Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need recommendation for window tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Btrflyl8e

MSLR, W/W 21s FSD 1145 DEL 11/26 VIN MF454
Supporting Member
Mar 24, 2013
Seminole, FL
Has anyone in the Tampa Bay area gotten window tinting? If so, have any recommendations on installer, products, darkness, etc? I think I have made up my mind on having mine done but want to make sure the job is done right!

Robbie Reese out of Winter Haven, FL tinted my S and the 535i. I believe it was 15% rear windows, 30% front. Perfect.

He does travel to the Tampa area for tint, but tries to hold off until he can hit two cars in one day. I can check with him if you would like.

Beware of anyone too cheap. I checked with several places and they were all in the range of $240-$275; you have to figure that it's >2 hours of labor plus materials so if someone is charging $150 then they're cutting corners somewhere. Also don't skimp on quality materials, everyone I ever spoke to said use 3M and you can check out options here and check for authorized stockists by zip code.

Hi, Nigel! Thanks for your lack of confidence vote :)

Sounds like you've been getting ripped off.

Having multiple premium luxury cars tinted by an independent person that cuts a deal on travel gigs (as he does not use a facility those days) has solidified my trust. He uses Llumar ATC series film, which is highly regarded.

I'll see if he wants his info posted here or if I should just forward contact info directly - as it is just his cell phone and most of him time is exclusively purchased by a dealer chain in central FL.

Hi, Nigel! Thanks for your lack of confidence vote :)

Sounds like you've been getting ripped off.

Ummm no I haven't, I checked with 4 different reputable shops and they were all within $20 of each other. All I did was put up a warning to beware the pitfalls of getting work done too cheaply. Winter Haven is 50mi from Tampa but if the guy can do two hours work plus an hour each way plus travel costs plus materials for $150 AND do a good quality job then great.

Llumar ATC20 is good but the Total Solar Energy Rejection is 39% while with the 3M CS20 the TSER is 51% - the 3M product is going to help the car stay significantly cooler.

I had mine done at Precision Car Audio & Window Tint: http://www.813pca.com/6.html on E.Adamo (corner of 301 and 60). You need to call for an appointment.

They did an awesome job, I chose 3M Color Stable 20% and the cost was $260. It took about 2 hours and afterwards I popped over to the Tesla SC a mile down the road, the guys there were impressed with the work.

Having mine done here next Saturday just in time for the tampa party

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just to throw in another opinion - I have used a guy in Jacksonville on the base at NAS, and he used Johnson film. We have had 5 cars done by him, with excellent results and no problems what so-ever, and have been using him since 2000. On one of the cars, the tint is almost 10 years old, and it looks just like the day it was placed. In fact - we have an appointment on Tuesday of this week to have the S done there.

In case anyone cares, I ended up going to Precision Car Audio as well. I also went with the 3m Color Stable and did 20% all windows. I am very pleased with the look and the job that was done so far. Yay, it was pretty hot without tint!