Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need opinions on two dedicated sets of tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so I think I've decided...

Winter set -
Wheels ->
Stock Aero wheels 18"

Tires ->
Michelin X-Ice XI3 235/45/R18
Subtotal = $870 after $70 michelin rebate thru Costco

Performance set -
Wheels ->
ASA GT14
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+3&autoYear=2018&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel+Drive&initialPartNumber=GT149854BMF&i1_Qty=4&wheelMake=ASA&wheelModel=GT14&wheelFinish=Machined+w/Black+Accent&wheelFinish=Machined+w/Black+Accent&showRear=no&packageFlow=false
$198 per wheel
Subtotal = $1034.32 after having them install $57 TPMS on each wheel and stem cap

Tires ->
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
$223 per tire
Subtotal = $881.96 after $70 michelin rebate thru Costco

Anyone have thoughts on my choices above? Buying TPMS sensors installed right in the ASA GT14 wheels from tirerack or buying tires from Costco?

i like those GT14's, and I considered similar wheels. But in the end, I felt like wheels in this style were pretty similar to the factory 18" wheels without aero cover, and for my money I wanted something quite different than what I already had.
That said, they will look great.

OK.. interesting turn of events. Costco has a huge package promo with Velox wheels going on today so I cancelled my orders for the tirerack deal. Has anyone had experience with Velox wheels?? They seem very lightweight and with the current promo of $150 off a set of 4 and an additional $100 off with the purchase of a set of michelin tires, it seems like I can get everything for around $1400 which is pretty phenomenal for nice michelin PS4s tires!'

Also another question - any opinions on 18x8 vs 18x9 wheels? It looks like Velox only has those two sizes and no 8.5" width.. I wouldn't think going with the 18x8 would yield any noticeably worse performance.. if anything I'd think it would be better fuel economy since the wheels weigh around 21 lbs.

Last edited:
Interesting, I never saw an option to get the 18s with all-seasons, only winter tires. (But I suppose I only started paying attention to the Tesla store from Nov. last year) Maybe once the winter season is over, the wheel/tire option will switch back to a non-winter tire combo...
Sorry, maybe you and I are missing each other. When you buy the Model 3 with 18" wheels, it comes with the MXM4 tires. If you're looking at the Tesla accessories store, the only full set in 18" are with winter tires.

OP, I'm not too far from you. Similar weather and road conditions. I'm keeping the stock Michelin all-seasons on, and I may just thrash them in the next month and a half. They've only got 13K miles on them, but they're not impressive at all. They do handle many different conditions OK, but none particularly well.

For summers, I'm probably going to put some Pilot 4S's on some 19s or 20s. In winter, I'll put the 18s back on, and probably get some proper snow tires (Blizzaks or Nokians)

Interesting, I never saw an option to get the 18s with all-seasons, only winter tires. (But I suppose I only started paying attention to the Tesla store from Nov. last year) Maybe once the winter season is over, the wheel/tire option will switch back to a non-winter tire combo...

From the store, you can buy a winter package, but when you purchase the car, 18s and 19s come w/Michelin all-seasons, the 20s(performance) comes w/Pilot 4S's

OP, I'm not too far from you. Similar weather and road conditions. I'm keeping the stock Michelin all-seasons on, and I may just thrash them in the next month and a half. They've only got 13K miles on them, but they're not impressive at all. They do handle many different conditions OK, but none particularly well.

For summers, I'm probably going to put some Pilot 4S's on some 19s or 20s. In winter, I'll put the 18s back on, and probably get some proper snow tires (Blizzaks or Nokians)

Nice! Exactly what I ended up doing but screw the 20" tires. I got a nice set of dedicated PS4S for summer on nice lightweight alloy wheels from Costco ($1500 for everything) and I'm going to do the exact same by getting michelin x ice and having them installed on my stock wheels by costco for $15/tire.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
@AMIYY4YOU,

What are your goals for the non-winter set? Are you planning to do any performance driving on a track, do you need to drive long distances where range and energy use may be a concern, do you want a soft/comfortable ride, do you need emphasis on wet traction because you live in a rainy area, do you want a low-profile look, etc.

Can you rank the following factors in order of importance:

1. Dry traction/handling/cornering
2. Wet traction/handling/cornering
3. Ride comfort
4. Noise
5. Cost/Price/Budget
6. Tread longevity
7. Energy use / efficiency
8. Looks / low profile
9. Track use / performance

If you can rank those, I can give you some good recommendations.

Just ordered my Model 3 LR AWD - I live in NY state and need to be able to drive in 1-5 inches of snow about 5-10 times a winter, but I live near a metro area and am not likely to ever need to drive in deep snow (6+ inches).. I'm willing to get a 2nd set of wheels to have dedicated winter tires. I've seen lots of tire recommendations in various threads, but I'm hoping to get some sort of a consensus recommendation for my situation/desires for 2 sets to cover me for the full season.

Important note for my below rankings, I care very little about handling & cornering, my #1 concern is traction (safety) in all conditions (except for deep snow).

1. Dry traction/handling/cornering
2. Wet traction/handling/cornering
3. Ride comfort
4. Noise
5. Energy use / efficiency
6. Cost/Price/Budget
7. Tread longevity
8. Looks / low profile
9. Track use / performance

Just ordered my Model 3 LR AWD - I live in NY state and need to be able to drive in 1-5 inches of snow about 5-10 times a winter, but I live near a metro area and am not likely to ever need to drive in deep snow (6+ inches).. I'm willing to get a 2nd set of wheels to have dedicated winter tires. I've seen lots of tire recommendations in various threads, but I'm hoping to get some sort of a consensus recommendation for my situation/desires for 2 sets to cover me for the full season.

Important note for my below rankings, I care very little about handling & cornering, my #1 concern is traction (safety) in all conditions (except for deep snow).

If you'd like to run two separate sets, then you could use:

Pirelli Sottozero 3 as the winter set, and
either the Michelin Primacy MXM4 or the Vredestein Quatrac 5 as the summer set.

Given that you only drive in the snow a few times per year, and the snow is a light snow, you may give some thought to using one of the newer all-weather tires year-round. The Vredestein Quatrac 5 above would do this, as would the Michelin CrossClimate+.

Note these links are for the 18" tires. If you're getting 19" wheels on your LR AWD 3, then you would need the 19" versions of these.