Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need more non-superchargers in the satnav

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
I read somewhere that Tesla have added a few non-tesla rapid chargers in the satnav under the charger filter, but not many. There are an increasing number of decent rapids being added, often filling gaps between superchargers. The simplicity of using the satnav and auto-routing means I almost always just do what it says (which obviously is good for tesla if I use their sites), vs the relative annoyance of checking zapmap/ABRP along my route, then finding that location on the satnav and not preconditioning the battery.

Any sign that tesla will ramp this up anytime soon? Any tips for streamlining the ability to add a third party destination (can you share to the car from zapmap/ABRP?)

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I think it's tricky, would they get tripped up as being anti-competitive if the routing didn't give equal weight to certain vendors over others? If they set the bar that they will only route to hubs that have more than 6 at 100Kw or higher then that might be acceptable, but if they started including perfectly decent Instavolt sites would they also need to include BP Pulse rubbish as well.

Many of the hub sites also have SuperChargers anyway, so it's all seems rather awkward to me.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Battery pre-conditioning only helps with supercharging and ultra-rapid charging. I am not certain how much of a difference it might make for other chargers compared to the amount of energy spent.

I’ve only managed one successful charge off a non-supercharger so far! I’m now almost actively avoiding them as there is always an issue.
Some of them can be replied upon, like Ionity & the new Gridserve forecourts. A lot of the older ones are often unreliable, yes. Fortunately I think I've only needed to charge away from home or work 3 or 4 times in the past 12 months, so for my usage it's not much of an issue. Plus the LR will have a bit more range than my ID.3 too...

Some of them can be replied upon, like Ionity & the new Gridserve forecourts. A lot of the older ones are often unreliable, yes. Fortunately I think I've only needed to charge away from home or work 3 or 4 times in the past 12 months, so for my usage it's not much of an issue. Plus the LR will have a bit more range than my ID.3 too...
coppied from another thread:

very first long trip.

today preheated car via app @6 am., disconnected cable and jumped into the car
started with 310 miles (90%) of estimated range, and calculation that I will arrive to my destination with 30% of battery.
traveled 154 miles with AP set to 74 mph, all that on motorway. Mostly keeping 3rd out of 4 lanes on M1.

arrived with 35% remaining (remaining range 125 miles)

Temp outside approx 4 C

LR during the winter does 200+ miles easily

it currently charges from 7 kw charger at work @ 30 miles per hr

Reactions: Mrklaw
I read somewhere that Tesla have added a few non-tesla rapid chargers in the satnav under the charger filter, but not many. There are an increasing number of decent rapids being added, often filling gaps between superchargers. The simplicity of using the satnav and auto-routing means I almost always just do what it says (which obviously is good for tesla if I use their sites), vs the relative annoyance of checking zapmap/ABRP along my route, then finding that location on the satnav and not preconditioning the battery.

Any sign that tesla will ramp this up anytime soon? Any tips for streamlining the ability to add a third party destination (can you share to the car from zapmap/ABRP?)
Yes you can plan a trip on ABRP and send it to your Tesla - just select 'Share' at the bottom of the screen and then 'Send to Tesla' (I've subscribed for a few £ a month, so not sure if this is available for non subscribers)

Reactions: Mrklaw