Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need roadster advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for everyone responding. Tesla did sell the red one listed. Did find a white 2.0 on ebay but noticed two things that concerned me
1. Although in "perfect condition" maintenance required warning lit
2. Appears to be 85% charged but range 152 which would mean 180 when fully charged. 4 yrs old seems large decrease for a car with 8000 miles. Is there an ideal versus realistic value for the roadster or has it really lost that much battery. My surprise with this loss is that my MS has only lost 2 miles of range in over 18 months and twice the mileage

2. Appears to be 85% charged but range 152 which would mean 180 when fully charged. 4 yrs old seems large decrease for a car with 8000 miles. Is there an ideal versus realistic value for the roadster or has it really lost that much battery. My surprise with this loss is that my MS has only lost 2 miles of range in over 18 months and twice the mileage
That sounds about right if it's in standard mode. Mine shows 176@95% charged in standard mode.

Thanks for everyone responding. Tesla did sell the red one listed. Did find a white 2.0 on ebay but noticed two things that concerned me
1. Although in "perfect condition" maintenance required warning lit

That just means it's due for annual service.

Bear in mind that the Roadster "hides" approximately 20% of the total vehicle range when in Standard mode. It doesn't fully charge the pack, AND it doesn't show the full range either.

My 4 year old Roadster shows 285 km (178 miles) when fully charged in Standard mode. 85% of that is 151 miles. Sounds like this vehicle is normal.

That just means it's due for annual service.

Bear in mind that the Roadster "hides" approximately 20% of the total vehicle range when in Standard mode. It doesn't fully charge the pack, AND it doesn't show the full range either.

My 4 year old Roadster shows 285 km (178 miles) when fully charged in Standard mode. 85% of that is 151 miles. Sounds like this vehicle is normal.
Thanks for the info. Over thinking it. Very excited. So is my wife. Had to keep secret when I arranged for model S. Wife would not get into it for three months. Now she has come around. Of course making enough on the stock to retire on didn't hurt her accepting it either. Now wife is even more excited to get car than I am

Tesla no longer updates it's Pre owned roadster page on the website because they come and go so fast... But they so always have a handful available... Your best bet is to email Ryan Kennedy at Tesla via their pre owned roadster page for an updated list of available roadsters
Yes they do. I tried to get a cpo from Toronto but they will not import. Was so discouraged I bought one from private owner pending inspection (flying out tomorrow to do so). But Ryan Kennedy, who knew my situation called to see if I was interested in one being traded in. Already committed. Do not wait for update of web site.

Yes they do. I tried to get a cpo from Toronto but they will not import. Was so discouraged I bought one from private owner pending inspection (flying out tomorrow to do so). But Ryan Kennedy, who knew my situation called to see if I was interested in one being traded in. Already committed. Do not wait for update of web site.

Curious to know how much the Toronto one was being going for? (you can reply privately if you prefer)
Was it a green one? (If so, there's a good chance it's a lease return from around here in the Montreal area).

'Already committed' means you're going for the private one or CPO one?
I had to go private because there were not a lot of CPOs (or used ones for that matter) here in the Great White North
but I made sure it was still under warranty and I bought the extended warranty immediately after from Tesla.

Best of luck in your transaction either way!!!

Curious to know how much the Toronto one was being going for? (you can reply privately if you prefer)
Was it a green one? (If so, there's a good chance it's a lease return from around here in the Montreal area).

'Already committed' means you're going for the private one or CPO one?
I had to go private because there were not a lot of CPOs (or used ones for that matter) here in the Great White North
but I made sure it was still under warranty and I bought the extended warranty immediately after from Tesla.

Best of luck in your transaction either way!!!
There were two in Toronto. One a green the other red. The green was less expensive, the red was listed at 109,000 Canadian dollars. Not giving away secrets, they will send you a PDF if you ask. I went with the private one, lower mileage and less expensive. Battery warrantee still in place as is a couple months of the regular 3 year. Savings was very substantial and would pay for a warrantee repair. The cpo option came up after I already committed. When they wouldn't sell the Canadian one is US, there were no cpo cars available. Another advantage was that the one I got included a high power wall unit (70 amp). Not come thing I would have purchased but will install it. Good luck.

BTW be very careful someone tried to sell a 2.0 version as a sport to me. When checking out vin number realized not a sport (see thread on interpretation of vins). This person actually appears on financial shows and has a solid reputation as a company CEO, maybe just an error on his part although I am sure an original owner knows the difference

good luck

Battery warrantee still in place as is a couple months of the regular 3 year.
The battery warranty is worthless. I have a full extended warranty and my range is down at 159 ideal miles (CAC 129) which Tesla say has "no abnormal degradation with respect to your vehicle’s battery and that it is operating within normal operating parameters"... buyer beware.

IMG_4703.PNG

The battery warranty is worthless. I have a full extended warranty and my range is down at 159 ideal miles (CAC 129) which Tesla say has "no abnormal degradation with respect to your vehicle’s battery and that it is operating within normal operating parameters"... buyer beware.

That sounds rather disconcerting - not that I think it is an excuse, but may I ask how many miles your Roadster has? Did Tesla make you any offer at all?

Not sure I call your battery warranty exactly worthless in your case, I'm guessing your on the edge of having a brick becoming truly abnormal in regards to the expected lifetime amp hour normal degradation window. I give more time, or maybe do some heavy loading on the ESS (full throttle in performance) with large SOC swings (full to empty) might cause that brick to fully go abnormal.

Also I know you got the USB logs, have you compared each of the bricks voltage and SOC against each other i.e.
ahr.log file - seems useful for keeping an eye on your brick/sheets health

Not sure I call your battery warranty exactly worthless in your case, I'm guessing your on the edge of having a brick becoming truly abnormal in regards to the expected lifetime amp hour normal degradation window. I give more time, or maybe do some heavy loading on the ESS (full throttle in performance) with large SOC swings (full to empty) might cause that brick to fully go abnormal.

I was going to suggest this; spaceballs beat me to it. If you drive it hard for a couple of weeks it will probably reach a state where your warranty will cover it. Tesla is also coming out with a ~400mi pack and if you can get by with poor range for a few months, Tesla might (should) give you a discount on the pack upgrade. Maybe you can negotiate something now?

I know that spaceballs or anybody in the ahr.log thread would be able to give you a lot more info about your pack if you sent them a recent log file.

I was going to suggest this; spaceballs beat me to it. If you drive it hard for a couple of weeks it will probably reach a state where your warranty will cover it. Tesla is also coming out with a ~400mi pack and if you can get by with poor range for a few months, Tesla might (should) give you a discount on the pack upgrade. Maybe you can negotiate something now?

I know that spaceballs or anybody in the ahr.log thread would be able to give you a lot more info about your pack if you sent them a recent log file.
Do you also recommend adding lead to your gas tank on an ICE car as warrantee runs out?