Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need pricing advice and if anyone interested??

Trying to see if I can get good price for my PRE AP 2014 Model S 85 or maybe someone has a minivan for trade?
my S85 is 2014
- Midnight Grey Metallic
- Napa Grey leather
- FREE LIFETIME SUPERCHARGING
- 35000 miles
- I'm the second owner in CA, car originally sold in Hawaii
- Clean Title (carfax available)
- 19 Slipstream wheels ( no curb rush) and MXM4 tires in good shape
- Tesla replaced rear motor, door handles, dash screen, windshield
- Two sets of keys
- Abstract Ocean LED upgrade all around the car
- Abstract Ocean MCU Screen protector
- Smart Air Suspension
- California HOV stickers good till 2023
- High Fidelity sound system with a subwoofer
- All weather mats
- Sun roof
- Tint all around, 3M Crystaline (70% windshield, 50% front sides, 20% all rear and 70% roof)
- Has existing warranty till 2022
etc

Car in great shape, does have few scratches here and there from a daily driving, nothing serious

Growing family needs a larger vehicle, MX is just out of budget
Looking for Odyssey, Pacifica or Sienna

Not sure how much I should ask, I was thinking around $40k is fare price assuming it has lifetime free supercharging and HOV stickers and overall shape?

Car located in Bay Area

DM me if you want more info

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 3.17.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 3.17.52 PM.png
    6 MB · Views: 88
KBB puts your private party value at $43,997, this is the most your car might be worth. Get offers from Tesla, Vroom, and Carvana, that is the lowest your car is worth. Shoot for the $44,000 and take anything above the trade in offers that you are happy with. I don't think you are far off at $40,000, although being pre-autopilot won't help.

GLWS!

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
KBB puts your private party value at $43,997, this is the most your car might be worth. Get offers from Tesla, Vroom, and Carvana, that is the lowest your car is worth. Shoot for the $44,000 and take anything above the trade in offers that you are happy with. I don't think you are far off at $40,000, although being pre-autopilot won't help.

GLWS!

You cannot really go with KBB with these cars.
$44?? you're just giving him pointless reason for hope. I've seen 2016 S75/70 (some facelift) even some Ds with AP for that price.

This one should be a bit over 30k.

You cannot really go with KBB with these cars.
$44?? you're just giving him pointless reason for hope. I've seen 2016 S75/70 (some facelift) even some Ds with AP for that price.

This one should be a bit over 30k.

I didn't say he would get $44k. I told him to get trade in offers and take anything between that and KBB that he could live with. You can't always just cherrypick a few good deals you have seen in the past as market value. Currently the most comparable from tesla is a 2014 with 27,000 miles for $46,800. Event accounting for the 2 year warranty (~$3,000) I don't understand how you get to a bit over $30k.

When you are selling something do you look at what the cheapest that item has ever sold for and list for that price or do you look at what comparable items are listed for and start there? I definitely am against the people who try price used cars higher than new but i disagree with the rock bottom 'values' for older used cars. Im activity in the market and I guess it would benefit me to tell everyone their car is worth $25k but it just isn't the case. I use the same rationale with used Tesla's I use with every other thing I have ever bought or sold.

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
Ok, maybe the 85s are valued a bit higher but that one from Tesla for $46,800 seems just way too high. I'm not advocating going for rock bottom prices but the used S marked it crazy as it is and it's just going to get worse if sellers keep asking the highest possible price just to see if anyone bites.

In this case, the "right" price is probably in the middle between Tesla/carmax/vroom quote and what the seller thinks he should ask.

Ok, maybe the 85s are valued a bit higher but that one from Tesla for $46,800 seems just way too high. I'm not advocating going for rock bottom prices but the used S marked it crazy as it is and it's just going to get worse if sellers keep asking the highest possible price just to see if anyone bites.

In this case, the "right" price is probably in the middle between Tesla/carmax/vroom quote and what the seller thinks he should ask.

I’ll agree the used S market is nuts. I wish I was shopping back in June/July. I can find tons of deals in the first half of the year I would’ve jumped on but now there is like nothing. Even Tesla used to sell their “CPO” cars consistently low $30’s and even some in the $20’s now they basically start in the $40’s.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and Daniel_6

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
I’ll agree the used S market is nuts. I wish I was shopping back in June/July. I can find tons of deals in the first half of the year I would’ve jumped on but now there is like nothing. Even Tesla used to sell their “CPO” cars consistently low $30’s and even some in the $20’s now they basically start in the $40’s.

...and now they've stripped free supercharging and last I heard they don't include EAP/FSD either anymore. Also quality-wise, buying a used S from Tesla is a pure gamble nowadays. All this is sort of in the advantage of private sellers but things even out: buying private is more hassle free and you get a chance to see the car, get free supercharging but no full used 4 years warranty...

Reactions: Draketurner
Are you sure that you cannot find a used Model X that is in your budget? You are going to go back to a gasser?
unfortunately not seeing anything in my budget, either MX60 or just over $70k
have to go back to gas if my family demands for a bigger vehicle and MX will still be out of budget
I saw few CPO on tesla's website with nearly 100k miles for $30k.... but they were gone in just minutes

Growing family....would rear facing seats help? Might be able to add those relatively cheap, if you shop around and look for a deal. I have them and my kids love them. Literally, love them. They cry when I take them out...

Also, I have an aero Thule roof box thingy I can place on the top with roof bars that I can use as storage, when theres is no space in the S.

Maybe not practical for you, just thought I'd throw it out there.

If you’re not purchasing new than you’re paying top dollar now compared to 3-5 months ago. Once Tesla’s used cars ran out (which they caused such a decline in depreciation) all dealers and private sellers know they can ask for more now. Supply and demand is definitely in favor of demand for used Tesla’s now.

OK, after months going back and forth I want try again.
Searched for similar cars in my area, with same mileage, condition and equipment and I think $39k is a fair price.
I'll post more pics tomorrow

Car got new MCU screen due to bubbles, installed by Tesla
Also got LTE upgrade

Meanwhile feel free to check my instagram Esenbek Aliev (@esenbek_aliev) • Instagram photos and videos for more pictures

I was in the exact same situation. Tho we didn't need a minivan, we did need an SUV for those times our high school senior and college senior kids went on trips with us. Our S is fine when my wife and I travel, but not nearly as much room or as comfortable as a full size SUV.

I watched and waited, desperately hoping the used prices of the X 100D pre-raven would fall enough to allow me to get one instead of a gasser.

As we were watching, we considered several high end SUVs - Audi Q7 was one we looked hard at. Even found a super good deal on a 2016. But I couldn't pull the trigger. I just felt like if I waited a couple more weeks, especially at the end of the 2nd quarter, prices would drop and we would get the car we really wanted.

Unfortunately, most people buying used simply didn't go check the price of a new model X with more range and upgraded suspension because people were actually paying MORE for used than a new one.

I gave up. We needed an SUV. But we came up with a clever plan. We decided that, instead of paying a bunch of money for a super nice SUV, we'd get a much cheaper one that would allow us to keep our S (that's our baby) and possibly buy an X in a couple of years without taking a huge hit on selling the gasser SUV.

We wound up buying a fully loaded Kia Sorento SXL with 26,000 miles for $22,000. It's OK. It's not terrible. It will do the job.

So my wife is even driving it to work instead of racking up so many miles on our S. We'll get by with it for a couple of years, and when the first great deal on a X 100D comes along, I'm going to pounce.

Cool thing is, buying this car has really motivated my wife to save up for an X. She's cut back on a lot of her spending to make sure we get the X as quickly as possible.

Target

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2018
Chicago Land
The Pacifica has a plug in hybrid version. It is no Tesla, but at least your local stuff would still be electric. Wander into a Chrysler dealer and see what they offer you on trade for a Pacifica (if you want one) who knows, it might make sense to do the trade with them.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC