TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Need Info on Roadster Door Panel Removal

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by JohnGarziglia, Jul 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JohnGarziglia

I would like to remove the inside door panels on my 2.5 to install sound deadening. Do I just use a panel separator and the panel is held on by clips or are there hidden screws or other fasteners? Should I buy new clips in advance because some will break? Any description of how to remove the Roadster door panel is much appreciated

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

My experience is with a 1.5 and I also helped HCSharp and he has a 2.0 or 2.5 and it was the same procedure. For that you do not need any special tools. The chrome on the handle pops off and there are two (8 mm I believe) bolts that need to be removed. Then on the top right and bottom edge of the fabric/leather you have to bend it back to find two more additional bolts (8mm I believe) then the door panel will come off. There are about 5 plastic caps/fasteners that hold the door on besides the 4 bolts. There are also wires for the speakers and windows/locks that have to be unplugged but that is straight forward. It was uncomfortable the first time I did it and was fortunate as I had a Ranger watching me. I say this as bending the leather panel back to gain access to the screws was a bit scary but be gentle and all should work out. Once the screws are out it does take a bit of force to pull the plastic fasteners again I was worried I might break something but then just as my worry reach the top of anxiety the panel separated off with no problem.

3. JohnGarziglia

Thank you so much. This is exactly the information I needed. Much appreciated.

4. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

:scared:wow that sounds scary!!!!

Reston is only about 60mi from Crofton ....... huummmm ....... Hey John need some help??

5. JohnGarziglia

Thanks. I am on the last part of a long-term squeak, rattle, sound-deadening project with my Roadster. I hope to post something soon. For sound-deadening, since I have the 2.5, I already have the Tesla noise reduction in the cabin so my approach to sound-deadening has been to explore other areas of the vehicle in which sound-deadening material might make a difference in some of the noise made when going over bumps. The doors are actually the last remaining thing I have to do. I am not sure if additional sound-deadening in the doors will help as I assume there is already some in there, although knocking in the middle of the outside of each door, the panels sound pretty hollow. But there is also a nasty air leak that comes through the inside door release handle in the cold weather I would like to try to find a way to seal.

6. JohnnyLounge21

Bubbling with anticipation on how this last phase of the long-term squeak, rattle, sound-deadening project turns out! I pulled off a door panel to my GF's Jetta about a year ago - this was only to install a replacement side mirror - and I was horrified the whole time. I'd like to do everything John has done so far - I just don't know how to do it myself! Maybe I can get a freelance mechanic to do it with my while I "instruct" using all of John's details from his mission. . .

I wish I wasn't 700 miles away from you guys! ERRRRRRRRRR!

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Sounds like Road Trip Time! I am only 600 miles away from you :)