Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Model 3 EDR Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly do you get with the cable? Is it just videos that your TeslaCam didn't take or is it inertial data or timing? Why do people want this cable and would it be of general interest outside a crash?

You don't get any video data. You just get the data record in the air-bag module when the air bags are deployed. Fairly standard data across the industry as I understand it.

As such there is no data outside of an airbag deployment.

What exactly do you get with the cable? Is it just videos that your TeslaCam didn't take or is it inertial data or timing? Why do people want this cable and would it be of general interest outside a crash?

-Randy

Event Data Recorder
no video.

Here is what a sample report looks like: https://www.crashdatagroup.com/pdf/TESLA_EDR_SAMPLE_S.pdf

Not every crash will result in an "Event" recorded. If the airbags deploy, or nearly deploy, the data is recorded. I had wanted the cable to get the data Tesla didn't download for me, so that I can use it to prove guilt in the crash my car was in. I was accused of having run a stop sign, and the acceleration data just before the crash would have proven otherwise.

Apparently there are laws governing who can get the data. Text - H.R.22 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): FAST Act
CA example: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=9951.&lawCode=VEH

and the data is the property of the vehicle owner/lessee:
"Any data retained by an event data recorder (as defined in section 563.5 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations),
regardless of when the motor vehicle in which it is installed was manufactured, is the property of the owner, or, in the case of a leased
vehicle, the lessee of the motor vehicle in which the event data recorder is installed."

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
You don't get any video data. You just get the data record in the air-bag module when the air bags are deployed. Fairly standard data across the industry as I understand it.

As such there is no data outside of an airbag deployment.

Not true. You do get airbag data....but there is a lot more. Acceleration/deceleration lateral and longitudinal acceleration, g force data on and on it produces a report about 28 pages long. I uploaded a sample file I downloaded from crash data group.

Attachments

• TESLA_EDR_SAMPLE.pdf
    527 KB · Views: 216
I'm now also in need of the EDR cables to download the data after a collision. Anyone near Los Angeles have some that I can borrow or rent? (Also, I just chatted with a Tesla CSR who said the Tesla Service Center should be able to retrieve the data for me -- anyone have any luck with a service center doing that for you?)

Good luck with the SC getting you any data. I tried for three months and never could get them to help. I finally bought the cable and retrieved the data myself.

• Love
Reactions: alloverx
@bigroccrek 's post above suggests you could contact him?

Do not wait for Tesla. They promised me several times and never came through. They always ended up telling me they are not allowed to pull this data and give it to me until a court or police makes the request. Perhaps this is what they are told to tell us.

Thanks, @derkan -- working on finding the cables. Just PM'd @bigroccrek ...

Hey guys,

My Tesla crashed few days after I bought it. While I was driving my vehicle started making beeping sounds and asking me to stop near a stop sign.

I initially thought that my Tesla is detecting a stop sign and asking me to stop. However from my understanding Tesla doesn’t yet detect stop signs or traffic signal in Canada. It happened to me twice, 5 mins before the crash.

I pull my car and turn left on a friends drive way. I must be driving around 10km-15 km/hr. My car suddenly accelerated and rear -ended an SUV. My airbags were almost deployed. The impact was so strong that the suv moved and ramped into the garage door.

I read on the forums about Sudden unintended acceleration problems. However I don’t think I pressed the accelerator. I know in most cases they are saying it’s a user error. But I really need to find it out for my mental peace and to drive the car again

Is there a way to retrieve the car logs to Get more information about the acceleration? Is it possible to rent the EDR kit?

I read on the forums about Sudden unintended acceleration problems. However I don’t think I pressed the accelerator. I know in most cases they are saying it’s a user error. But I really need to find it out for my mental peace and to drive the car again

Is there a way to retrieve the car logs to Get more information about the acceleration? Is it possible to rent the EDR kit?

@wk057 has said that he would pull the logs from your car if he can share the details publicly when they show that you pressed the accelerator instead of the brake. (I think he has the pulled logs for many people.)

• Informative
Reactions: derkan
@wk057 has said that he would pull the logs from your car if he can share the details publicly when they show that you pressed the accelerator instead of the brake. (I think he has the pulled logs for many people.)

To note, I'm not wasting time with these anymore unless someone takes me up on my open bet on the matter as noted in this post:

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

It's a waste of time otherwise. The cars do not accelerate on their own.

Couple question for the folks who have experience with the EDR kit.
It only gives you access to the local data, correct? I understand there needs to be an actual event for the logging to happen. Just one specific tiny packet of stuff just before/after an event. EDR only pulls local data from the car, not remotely from Tesla? EDR doesn't provide access to car data Tesla previously pulled from the car, correct?

I ask because I have an event from almost 3 years ago that Tesla dragged their feet for a long time and then finally came back with an unplausible description of what happened. @wk057 won't believe it, but from a stop in hold mode the car moved forward on its own toward pedestrians crossing the road. I watched it as I double and triple checked my foot or something else was not on the accelerator then pressed the brakes to stop. It was wild, and not like what most describe as sudden, this was about as chill as can be. Tesla won't provide the data for outside analysis and without that, they can just sweep it under the rug and say it never happened. They won't provide data to support their claim and I suspect the only way to get the actual data would be to take Tesla to court and that doesn't sound like fun.

Does the kit provide a the same PCAN interface as some have suggested is OEM'd by another vendor (Peak, Phytools, etc)? Can the adapter be used independent of event data recovery as a CAN adapter with other data logging software? It's much easier to justify the cost if I could make frequent use of the CAN tool!

Lastly were any of the folks investigating a brew your own EDR interface successful? It looks pretty straight forward if the PC/CAN adapter isn't a custom build. But know that wasn't the case.

Thanks

@wk057 won't believe it, but from a stop in hold mode the car moved forward on its own toward pedestrians crossing the road. I watched it as I double and triple checked my foot or something else was not on the accelerator then pressed the brakes to stop. It was wild, and not like what most describe as sudden, this was about as chill as can be.

Not sure I ever saw this particular "incident" posted anywhere, but, is my understanding of the following what you describe correct? :

• Brought vehicle to a stop.
  • Engaged hold mode with the brake pedal.
  • Vehicle crept slowly forward.

If so, this is simply driver error and not a fault of the system in any way. Hold mode only matches the level of braking applied when it is activated. If it takes more braking force than you applied to actually prevent the vehicle from continuing to roll (either from a slight downhill slope, or from creep mode, or brakes being wet, or any other of numerous conditions), then the vehicle will still move in hold mode, as expected, as it's only holding the brake force you initially applied, not generating its own braking force.

then pressed the brakes to stop.

The brakes obviously worked, then, and hold mode just wasn't engaged to a level sufficient for holding the vehicle at a stop.

Overall, nothing spectacular here. Just remember you need to apply sufficient pressure when engaging hold mode to ensure the car remains in one place, not just enough to get the little "H" to show.

• Informative
Reactions: rpiotro and MP3Mike
sure I ever saw this particular "incident" posted anywhere, but, is my understanding of the following what you describe correct? :

• Brought vehicle to a stop.
  • Engaged hold mode with the brake pedal.
  • Vehicle crept slowly forward.

If so, this is simply driver error and not a fault of the system in any way. Hold mode only matches the level of braking applied when it is activated.
You seem to not understand hold mode and regen braking. You don't need to touch the brakes at all to make a complete stop. When regen brings the car to a stop the hold enables and doesn't release until accelerator is pressed.

That said, the steps you state were not correct. Accelerated slowly from a stop exiting a parking spot making a slow hard right into traffic lane in a parking lot. Released the accelerator and the car came to a stop to wait for pedestrians to clear my path. When stopped (0mph) I reached for phone in passenger seat since there was a long line of people crossing. When looking at my phone felt a feeling of motion. Looked left and noticed moving forward very, very slow literally inching forward. I was sure my feet were clear of pedals, and they were nowhere near the pedals. I monitored for another 5-10 seconds before manually braking. This was also on level ground and there was nothing unusual about the setup other than a tight right turn (and I've heard bosh ABS may have an issue with this). A supercharger may have been set as my destination and if so, battery conditioning would be active.

After people cleared I proceeded through the spot and confirmed hold mode worked as expected at a stop sign on a small at the exit of the parking lot. Over the next two weekends I returned to the same spot running maybe 100 tests to see if I could reproduce the behavior but I couldn't.

I know this is an old thread, but if you are still looking to rent the cables to pull the EDR data I bought them from crashdatagroup (expensive!) and just downloaded the data from my Model 3 on Friday. I am sure we can work something out if you are still interested.
I'm interested. I have the PCAN module and just need the 1139996 cable, assuming that's the one you got from Crash Data Group. It doesn't look like I can send PMs yet (I just created an account), but I'm in Atlanta for shipping purposes. Let me know how you prefer to get in touch and we can work something out.