Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need input--service issues to ask about during upcoming annual inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this is being covered somewhere in another post or not but I would like to know if there are any KNOWN issues/updates that should be SPECIFICALLY asked for during an annual inspection. Here's why I ask...Tesla recently called me and said I needed to bring in my car for an AC evaporator hose update (my car is an early VIN and apparently they made a design change to the location of the hose). While scheduling the appointment I just happened to mention the occasionally loud compressor noise and they said there was a 'blanket wrap' fix for the compressor. I got the impression that this would not have been addressed unless I brought it up. Just wondering if there are other specific issues that have been raised by owners and addressed.

I have a 25k service visit coming up in about 3 weeks and want to make sure I catch anything/everything important!

There's the seat fix if you haven't had that done yet.

Beyond that, if there is ANYTHING that bugs you even the slightest amount, mention it. They may say there is a fix for it and do so, or they may say there's nothing they can do, but asking can't hurt. And if there's really nothing that bugs you at all, then there's no need to ask to get it fixed...

Tesla will apply active campaigns to your car when you bring it in. If you have any specific issues then you should bring those up. In my experience they will take good care of you. Why complain of something that is not an issue for you? JMO.

Ask nicely about rear camber bolts, front suspension steering bolts, 12V battery replacement (some items from other Service Bulletins). Verify tire rotation and alignment and get alignment printout at the end.

They went away from the camber bolts. I had them for a bit and the last time my car was in service they were removed. Nothing unusual about tire wear either. I trust my service advisor enough to not ask why. Like most of the fixes i'm starting to realize that its just mental fixes for paranoid Model S owners. I'm sure that what my service advisor would have told me too. Hah!

I've noticed that with my aftermarket 19 inch winter wheels, there is no brake squeal when I come to a complete stop. With my 21 inch turbines, there is. I mentioned it to them last time, and they did a brake pad beading procedure which fixed the problem for only a day. I thought I read about a different fix a while back to address a sound resonance problem with the 21 inch wheels, but I can't find it with search. Am I remembering wrong? Thanks.

Have you had this done on your car? Curious as to how the comfort factor improves. Just got back from a long drive and while not terribly uncomfortable, I definitely see this as being a worthwhile service bulletin so I might mention it (pending some owner reviews...).
Unfortunately I don't have a Model S yet, I just pay far too much attention to the posts on this forum... (maybe I need a life? (or a Model S!)) Reports from people who have had it done are mixed, most report an improvement, but the amount of improvement varies, the usual description is that they are better in a way that people just can't quite put their finger on, that you sit "in" the seat instead of "on" the seat. It sounds like the fix is a relatively minor improvement, and that the next generation of seats that Elon has talked about will still be a highly sought after commodity. I have yet to read of anyone regretting having it done though, so you're probably safe to do it.

I had the seat fix and there is a softer feel to the seat and you sit slightly lower but if I did not have this done I would not have missed it.

"Like most of the fixes i'm starting to realize that its just mental fixes for paranoid Model S owners."

Only asked to have this done cause I read it on this forum and I am one of those neurotic model S owners.