my husband and I love to go mountain biking. We have an SUV and would put the bikes in the back, however we are selling it and waiting for delivery of our Model 3. Another couple who goes with us also fits their bikes in their vehicle but they have a sedan – the thought of putting our bikes inside our Tesla makes me cringe.

I’ve been advised to look into a roof rack or a hitch mounted bike rack. I don’t want to lift the bikes onto the roof. So, I was curious if anyone has experience with a hitch mounted bike rack? Any suggestions on a hitch brand or a bike rack brand?

Amen on forgetting about the roof rack for purpose of bikes. Too difficult getting them up and down. I am wondering if you got the "Tow option" on the car because Tesla sells an attachment for it that works well. But like everything else Tesla, it is expensive.

Another +1 for EcoHitch.

Tools required:
  1. Push pin "spudger" or a flathead screwdriver
  2. Torx (T25?)
  3. Ratchet(s)
  4. 8mm socket
  5. 10mm socket
  6. 15mm deep socket
  7. Extension bar
  8. 3 1/2" or 4" hole saw
  9. Drill
  10. Tape measure
  11. Pencil
  12. Rigid plastic prying device
  13. Rubber mallet
  14. 50 ft lb torque wrench
  15. 15/16" socket or ratchet wrench
Set aside 3-4 hours for this.

I listed a prying device because my crash bar supports were epoxied to the rear of the car. I had a plastic spatula used for patching drywall holes and tapped this between the supports and body to avoid gouging the primer.

I opted for the smaller 3 1/2" hole saw which works but doesn't leave a ton of room for the 15/16" socket and ratchet. As such I ordered a ratcheting wrench from the Amazons: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F511EXA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if you have any other questions or would like additional photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_152359.jpg
    IMG_20180616_152359.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20180616_114141.jpg
    IMG_20180616_114141.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 125
I ordered the EcoHitch and had an autobody shop install it for ~$150. I have a 1-Up hitch that can be expanded to hold 4 bikes. Just using 1 tray is very compact when folded up and looks great! My only complaint is the backup camera thinks I'm 4" from hitting something when backing up. A "Bike Rack Mode" setting would be nice.

Attachments

• IMG_5466.JPG
    IMG_5466.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: UrsS and mekberg
Wow! Looks cool but what if that sucker falls off on the freeway!!;)

I'm feeling pretty good it won't. Watch these for more

and this article: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/bike-locks-racks-storage/mini-bomber-2-bike-rack
The SeaSucker Mini Bomber bike rack journeyed with us over 1,900 miles across un-restricted autobahns of Germany...The unit can cater for bikes up to 45 lbs (20kg) each, and weighs 12lbs (5.4kg) itself...The suckers are rated to 210lb pull-strength – meaning they’d require a pretty incredible amount of force if they were to ever be removed without intention. Indeed, we’d hazard a guess that less force would be required to snap the forks in two.