Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Legal Assistance with 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've been having nothing put problems with our 2015 Model S P85D since Tesla replaced the MCU (it died like they all seem to do after 5 years). We've been in to the Tesla shop 7 times since the MCU replacement, always with something different. Two problems persist:

1. Tesla cut a hole in the side plan to look at or repair something. They claim the hole was already there and that they will not repair it.

2. Car random switches from 40a to 30a while charging OR EVEN WHILE DRIVING (you see it when you park and go to the charging tab, sometimes it just sets itself to 30a). They charge us a $100 diagnostic fee every time (even though they tell us to bring it back when it happens). They've looked at the logs of both cars and see that the car always works, and mine mostly fails. The service person said, "we can tell absolutely it is not the charger." Makes sense as it changes WHILE DRIVING. Meanwhile, they tell us to come in every time it happens, and then charge us $100 with the conclusion that it is due to a bad charger.

We're looking for legal assistance in either taking the car elsewhere and charging back to Tesla, or getting compensated for our time + reduced value of car due to this problems.

Whats a "hole in the side plan"?
For legal assistance, did you send in a letter to Tesla when you purchased it waiving arbitration? If not, from a legal aspect, I believe you would first have to request arbitration before filing a suit.

If the car switches from 40->30 while charging, it is usually due to voltage drop, indicating a problem for the circuit to provide the requested power. The charging rate is location aware and will potentially switch as you drive. It is also driver profile aware so if you set 40A when you are using your profile and you switch to "Easy Entry" or any other profile it may also switch to a different value.

It remembers the last charge rate at each location, so, if you set it to 40 and the circuit can't sustain 40A and it switches to 30A, it will remember 30A at that location until you successfully charge at 40A at that location. You can of course reset it to 40 at any time, but if it doesn't successfully charge at 40A, it will revert to 30A or less.

Last edited:
If the car switches from 40->30 while charging, it is usually due to voltage drop, indicating a problem for the circuit to provide the requested power. The charging rate is location aware and will potentially switch as you drive. It is also driver profile aware so if you set 40A when you are using your profile and you switch to "Easy Entry" or any other profile it may also switch to a different value.

It remembers the last charge rate at each location, so, if you set it to 40 and the circuit can't sustain 40A and it switches to 30A, it will remember 30A at that location until you successfully charge at 40A at that location. You can of course reset it to 40 at any time, but if it doesn't successfully charge at 40A, it will revert to 30A or less.
well my Nema 15-40 charger was doing the same thing...it would start at 40kW the drop to 30kW.....this cycle would continue from start to finish...Called Tesla and they replaced it with a hard wired charger....no problem since that was replaced and they even gave me $250 for install.....

Is this a new car or used car? if you bought it new from a legal standpoint you can’t lemon law it. If used maybe.

as a side note mine changes the amperage to depending on where it is. It knows in my husbands profile it’s going to always charge at 32a when it arrives at his office. If I drive to his office it’s set at 40. Turn easy entry off if you have it enabled and I’ll bet the issue resolves itself.