Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Roadster Owners' Opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a current Tesla Model 3 reservation holder and can't wait to receive my car. While I wait, I have also been looking for a fun weekend car; something that I can enjoy with my wife...like a coupe or convertible.

Sorry to hear it was a scam. However, there are many other legitimate Roadsters for sale so don't give up on your idea. I was in a somewhat similar position earlier this fall. My husband is driving a Model S (since Dec 2012) and we are reservation holders for a Model 3. The wait for the M3 seemed interminable. My husband was willing to share/alternate driving the MS, but we wanted to look into other options too. For example, there are CPO Model S for sale at great prices. The downside to that for us was that we already had a MS and then it would be a pain to sell it when the M3 came out next year since we wouldn't need or want two MS. Thus, we started to look at Roadsters and after a lot of research ended up buying a Roadster Sport 2.0 with only 7500 miles in October 2016. We drove about 100 miles to see the one we ultimately bought because it was the nearest one for sale which was a 2.0 or higher (very few on East Coast but we considered flying to other locations).
Here are the reasons we decided to buy a Roadster:
1) even with a MS and M3, the Roadster can serve a different function as you indicated. It can be a fun weekend car, it can be stored at a track if you like that kind of thing, and it can even be a regular commuting car (as I am using it now). I plan to drive it through the winter except on snowy days when I will take my 4 wheel drive hybrid car.
2) It is iconic, and while by no means an inexpensive car, compared to its original price and its potential for retaining (and maybe even increasing) value is high if the car is well maintained, Roadsters are currently a good value (except maybe for the million dollar car for sale). We purchased for $73K with an original sale price ~$170K (has every possible option and accessory). Even if a next gen Roadster is made, this will still be the original first long range electric car so it will have iconic and historical value.
3) It is a head turner and I have gotten a lot of thumbs ups, especially on the East Coast where most people (even Tesla owners) have never seen one. It is a convertible but have soft and hard tops as options for different weather conditions.
4) While waiting for the M3 I get to drive in a really cool and fun car, that importantly is all electric and continue to raise awareness about EVs and Tesla. After we get M3 we will own 3 generations of Tesla cars.
5) Even though if we were to go on a road trip we would likely take the MS (luggage space, supercharging, space, comfort, cup holders, etc) with proper planning we could easily take the Roadster because it has a range of over 200 miles and we purchased a Henry Sharp CAN Sr adapter so we can charge at Tesla destination chargers and pretty much any public charger for which we have an adapter (we bought a Model S Mobile Charging bundle for the Roadster). Charging at 80 amps we can charge at a rate of >60 miles/hr ---so can be full in ~3-4 hours while sightseeing, eating a meal or sleeping.

Roadster is not the car for everyone nor is it the car for every situation, but right now it is the perfect car for me. You need to do your research to make sure you are getting the options you want/need and that the battery and other critical components has been well maintained and functioning as expected.

Since getting the car we have had to do some repair work (annual service, TPMS, GMS antenna) and chose to do some customization (because backing up is a little blind and the radio reception was so bad I couldn't listen to NPR). Stay tuned for my upcoming post about my experience with getting installation of a back up camera, 2 din touch screen Pioneer head unit, as well as front and rear dash cams. OVMS installation is in process.

Hey All,

I think it is a scam. I have tried calling the dealer a few times and have gotten a busy signal every time. This is discouraging for me because I know I am not a knowledgeable person when it comes to purchasing a used car so now, I just feel I will get hosed when it comes time to buying one (poop on me). I have always been suspicious of independent dealerships and now after this, I guess my next used car purchase may have to be from an actual real dealership. Thanks again for all the advice and feedback everyone. I think I will pass on this car and this dealership.

Kal

Hey Kal,

I'll pitch in my 3 pennies, for whatever they're worth. I've been driving a Roadster that I bought used for a little under 4 years now (for some of the same reasons - I didn't want to wait a year or 2 for Model X :D). During the search that resulted in the car I have, I encountered a situation much like you've encountered here. In my case, it was a Very Orange Roadster, and oh my how I wanted (still want) a Very Orange Roadster.

So yes - these sorts of scams DO exist out there. The good news is exactly what you've encountered here - you can post here in this forum, and you'll have all kinds of detailed info in hours. With decent odds of encountering the owner here as well, along with somebody or other that knows the owner (an advantage of hunting for a car with ~1000-1500 owners in the country).

Real Roadster do come up for sale, even if your hunt is at the country level instead of your city or state.

In my case, when the car I now have came up for sale, it was across the country from me. But there were two people here in the forum, one who had seen it that morning when it was posted, and another who was convenient, and stopped in to see it for themselves. Whether it was a good deal, whether it suited my needs, etc.. - that was all on me. But I also got some history on the VIN, and independent confirmation that the dealership selling the car was real, that the car was real, and it was very much above board from here.

So I say that to say this - don't let one bad experience cause you to give up on the quest. There's a community here that is typically quite generous with their knowledge, and that can help you avoid the really egregious mistakes (like sending $55k to a non-existent dealership in Oklahoma for a Very Orange Roadster - omg it was perfect, and no, I didn't do that).

Good hunting.

Reactions: kelly and DeedWest
Kal,

Unfortunately, 801 is a scam. The last time that car was OFFICIALLY listed by its owner, was on 4/27/16 for $58,900. My best guess is that it sold, because it never reappeared in a legitimate manner. However, it HAS shown up about 3-4 times since then, for ridiculously low prices on sketchy & fake dealership sites.

For real-world reference, the cheapest Roadster I have EVER seen sold in the past 5+ years that I've been logging every single one, was a 2008 1.5 with over 105,000 miles, for $38,500. Next up from that, was $42,900 for another 2008 1.5.

Regardless: as someone who's been INFATUATED in every way possible with the Roadster since hearing about it in 2007, I can not say enough positive things about it. It is the most exciting and charismatic vehicle I have ever driven (and I have driven Model S P85, P85+, P85D, and Model X 90D) Nothing comes even remotely close. The experience, the beautiful appearance, the lack of power steering, the handling, the rigid suspension, the unique acceleration...everything puts this vehicle in a class by itself. I have driven 9 Roadsters (every type except a Validation Prototype) and owned 2 of them. I just recently sold my Signature Model S to go BACK to a Roadster, because it just didn't compare in any way.

If you have the opportunity to (and haven't already), test drive one. Or, try to find an owner near you that would be willing to show you the car. But beware: you'll find yourself doing anything and everything possible to obtain one. ;)

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all so very much for your responses and feedback, it is so very much appreciated and you are all right, I should not let this one experience get to me because and I do have a place I can go to get advice from so I do not fall for a scam. I will continue to come here for advice and guidance.

Thanks Again Everyone!

Kal

Reactions: DeedWest and DaveD
I think the repeating scam goes something like this:

#1: Some eastern European criminals set up a fake web site or set of listings on a site like cars.com with the address of a real car dealership.
#2: The name and address of the dealership could be a real dealer they copied, but the phone number goes to some temporary cellphone of someone involved with the scam.
#3: They post pictures (just copied from old eBay listings and such) of various exotic cars at "too good to be true" prices.
#4: Street view of the address provided may show a real car dealership, but typically just with old low end cars, and no exotics in their inventory at all.
#5: I suspect if you call the number they will do something like ask you to wire them $500 deposit to hold the car until you can come and see it.
Then you never hear from them again...

I have seen so many of these over and over. Someone is out there doing this repeatedly... I suspect it would be hard to prosecute them if they are out of the country and have managed to convince people to wire them money based on phoney listings.

Adding one note: if you do come across a legitimate Roadster for sale (at any price), always ask a Service Center to confirm the car's status with Tesla. If Tesla flags a Roadster as unserviceable (i.e. insurance paid out as totaled and the car was rebuilt from a donor car), Tesla will NOT service it, nor does Tesla sell parts for 3rd party service. Effectively, any car on this list is without support from the mothership.

If possible, meet the owner and ask them to request the service center pulls the full maintenance history for the car, if it's a dealer transaction, it's still worth a shot to ask a service center to confirm if it's a serviceable car.

As others have mentioned, the Roadster is a blast to drive, hands down my favorite car I've owned. It's not for everyone, there are countless threads about the trade-offs of Roadster ownership, and the joy of driving it. Best of luck and hope to see you at a meet-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeedWest and ViviV
For real-world reference, the cheapest Roadster I have EVER seen sold in the past 5+ years that I've been logging every single one, was a 2008 1.5 with over 105,000 miles, for $38,500.

Chiming in here as the buyer and current owner of that 1.5. She had the battery replaced right before I bought her and I've added about 7,000 miles since then. The only issue was a failed switchpack that cost $750 to replace. I've been super happy with her.

She's having some elaborate vinyl work done right now (think Tag Heuer Roadster) but I'll post some pictures when it's done.

For real-world reference, the cheapest Roadster I have EVER seen sold in the past 5+ years that I've been logging every single one, was a 2008 1.5 with over 105,000 miles, for $38,500. Next up from that, was $42,900 for another 2008 1.5.

I was the buyer of the 2008 1.5 $42,900 Roadster that you saw for sale. Bought it several weeks ago. It's #311 and my wife and I are loving it. Driving it daily. In fact, drove it to the LA Auto show today (120 miles round trip). Shows 220 miles when charged in range mode, which I've only done once and will rarely do in the future, and 166 miles (ideal range) in the standard mode, so it seems the battery is in good shape for a car of this age and with about 43,000 miles. When I saw it, I knew it was a lot less expensive than all the others I'd seen. Bought it from the second owner. Yes, the original owner was apparently related to the band 311 and this particular car ordered with the serial number in mind. I don't know exactly why the second owner was selling it, but he seemed sad to see it go. However, I think he first took it to Car Max and got a ridiculously low quote (like $28,000), so perhaps that made the offered price seem more reasonable. Anyway, car is perfect so far.

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. Wouldn't have a garage space anymore or something like that. His friend was selling it for him (test drove at that guy's place), but then I met the owner when I picked up the car a few days later (after readied $) at the owner's place where the hard top was being stored.

Speaking of which, does anybody that lives in mild climate actually use the hard top? It's beautiful, but frankly I doubt I'll use it much and so far, the top is off whenever possible!

I rarely ever remove my hardtop! Maybe it's just a little bit TOO sunny here in LA.
I use the soft top in the late spring through fall, and the Visium "glass" top in winter. Too much solar gain in the Central Valley of California to run the glass top much of the year, and it's not something one takes on/off casually. But really nice to see the sky on a clear winter night (when stopped, of course).

Reactions: Mark77a
"Extremely" what? Fishy?

It's still about half price if it's in good shape. And, an "alignment check", assuming it was more than just looking at tire wear, is an odd thing to list, unless there was some damage or incident which might throw it off. No mention of the battery range, etc... Seems not the full story, if it's real, but maybe you'll get lucky. Get the VIN and go from there.

That is another Roadster (#157) that has unfortunately been posted several times for scam attempts. It appears to have sold in late 2015.

Another red flag: a real Roadster owner would (hopefully) not let "Fuel Type: Gas" slide on a classified listing.