Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need recommendation on 200A panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm planning to upgrade my electric panel to 200A, wire in a EV level 2 charger, and future-proof it for a solar + powerwall install in the future.

So from reading all the posts, I'm think I'm supposed to get:
* 225A bus rating
* Probably surface mount to make future connections easier without drilling more holes into the wall

It seems like the Square D are suggested here quite often. Will this one do the trick?

Thanks!

The main service panel being fancy only matters if you go solar-only without batteries. If you have batteries, you'll end up with a backup loads panel and lots of your loads will shift behind the gateway.

If solar-only is your future... can you get one of these so you can then tell us how bad-azz (or not bad-azz) it is?

Edit, I guess Solar Edge is making a battery + solar combo that works with this Square D smart main panel. So... I guess if you don't go with Tesla, then this main panel would be pretty baller.

That panel is pretty great. It can do anything you want a panel to do:
Install the solar subfeed lug kit SR69064A with a fused disconnect and backfeed up to 200A through the factory connection before the Main breaker.
Install the 4 pole 200A breaker on the distribution bus and run a whole home backup system with 5 Powerwalls and 8 kW of PV.

The main service panel being fancy only matters if you go solar-only without batteries. If you have batteries, you'll end up with a backup loads panel and lots of your loads will shift behind the gateway.

Thanks for this pointer. On a related note, does this mean I can only use the battery for things connected to the "backup loads panel," even if there isn't a power outage?

I was hoping to use the powerwall for everything at night until it's discharged.

Thanks for this pointer. On a related note, does this mean I can only use the battery for things connected to the "backup loads panel," even if there isn't a power outage?

I was hoping to use the powerwall for everything at night until it's discharged.
If you have a battery system with either partial or whole home backup, the batteries can discharge to offset the demand of any load which is measured by the CT Meters.

Reactions: jjrandorin

"It depends" (on how your specific home is setup, where the load centers are, the CTs the monitor the load etc).

Most houses can be setup to push battery power to the entire home (when the grid is up) even if there are some loads that are left in the main service panel. "most" isnt "all" though, and it depends on where things are relative to each other.

Reactions: Ampster
If you have a battery system with either partial or whole home backup, the batteries can discharge to offset the demand of any load which is measured by the CT Meters.

One small addition, make sure you get your system from a company that knows what they're doing; because getting a local installer to put CT's on non-backup loads (for when the grid is operational) SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.

I like the plan of doing the panel upgrade separately / prior to solar/batteries.
If it's done as part of the solar installation, often you don't get a choice of what brand/type it is.

For mine, they went to the supply house that morning and came back with whatever they had in stock. Still not 100% happy about that.

Tesla gateway uses Eaton breakers, I got a Square D homeline, but there were other panels that would have been better cosmetically if not functionally.
(the placement meant other stuff on that outside wall is kinda out-of-reach now).

I like the plan of doing the panel upgrade separately / prior to solar/batteries.
If it's done as part of the solar installation, often you don't get a choice of what brand/type it is.

For mine, they went to the supply house that morning and came back with whatever they had in stock. Still not 100% happy about that.

Tesla gateway uses Eaton breakers, I got a Square D homeline, but there were other panels that would have been better cosmetically if not functionally.
(the placement meant other stuff on that outside wall is kinda out-of-reach now).
Yeah, I mainly want to do it prior because I'm getting my siding done soon. I know the Tesla install will likely by months away so I don't want to rip out the siding again. The fear is I get a panel that's not compatible and I'll waste another $4k. In fact, I tried calling Tesla to see if they could recommend a compatible panel and they wouldn't until they do a site visit. They urged me not to do any electrical work prior to their site visit.