Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Roadster Owners' Opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a 2008 1.5 for sale on clist, inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5875129636.html
Good deal? Haven't called yet.
Seems pretty close to you. Call them up and go look at it. But I don't think it's legit.
I think its legit. The area code matches the location. I don't think CL has an option for "electric" and gas could be the default.
  • Single picture
  • vague but proper terms
  • low price
  • part of a "collection"
  • has what looks like a parking permit on the windshield

It just doesn't add up. I say it's a scam.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I am a current Tesla Model 3 reservation holder and can't wait to receive my car. While I wait, I have also been looking for a fun weekend car; something that I can enjoy with my wife...like a coupe or convertible. I was looking for a used porsche cayman or boxster, SLK, or Z4...something like that. While I was on this dealership website, I came across a used 2010 Tesla Roadster. The asking price is $32,500 which does not sound too bad (hoping to get to possibly get it for less if I decide to make an offer), but the only issue I see is that it has 84,300 miles on it. Apparently, it is a Tesla Roadster Sport.

I was hoping to get your opinions on this car, are the miles too high? What do you all think of the price? Is there a way to see if this car has been maintained properly and looked at properly by a Tesla Service center? If I wanted to purchase this car, what is the best way to go about it. Milage is important to me and even though, it would be a weekend fun car or a car I take out on nice sunny warm days (so I do not think I would be putting too many miles on it), to me, I feel 84,300 miles is a lot? Am I wrong with this thinking,

Thanks In Advance,

Kal

Kal,

There are only about ~20-30 US Roadsters available for sale at any given time. Bottom of the market is currently about $50k. Maybe a little below that for a higher mileage example (40k+). Shift is the biggest seller of used Roadsters and they are pretty accurate on pricing. Also, the $55k 1.5 for sale in the Bay Area is probably the best deal available currently. Unfortunately, (but understandably) most US Roadsters are on the West Coast....

Cars.com

Reactions: dhrivnak
Found a 2008 1.5 for sale on clist, inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5875129636.html
Good deal? Haven't called yet.
craigs1.png

The picture and text seems to have come from here:
dietzmotorcraft | 2008 Tesla Roaster 1.5

The title of the listing doesn't even look right... Why does it say "- Extremely -" ??? It seems like some automated robot cut/paste job...

#157 was Kelsey Grammer's Roadster...

But now I think it may be in Virginia with TMC member DoctorZ...

• Helpful
Reactions: RobsJester
the $55k 1.5 for sale in the Bay Area is probably the best deal available currently. Unfortunately, (but understandably) most US Roadsters are on the West Coast....
Cars.com
That 1.5 listed for $55K and claimed to have 3,700 miles on it by the private seller, name of "Walt", has a price that is hard to believe for such a low mileage Roadster. Be careful. Here is the ad 2008 Tesla Roadster, $55000 - Cars.com | Cars.com

An even lower priced 1.5 is in S.F. and is listed for $50K, has 39K miles on it. I wonder what issues it has for that price, which seems low. Here is the ad on cars.com 2008 Tesla Roadster, $49950 - Cars.com | Cars.com and here is the ad on Shift Buy a used 2008 Tesla Roadster 1.5 so that appears to be legitimate.

View attachment 202734

The picture and text seems to have come from here:
dietzmotorcraft | 2008 Tesla Roaster 1.5

The title of the listing doesn't even look right... Why does it say "- Extremely -" ??? It seems like some automated robot cut/paste job...

#157 was Kelsey Grammer's Roadster...

But now I think it may be in Virginia with TMC member DoctorZ...

TEG:

Many thanks for bringing this ad and TMC thread to my attention.
Very nice piece of detective work on your part, finding the pic that was used in the CL listing, clearly lifted from an old Dietz web ad!
I bought Roadster #157 this past April from an exotic dealer in FL.
He bought it from the Camille Grammer estate (I'm assuming Dietz handled this) about a year prior.
This car is currently NOT for sale.
I concur that this CL pasteup is likely a scam.

That 1.5 listed for $55K and claimed to have 3,700 miles on it by the private seller, name of "Walt", has a price that is hard to believe for such a low mileage Roadster. Be careful. Here is the ad 2008 Tesla Roadster, $55000 - Cars.com | Cars.com

An even lower priced 1.5 is in S.F. and is listed for $50K, has 39K miles on it. I wonder what issues it has for that price, which seems low. Here is the ad on cars.com 2008 Tesla Roadster, $49950 - Cars.com | Cars.com and here is the ad on Shift Buy a used 2008 Tesla Roadster 1.5 so that appears to be legitimate.

"Walt" who was selling the super low mileage black 1.5 for $55k out in the East Bay is real. He had a cars.com ad and a local CL ad too, but both are now gone, so I assume he sold it (or decided to keep it). Current cheapest Roadster available now is this:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...439945500&makeCode1=TESLA&modelCode1=ROADSTER

Also, @ecarfan were you at the Cupertino EV event back in September?

Hi Sig72. I bought that Thunder Gray roadster about 6 weeks ago. Loving it. It's a 2008 1.5, #311. Driving it every day. I feel it was quite a bargain. Battery seems in good shape for 43,000 miles. Range in extended charge shows 221 miles and 166 in standard charge mode. Big smile whenever I'm driving it or frankly even when I just look at it.

I have seen that page flip flop between the old listing, and the "no longer listed for sale" response. Autotrader seems to be inconsistent that way.

Also, I wish it would just stick to "no longer listed for sale", because when the listing shows up again I want to buy it !

IMG_3929.JPG
So, I'm also looking for a roadster. Last week, a few days before Christmas, I went to look at a roadster here in Raleigh at one of the local used dealers. They are legit, previously had a 2010 orange 2.0 for $56k that I test drove, but sold in a matter of days. So I went to see this latest car before any details were disclosed in the autotrader listing. Turns out it is #630 black 2010 2.0 for $54k and 33k miles. This was my daughter's first time seeing a roadster in person, so I had to get a snapshot! Anyway, another example of a great deal on a roadster, I'm sure this will not last! As I'm looking for a sport version, with fusion red high on my list, this car wasn't for me unfortunately.

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=446482243