Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need More OBD Space For Harnesses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Radlaw

Charles
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2018
San Diego California
I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3. The OBD connectors are at the base of the back of the arm rest. There is a small space empty beneath the OBD and a removable cover over it. I have added some devices that require an additional harness to be attached to the OBD. When I had only 1 additional harness, it fit in it. Now I have 3 and there is not enought room to put them all in the space below the OBD and put the cover back on. Any ideas on how to relocate the harnesses and/or get a cover on or fabricate a cover for them?

OBD housing.jpg

You are correct, it's super tight. You need to just finagle them back there and possible attache the OBD bit itself to the back plastic trim of the console. Not ideal but I guess Tesla didn't expect us to intercept communications all the time :)

Last edited:
It seems to me that there is an opportunity here for a product, albeit probably not a lot of demand. It appears to me that you have multiple Y harnesses in there, one for each OBD dongle? Those things are gawdawful bulky for the limited space available. It can be frustrating to get one in there, and you're trying for three?

CAN bus is a bus, just hang multiple devices on there. For the OBD dongles we actually need four wires: two for CAN, Ground, and +12V (the latter two are for providing power to the dongle). The harness splitters we use are just a way of tapping into the four wires. It seems to me somebody should just sell a wire harness that has multiple OBD connectors on it instead of one. That wouldn't make the available space bigger, but would reduce the bulk of what you're trying to jam in there, and the cost would just be a couple inches more wire plus additional connectors. Personally I would look into modifying a harness to just have three OBD connectors on it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Radlaw
CAN bus is a bus, just hang multiple devices on there. For the OBD dongles we actually need four wires: two for CAN, Ground, and +12V (the latter two are for providing power to the dongle). The harness splitters we use are just a way of tapping into the four wires. It seems to me somebody should just sell a wire harness that has multiple OBD connectors on it instead of one. That wouldn't make the available space bigger, but would reduce the bulk of what you're trying to jam in there, and the cost would just be a couple inches more wire plus additional connectors. Personally I would look into modifying a harness to just have three OBD connectors on it.
Thank you for electronics 101 explanation. I appreciate it. One of the harnesses only has 2 wires. Should it have 4? The OBD connectors (dongles?) for the 2018 Tesla have 20 pins. What are theother 16 for?
For those of us who are not electronically inclined, please define:
1) CAN
2) Bus
3) Dongle
Thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED: I cut off about a 1/2" from the bottom of the cover. This allowed space for the cables to exit. I then tucked 1 and half harness in the space beneath the OBD housing and there was enough room for the other by placing them flat against the housing. The cover was put back on, with a with a little pressure and it snapped tightly. The modification is slightly noticable and can be covered by the rug. Perfect no, but OK considering the location.
OBD Cover.jpg