Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need opinions on two dedicated sets of tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving around in a lot of snow so far this Winter (New England), I've decided to get a dedicated set of snow tires on my existing aero wheels (that way I can use the caps to cover up the holes to ensure snow also doesn't get packed in there).

That being said, I'd like to keep the snow tires that I buy dedicated on these wheels. That means I'm in the market for another set of tires for all-season and summer driving. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of wheels and/or tires to get? I can't decide between 18", 19" or 20" wheels and whether to get forged vs cast, and whether or not summer vs all season tires are worth it. I have a LR battery with ONLY RWD so no dual motor or no performance option, so I'm not sure how valuable 'true' performance tires would be. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Tl;Dr:
Regarding snow tires:
1) Does anyone have preferred snow tires they use for the Model 3?

Regarding general tires:
1) Should I get performance or all-season tires?
2) What kind of wheels should I get? What would be the benefit of getting forged vs cast and would it go any faster than with my stock aero wheels?
3) Opinions/thoughts on 18" vs 19" vs 20" wheels?

I purchased a second set of oem aero wheels with TPMS from Tesla's service center and they installed Nokian R3 winters I purchased from Discount Tire. They gave me zero hassle at my Cincinnati location.
I took my existing 18" aero wheels, which were off the car, to Costco and they installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires. They gave me zero hassle at my Cincinnati Costco location. I kept the existing MXM4 tires since they still have between 7/32 and 8/32 tread left. I'll probably try to sell them this spring. I wish there were a place to advertise them on this forum.

So I have two sets of stock wheels with stock size tires on them. I may buy a second center cap set from Tesla so I don't have to move those from wheel to wheel since I do not use the Aero covers.

Edit: Just to be clear I think the stock tire is aweful.

Speaking to Tire choices a dedicated season tire is always going to outperform an "all-season" tire. My feelings are dedicated winter tires are a must. For summer I give some leeway, but know you're leaving performance on the table if you go with all seasons. If you want the best braking distances and the best in cornering capability I'd look into some nice summer only tires. I don't know if you'll see better acceleration from better tires on the model 3. I don't think it's 0-60 is traction limited, but maybe someone else can chime in on that specific piece.

For wheels my opinion is keep the winters on the aero's like you said. For your summer set it really depends on what you want. Forged and cast are two different manufacturing methods and I believe forged wheels are generally lighter and stronger, but of course more expensive. To get the most out of your summer driving experience I'd look into wider wheels. Stock wheels are 8.5". You could bump that up to 9.5" and easily fit a 265 width tire for more grip. Of course the wider you go here the more of a hit to range you're going to take. There's so many options and it really depends on what you want. Also nothing wrong with another set of aeros to maximize your summer range!

As far as size goes there is no advantage to going larger. in fact there are many disadvantages. But lots of people like the looks. I really like a nice set of 18s or 19s personally.

My dream is to have 3 sets
1 for winter
1 for the rest of the year
1 for the track

But that's expensive lol

I did exactly the same thing. This past summer, I bought a set of EV Direct turbine-style wheels and put the factory MXM4 tires on them. Then as winter approached, I bought a set of Michelin X-ice winter tires from an online retailer, a set of compatible TPMS from a famous rack of tires' website, and had them mounted/installed on my car.

I chose the X-ice because in my area, we don't have constant snow covering on the roads, but we have a mix of rain, snow, sleet, ice and of course constant cold. I could have gotten the SottoZeros but they were MUCH more expensive and I don't plan to drive in the wainter in a way that I'd need performance tires.

When I first installed everything, the car didn't know how to deal with the squishy winter tires and the regen was not working as before. Tesla has since fixed that with software updates and I have the regen back to full and it's fine.

I purchased a second set of oem aero wheels with TPMS from Tesla's service center and they installed Nokian R3 winters I purchased from Discount Tire. They gave me zero hassle at my Cincinnati location.
I took my existing 18" aero wheels, which were off the car, to Costco and they installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires. They gave me zero hassle at my Cincinnati Costco location. I kept the existing MXM4 tires since they still have between 7/32 and 8/32 tread left. I'll probably try to sell them this spring. I wish there were a place to advertise them on this forum.

So I have two sets of stock wheels with stock size tires on them. I may buy a second center cap set from Tesla so I don't have to move those from wheel to wheel since I do not use the Aero covers.

How are you liking the PS4S tires? Do you find them louder? How hard does it hit efficiency?

@AMIYY4YOU,

What are your goals for the non-winter set? Are you planning to do any performance driving on a track, do you need to drive long distances where range and energy use may be a concern, do you want a soft/comfortable ride, do you need emphasis on wet traction because you live in a rainy area, do you want a low-profile look, etc.

Can you rank the following factors in order of importance:

1. Dry traction/handling/cornering
2. Wet traction/handling/cornering
3. Ride comfort
4. Noise
5. Cost/Price/Budget
6. Tread longevity
7. Energy use / efficiency
8. Looks / low profile
9. Track use / performance

If you can rank those, I can give you some good recommendations.

How are you liking the PS4S tires? Do you find them louder? How hard does it hit efficiency?
Don't know yet as it's not spring! lol

Costco had a 1 day sale on 1/1/2019 where they had a set of 4 for $70 off plus a 25% rebate so I had them installed this month instead of waiting for spring. Saving $270 was too much pressure to wait.

The tires were developed to be competitive with other tires on rolling resistance. I make a multiple 100+ mile trips each week so I'll find out this spring.

I look forward to the 30' shorter 60-0 stops with these new summer tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
@AMIYY4YOU,

What are your goals for the non-winter set? Are you planning to do any performance driving on a track, do you need to drive long distances where range and energy use may be a concern, do you want a soft/comfortable ride, do you need emphasis on wet traction because you live in a rainy area, do you want a low-profile look, etc.

Can you rank the following factors in order of importance:

1. Dry traction/handling/cornering
2. Wet traction/handling/cornering
3. Ride comfort
4. Noise
5. Cost/Price/Budget
6. Tread longevity
7. Energy use / efficiency
8. Looks / low profile
9. Track use / performance

If you can rank those, I can give you some good recommendations.
Regarding the winter set I just want something that can handle well in the snow and get good traction. I just have rwd and it handled reasonably well but going up minor hills was a little problematic because I kept slipping in chill mode at slower speeds due to lack of traction.

Regarding the non winter set, I don't care about fast acceleration frankly (which is why I didn't get awd or performance). Essentially I'm looking for a cost effective solution to get dedicated wheels that will have good handling over time, look sleek, are cheap, and have low noise. Wet and dry traction is always helpful but I care more about having something that looks sleek and is on the affordable side. In other words I don't care for 20" wheels, but I am interested in good efficiency for long road trips and being comfortable and stylish on that trip.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Take a look at Nokian WR D3 for winter and Nokian Zline for summer. Cost effective and good performance in mixed conditions.
I've run them on my BMW for the last 4 years and that combination has coped with all sorts of weather conditions.

I did exactly the same thing. This past summer, I bought a set of EV Direct turbine-style wheels and put the factory MXM4 tires on them. Then as winter approached, I bought a set of Michelin X-ice winter tires from an online retailer, a set of compatible TPMS from a famous rack of tires' website, and had them mounted/installed on my car.

I chose the X-ice because in my area, we don't have constant snow covering on the roads, but we have a mix of rain, snow, sleet, ice and of course constant cold. I could have gotten the SottoZeros but they were MUCH more expensive and I don't plan to drive in the wainter in a way that I'd need performance tires.

When I first installed everything, the car didn't know how to deal with the squishy winter tires and the regen was not working as before. Tesla has since fixed that with software updates and I have the regen back to full and it's fine.

I also bought a second set of OEM Aero wheels with TPMS from Tesla, and Michelin X-Ice tires from TireRack.

Second set of wheels so I don't have to have tires remounted twice a year - and I can do the switch myself.

Michelin X-Ice because they are excellent in snow and ice -
  • I've had them on my Audi A4 for about 8 years and have never had a problem in bad weather.
  • So far this winter on my M3 we've had some snow and ice - haven't had a slip (while other vehicles slipping and sliding).

long time no see @AMIYY4YOU. I was planning to get another set of OEM wheels so I can swap over the aero covers. I think if you're going to go through the trouble of swapping out the wheels 2x a year, you might as well just get summer tires instead of all seasons.

This first year, I intended to use the stock all-seasons for... all seasons. They're performing just fine for me in the winter. However, next year I am planning to get a set of winter tires. I did that for the S (Michelin X-Ice) and they are terrific. By next winter, I think the all seasons will be sufficiently worn that I'll want to toss those anyway.

Tirerack.com had some nice looking wheels for Model 3, if you you want to show a bit more rotor during the summer.

I have a RWD Model 3 with 18" wheels and purchased the Michelin X-ice winter tires. Also bought the EV Direct turbine style wheels and will use them when the weather gets better. Had the work done by Electrified Garage in Seabrook, NH and found them very accommodating. The X-ice tires have worked well in the snow.

Regarding the winter set I just want something that can handle well in the snow and get good traction. I just have rwd and it handled reasonably well but going up minor hills was a little problematic because I kept slipping in chill mode at slower speeds due to lack of traction.

Regarding the non winter set, I don't care about fast acceleration frankly (which is why I didn't get awd or performance). Essentially I'm looking for a cost effective solution to get dedicated wheels that will have good handling over time, look sleek, are cheap, and have low noise. Wet and dry traction is always helpful but I care more about having something that looks sleek and is on the affordable side. In other words I don't care for 20" wheels, but I am interested in good efficiency for long road trips and being comfortable and stylish on that trip.

Given that you're in Boston, I'd use dedicated winter tires in 18" on Aero rims:

Michelin X-Ice XI3 235/45R18
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 235/45R18

Other options might be the Nokian WR G4 235/45R18, the Vredestein Quatrac 5 235/45R18, or the new Michelin CrossClimate+ 235/45R18. These are all-weather tires whic sit kind of in-between a winter tire and an all-season. Useful for light snow and rain/cold, but can also run in higher temperatures and on dry pavement without damage. This gives you flexibility on when to switch tire sets. Not recommended for deep snow or ice.

For the non-winter set, it sounds like your priorities are good efficiency, affordble, and good looks. In this case I might suggest 19" wheels in your choice of style, with a decent all-season grand touring tire such as:

Yokohama Avid Ascend GT 235/40R19
Continental PureContact LS 235/40R19
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus 235/40R19

For the wheels, if you're budget-conscious you will need to look at cast wheels, and I'd recommend a 19x8.5 size with a 35-40mm offset. There are several in the $160 - $250 range on tirerack.com. Also, both TSportline.com and EVWheelDirect.com have turbine-style wheels available, although they're in the $350 range.

long time no see @AMIYY4YOU. I was planning to get another set of OEM wheels so I can swap over the aero covers. I think if you're going to go through the trouble of swapping out the wheels 2x a year, you might as well just get summer tires instead of all seasons.

This first year, I intended to use the stock all-seasons for... all seasons. They're performing just fine for me in the winter. However, next year I am planning to get a set of winter tires. I did that for the S (Michelin X-Ice) and they are terrific. By next winter, I think the all seasons will be sufficiently worn that I'll want to toss those anyway.

Tirerack.com had some nice looking wheels for Model 3, if you you want to show a bit more rotor during the summer.
Yea I've been MIA that's for sure. Exactly my thoughts on both how worn the all seasons will be when I need to replace them and getting dedicated summer tires if I'm going to have dedicated snow tires.

Given that you're in Boston, I'd use dedicated winter tires in 18" on Aero rims:

Michelin X-Ice XI3 235/45R18
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 235/45R18

Other options might be the Nokian WR G4 235/45R18, the Vredestein Quatrac 5 235/45R18, or the new Michelin CrossClimate+ 235/45R18. These are all-weather tires whic sit kind of in-between a winter tire and an all-season. Useful for light snow and rain/cold, but can also run in higher temperatures and on dry pavement without damage. This gives you flexibility on when to switch tire sets. Not recommended for deep snow or ice.

For the non-winter set, it sounds like your priorities are good efficiency, affordble, and good looks. In this case I might suggest 19" wheels in your choice of style, with a decent all-season grand touring tire such as:

Yokohama Avid Ascend GT 235/40R19
Continental PureContact LS 235/40R19
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus 235/40R19

For the wheels, if you're budget-conscious you will need to look at cast wheels, and I'd recommend a 19x8.5 size with a 35-40mm offset. There are several in the $160 - $250 range on tirerack.com. Also, both TSportline.com and EVWheelDirect.com have turbine-style wheels available, although they're in the $350 range.
Thanks for the info! The michelin x ice seem really great. Tire rack is selling for $810 For a set of 4. My local costco has the exact same tires for $870 but they have a $70 off promotion. Also that $870 price includes installation of all 4 so maybe I'll just do that..

Then I'll probably buy a wheel tire combo on Tire rack or discount tire for the summer tires once I've done some research since they'll mount and balance them for free. Thank you for all your input!

Don't know yet as it's not spring! lol

Costco had a 1 day sale on 1/1/2019 where they had a set of 4 for $70 off plus a 25% rebate so I had them installed this month instead of waiting for spring. Saving $270 was too much pressure to wait.

The tires were developed to be competitive with other tires on rolling resistance. I make a multiple 100+ mile trips each week so I'll find out this spring.

I look forward to the 30' shorter 60-0 stops with these new summer tires.
Ah, ok.

I'm planning on buying some 18" TSTs for my summer wheels. I'm debating whether or not to switch to PS4S immediately or just run the OEMs down first. The MXM4's are terrible tires but they are no-cost right now.