Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need replacement tires Continental, Michelin, Hankook for Model 3 long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. It's the mileage warranty. The A/S 4s are rated for 45k miles and you can get a prorated rebate for the mileage difference.
Okay, so you replaced them when the treads had worn out, yes?

That's my problem. I have to wait until the tread wears out on my noisy Vredesteins before I can get something quieter. And they have amazing tread life.

First world problems.

How do these ION’s compare to the PS4S comfort and noise? Love the PS4S but wearing quickly as we put on about 20k miles a year.

I know you were curious about Summer tires, but thought I'd share some info on the All Seasons that may translate to be similar for Hankook's Summer tires.

For some context, I have had Michelin PS4 All Seasons and Summer sets for all my previous cars including the current M3P and MYP. Very familiar with them. Excellent tires, just loud.

We just got back from a road trip that my wife and I frequent. About 300 miles one way. Before leaving for any trip, during and after the trip I write down the nerdy details.

MYP w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons (255/45R19 @ 42psi) with two passengers, two carry ons and some random bags = 345 Wh/mi (Avg. speed no less than 75MPH, but a good chuck of it at 80 MPH with a lot of 85 MPH stretches.)

MYP w/ Hankook iON EVO SUV All Seasons (255/45R19 @ 42psi) with two passengers, two carry ons and some random bags = 328 Wh/mi (Avg. speed no less than 75MPH, but a good chuck of it at 80 MPH with a lot of 85 MPH stretches.)

Both trips with very similar temps with a delta of only 4 degrees Fahrenheit. Dry conditions and ironically very similar wind direction and speed during those days.

Here's the thing. With the data riding on the Hankook's, in addition to the original cargo, the car was loaded with IKEA shelves, drawer set, pottery, bags of dirt for plants, a cooler full of ICE and drinks, and two boxes w/ 25ft 6 gauge extension cords.

The Hankook's performed about 5% better than the Michelin's in the scenario above and I believe they claim a 6.3% increase in efficiency. Given the handicap above I say that they're pretty spot on being in the claimed ball park.

What we find to be a huge sigh of relief is how much quieter the Hankook's are. NVH is hard to quantify, but the Hankook's are without a shadow of a doubt much quieter than the Michelin's. The tone is a lot lower with a mellow houl vs the high pitch roar of the Michelin's.

The recent experience with the Hankook's has be wanting to get them for my M3P as well, which are riding on the Michelin PS4 All Seasons. If I don't sell my Michelin's now while they are very young, I'll definitely be getting the iON's next.

In my opinion, I think the Michelin PS4 AS are among the best all around tires out there that does everything well. The only category it falls short is with the noise. However, having had the chance to drive a M3P with the Hankook's in wet condition and now owning them on our MYP, there's a new kid on the block that easily should be on anyone's short list of AS tires.

If their Summer tires are as good as their All Seasons, we could soon see a shift in the pecking order.

Although there are several threads out there related to tire comparisons, I may make one specific to my experiences between Michelin and Hankook. We'll see...

Their new Ion tires might be a different thing, people are giving them great reviews so far. The Kinergy GT suck (as seen by reviews on TireRack). Total Tesla cheap-out. But probably the Michelin factories were backlogged with supply issues.

There's also a Pirelli "Elect" EV specific variation which should be an option.
The 18” Kinergy GT are quieter than Michelin MXM4. I know for I have 2 M3LR. One has Michelin MXM4, the other has has Kinergy GT.

They are very highly rated by everyone, I couldn't find much data/threads about how they do efficiency/noise wise on an EV, from what I recall they're like -5% vs EV centric tires and not as quiet as foam lined tires but also not the noisiest?
Here is my consumption on my first rotation with them. 6,000mi+ in and I can say i'm still happy with them. I drive maybe like 60%~ freeway and 40% city/suburbs, but Houston has been really hot lately which has been inching up my average consumption due to the A/C use. My Michelin's prior to switching were around 257wh/mi. Sept 2021 LR Dual Motor Model 3 w/ 18" wheels and aero covers.

IMG_9054.jpeg
I think the only downside i've found coming from the Pilot Sport A/S 4 is that the Continentals don't corner as hard as the Michelins, but that could be why the continentals are a more comfortable ride and less jarring for daily driver use.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic and enemji
Here is my consumption on my first rotation with them. 6,000mi+ in and I can say i'm still happy with them. I drive maybe like 60%~ freeway and 40% city/suburbs, but Houston has been really hot lately which has been inching up my average consumption due to the A/C use. My Michelin's prior to switching were around 257wh/mi. Sept 2021 LR Dual Motor Model 3 w/ 18" wheels and aero covers.

View attachment 960051I think the only downside i've found coming from the Pilot Sport A/S 4 is that the Continentals don't corner as hard as the Michelins, but that could be why the continentals are a more comfortable ride and less jarring for daily driver use.
If I understand this right, you're talking about the DWS06+ using 267Wh/mi vs the PSAS4 @ 257Wh/mi? So more or less the same since conditions have gotten a bit hotter lately?

If so that sounds about right, from the one source I found rolling resistance values for those tires, they're damn near identical.

I do wish there's a more efficient tire that grips as hard as those two, but I guess that's just physically impossible.

If I understand this right, you're talking about the DWS06+ using 267Wh/mi vs the PSAS4 @ 257Wh/mi? So more or less the same since conditions have gotten a bit hotter lately?

If so that sounds about right, from the one source I found rolling resistance values for those tires, they're damn near identical.

I do wish there's a more efficient tire that grips as hard as those two, but I guess that's just physically impossible.
Yup when I first put the DWS06+ on I was around 260wh/mi but they were also new.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
I picked up a M3 LR yesterday with ~15k miles and the fronts were at 6/32" and rears at 5/32". I don't think the previous owner rotated them before so I scheduled an appointment for later this week. These are the 18" Michelin MXM4s I believe, which come with 8/32" on the OEM tires and 10/32" with replacements.

When the time comes to replace them, it'll either be Conti DWS06+ ($1000 out-the-door) or Hankook ION EVO ($1250 out-the-door). I'm not sure if the extra efficiency will be worth the $250, hopefully there'll be more concrete results out within the next year or two.

When I measured my MXM4s at 15k miles the fronts and rears were 6/32" and 5/32" and I rotated the tires shortly thereafter. Now at 20k miles, the measurements are 5/32" and 6/32", so maybe there's hope for seeing 30k out of these tires after all... Still eyeing those ION EVO 18" tires as replacements once the MXM4s are down to 3/32" or so.