Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need recommendations after dog scratched my door's interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I decided to bring my dog along for the very short trip down my street to pick up my kids from the school bus stop. While waiting for the bus to arrive, a squirrel ran across the road immediately in front of where I was parked and my dog went a little crazy. Below is a pic of the damage on one of the back doors. Can the leather be repaired or at least made to be less noticeable? Is my only solution a service center visit? Needless to say I will not need dog mode as my pup is now banned from the Tesla.

Attachments

• IMG_4199.JPG
    IMG_4199.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 3,218
I don't think the money spend on repairing would make it look much less bad, especially on the Alcantara insert.

I'd replace the door card if it bothers you, or just put one of those doggy guards on the door, to hide the damage. I couldn't boot my dog from my car, so I bought the Orvis Dog Hammock. I didn't buy the door protectors, but If the dog does damage them at least I wont have to look at the damage. Besides my kids will likely do as much or worse, to the back seat.

Reactions: outdoors
Oh my. Bad dog for messing up your owner's car. Sure he's sorry. Was it just the door or did your leather seats get torn up too? I think the damage to the upper portion would be hard to mask as it's textured and the damage looks kind of deep in spots from your photo -- bumps. That lower alcantara probably much easier to get more presentable. I think I'd be going to service and seeing if they can order a panel to replace the upper portion at the least (wonder if there's a salvage yard nearby you could get a cheaper part at if you are a DIY type person--no idea what the removal and installation would entail). I'm too in love with my car to let it stay damaged and if I had a dog wouldn't want to see the reminder of the squirrel incident all the time. I've only had cats and have had a few window screens torn by claws when a fellow cat was outside the window. Window screening, not so expensive to replace though. As someone who loves my car, sorry this happened to yours.

Oh wow, that's pretty bad. I also have a couple marks similar to yours. Thing is, I've had dogs in all my 10 different cars. The Model 3 is the 1st, and only, car to receive damage like this. And in record time, no less. In addition, if you peruse other forums then you'll have other incidences of the material scratching, marring, and even ripping from people's shoes and such. Even the dash has seen scratches from people wiping it off. The plastics used in the center console are constructed of thin, cheap plastic. And with the fingerprint-and-scratch-magnet piano black, everyone is running out putting vinyl wrapping around everything (including me). And paint problems galore. The materials, I hate to say, are quite subpar from a durability standpoint, even when comparing to many cars of lesser luxury/premium status.

Also, I've disassembled most of the interior of my car, and the material used on the doors is exceptionally thin, likely a huge contributor to the marks we've both experienced. Oddly enough though, most comments I've read chalk it all up to "dusting more delicately", "don't touch the paint", "get a ceramic coating", "be more careful", etc... I think most owners feel an obligation defend or make justifications to these issues, rather than admit their cars may be produced with lesser materials.

That said, there are definite pluses of the Model 3 as well. But that wasn't the point of my rant. :p

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K and WilliamG
So I decided to bring my dog along for the very short trip down my street to pick up my kids from the school bus stop. While waiting for the bus to arrive, a squirrel ran across the road immediately in front of where I was parked and my dog went a little crazy. Below is a pic of the damage on one of the back doors. Can the leather be repaired or at least made to be less noticeable? Is my only solution a service center visit? Needless to say I will not need dog mode as my pup is now banned from the Tesla.

I’ve used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser from
Costco with excellent results. After gently rubbing out a scratch with the eraser, I’ve then used an Armor All spray protectant, and it looked brand new!

Sure, I have some advice.

Be careful on how you beat the dog. Make sure no one sees and don’t leave marks.

Do you hunt? Accidents do happen.