Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need New Tires - 21" - What's Best?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on wear, the Pilot Super Sports must have phenomenal stick.

They do. They are my tire of choice for all high performance street cars I’ve owned. For a tire with their grip in all warm weather (>40 deg F) conditions, the only tire that is better in the wet and dry is the new PS4 but that’s not yet available in the right sizes for our cars. Great tire ok the track too as long as you don’t overheat them.

They also have longer treadwear than just about any other tire with similar performance. My all time favorite all-around tire. (Man, this sounds like an ad, sorry.) I’m looking forward to my Contis wearing out so I can get a set of PSS or hopefully PS4 by that time.

Someone - I think it might have been Car and Driver - did a test and found the acoustic foam in ‘quiet’ tires did virtually nothing to attenuate noise. I’ll try to find the article and post it.

Reactions: R1Bill
Kind if reinvigorating this thread as I'm in the same boat going to the 21" Arachnids. I've been on Conti ExtremeContact for 2 S4s (one sedan, 1 Avant, both V8s) for years and have been super happy with them. What is everyone liking on the 21" Arachnids?

Thanks.

Well, here I am again. Right at 10K on the factory spec Michelin's and the rears are smooth. I checked them 2 weeks ago before a trip to New Orleans and they had some wear left according to the wear indicators... but not much. I checked them yesterday and they are smooth... drag slicks with no tread whatsoever, but no threads yet. I've never seen a tire wear this fast. It must be the weight of the car. My Z06 spins the tires much more often and they don't wear this fast.

SO, I'm done with Michelin's. I've read several good reviews online about the Falken's. That, in conjunction with the posters in this thread praising them, that is likely my next choice.

Tires considered:

CONTINENTAL CONTISPORTCONTACT 5P - UTQG: 240 - $370.31

MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT - UTQG: 300 - $366.35

MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT ACOUSTIC - UTQG: 300 - $387.00

PIRELLI P ZERO (PZ4) - UTQG: 280 - $306.49

FALKEN AZENIS FK510 - UTQG: 300 - $212.43

I don't necessarily trust the criteria for UTQG ratings, but it gives me a differential to compare. All prices are Tire Rack pricing and aren't necessarily the best prices, but again a differential comparision.

Tire Rack's review of the Falken's

Thoughts?

Last edited:
...SO, I'm done with Michelin's. I've read several good reviews online about the Falken's. That, in conjunction with the posters in this thread praising them, that is likely my next choice.

Will be interested in how the Falken's work out for you. Probably not an issue for you but some of these tires have lower temperature limits that may surprise. The Pirelli PZ4 is 45 degrees and the Falkens have an absolute floor at 20 degrees. That is you must warm them up to 40 before flexing them or the compound will crack if they get down to 20.

Here, I have winter and summer sets for each of the cars. Winters usually get 4 months of work. So for me wear is not as big an issue since it takes a long time to get the miles on (particularly the winter sets). The OE 19s on the Tesla are almost done at 22K so next summer the 21s (square) will get some shoes and go on the car. Not convinced the acoustic tech works and will likely go with Pilot SS unless the PS4 adds the size. Will stay away from the Pirelli because of the 45 degree limit.

Probably not an issue for you but some of these tires have lower temperature limits that may surprise. Falkens have an absolute floor at 20 degrees.
Agreed it is unlikely an issue for me. I don't remember the last time Southern LA dipped to 20F degrees. I probably wouldn't leave the house if it did!

The 45F degree limit of the Pirelli is concerning though. That was going to be my next effort if the Falken's proved ineffective.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
I put the Falken Avenzis on my S over 10k miles ago and am very happy with their performance and wear. I just checked tread depth and think another 2-3k is a safe bet.

I have only switched between these and the 19” OEMs, so can’t compare with other 21” tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Corsair
Just switched from Conti to Falkens last month, so I have to say my comments are not going to cover their tread life, but I'm sure they will last as long, if not quite a bit longer than my Continentals. I was worried to change from the foamed Continentals, but have been very pleased with the low sound level on my Falkens so far. I don't push the limits on my tires and low temps are no problem for me in CA. :) YMMV

Reactions: jfarlow12
Also put on the falkens about 1000 miles ago. These are so much quieter than the Michelin PS2s and PSS that I had. Also much more comfortable as the bumps felt are much less harsh. The steering is a little bit looser than the PS2s, but at half the cost, and much quieter and smoother ride I think it’s well worth it.

Reactions: jfarlow12
I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into these discussions!

May I suggest the new Pirelli PZero pncs (Pirelli Noise Canvelling System)?

It appears all OEM tire manufacturers are addressing the silent driving characteristics of EV's.
Thus, new tires are being developed to match the low noise needs of our all quiet Tesla vehicles

P.S. I'm personally ordering the PZero pncs 245/40R19 (98Y) XL for my Tesla LR 3

Here's the size specs available in 21" Pirelli PZero's
275/35ZR21 (103Y) XL
275/35ZR21 (103Y) XL
275/35ZR21 (103Y) XL
275/35ZR21 (103Y) AO1 XL
265/30R21 96Y XL
265/35R21 101Y XL
265/35ZR21 (101Y) XL
265/35ZR21 101Y XL
265/40ZR21 (105Y) XL
255/35R21 98Y XL
245/35R21 96Y XL

I'm confused... @Blu Angel there are so many Pirelli tires called PZero you have to get more specific. Maybe the Canadian market is different but I don't see any PNCS in 21" that will fit a Tesla. I do see a PZero All-season in PNCS for your LR 3 but it is in 235/40-19 not 245/40. Maybe with your wider aftermarket wheel the 245 is the correct size?

And don't forget. ANY Pirelli tire marked as a summer tire is only usable down to 45 degrees F. I think that cuts your summer season way down.

@TMeister,

Here’s the new Pirelli PZero pncs
which I will be purchasing for my TM3

upload_2019-3-29_15-46-29.jpeg

The new Pirelli P Zeros are impeccable.
Super thick cub rash protection, great handling, pretty silent even without foam (not as silent as the Contis tho). Lifespan is unknown yet.
Not as soft as the Michelin PSS, but they feature a more beautiful sidewall and rubber density IMHO:
FullSizeRender.jpg