Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some advice 2020 Model X LR Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, struggling to make a decision here. Here are the 2 options... 2021 MY Performance and 2020 MX Long Range Plus 6 seater (20k miles)

First off, got a price of 91k for the 6 seater, which I think is below market. Has to factor in the decision a little

Family of 5. Most likely is secondary car but would like to potentially use this one for longer road trips since other car is leased

How's the fit and finish of the 2020 MX vs the MY (I actually currently have a 2020 MY that I am trading in). The MY has a really solid build, but does the MY feel much more luxurious?

Does anyone have experience with 3 backseat passengers (essentially keeping one seat in the 3rd row down if you need extra cargo room?

Need to make a decision by the weekend :)

So, struggling to make a decision here. Here are the 2 options... 2021 MY Performance and 2020 MX Long Range Plus 6 seater (20k miles)

First off, got a price of 91k for the 6 seater, which I think is below market. Has to factor in the decision a little

Family of 5. Most likely is secondary car but would like to potentially use this one for longer road trips since other car is leased

How's the fit and finish of the 2020 MX vs the MY (I actually currently have a 2020 MY that I am trading in). The MY has a really solid build, but does the MY feel much more luxurious?

Does anyone have experience with 3 backseat passengers (essentially keeping one seat in the 3rd row down if you need extra cargo room?

Need to make a decision by the weekend :)

Well, you posted in the X forum …. We *love* our Model X. Best road trip vehicle ever.

3rd row is plenty comfy for ONE adult. Their legs can sit between the two monopod seats in the 2nd row and it’s more than fine. But two adults? That’s a little tight back there.

“Build quality”, I’d give the nod to the Y. We do have occasional rattles and squeaks after 35000 miles. I’ve heard the X called the Faberge Egg of Tesla, and that’s probably accurate. It’s loaded with technology and fancy features, but does have its quirks.

The good news is you’re talking about a 2020 “Raven”, which avoids some of the earlier issues. Mechanically, it’s solid. Just keep an eye out for “chatter” or “shudder” on hard acceleration; when you get that, bring it in for a halfshaft replacement. Known issue.

That’s a lot to write as a “full disclosure” post but were it me, I’d pick the X 20 out of 10 times. It’s a stunning vehicle and just other-worldly. Once you drive with that gigantic windshield, there’s no going back! Like I said, most incredible road trip vehicle ever built!

PS — I see you’re here in NJ. Can’t go wrong with the X here; the no-sales-tax thing alone makes it a no brainer — even better of a deal! Oh, and Y performance vs X LR? This is NJ - unless you’re going to a racetrack, you won’t really notice the performance’s extra acceleration. The X is plenty zippy for our traffic.

6855A130-A61F-4ADB-A6B9-4E91BE05A9F7.jpeg

Yellowstone National Park. You’re not going to get that photo in a Y!

Reactions: davezforce
Well, you posted in the X forum …. We *love* our Model X. Best road trip vehicle ever.

3rd row is plenty comfy for ONE adult. Their legs can sit between the two monopod seats in the 2nd row and it’s more than fine. But two adults? That’s a little tight back there.

“Build quality”, I’d give the nod to the Y. We do have occasional rattles and squeaks after 35000 miles. I’ve heard the X called the Faberge Egg of Tesla, and that’s probably accurate. It’s loaded with technology and fancy features, but does have its quirks.

The good news is you’re talking about a 2020 “Raven”, which avoids some of the earlier issues. Mechanically, it’s solid. Just keep an eye out for “chatter” or “shudder” on hard acceleration; when you get that, bring it in for a halfshaft replacement. Known issue.

That’s a lot to write as a “full disclosure” post but were it me, I’d pick the X 20 out of 10 times. It’s a stunning vehicle and just other-worldly. Once you drive with that gigantic windshield, there’s no going back! Like I said, most incredible road trip vehicle ever built!

PS — I see you’re here in NJ. Can’t go wrong with the X here; the no-sales-tax thing alone makes it a no brainer — even better of a deal! Oh, and Y performance vs X LR? This is NJ - unless you’re going to a racetrack, you won’t really notice the performance’s extra acceleration. The X is plenty zippy for our traffic.

View attachment 729217
Thanks. You bring up a bunch of great points. I guess my hesitation at this point is the LR MX that I am looking at is a 6 seater. There is literally no reasonably priced 2020 Long Range Xs out there. Feel like I stumbled across this one at 91k where I see 2018s on the Tesla site for close to 100k. 3 kids (11, 8, 4). Feel like I like the room of not having them sit 3 across on a bench seat, but wondering about the cargo space with one of the 3rd row seats down. Not like we are going on week long road trips or anything, more for weekend sports games with a bunch of bags and folding chairs

Thanks. You bring up a bunch of great points. I guess my hesitation at this point is the LR MX that I am looking at is a 6 seater. There is literally no reasonably priced 2020 Long Range Xs out there. Feel like I stumbled across this one at 91k where I see 2018s on the Tesla site for close to 100k. 3 kids (11, 8, 4). Feel like I like the room of not having them sit 3 across on a bench seat, but wondering about the cargo space with one of the 3rd row seats down. Not like we are going on week long road trips or anything, more for weekend sports games with a bunch of bags and folding chairs

If that’s the use case, you’ll be more than great. The bags and all will fit in the GIGANTIC frunk.

I mean, gigantic.

The 6-seater, IMO, is the crème de la crème of the Model X. Even as simple as floor space under those seats is amazing. With 3 kids; I wouldn’t hesitate a second on the X. Compared to a Y, that situation isn’t even close. X all the way.

We took a 17 day road trip out to Wyoming and back, and fit all of our clothes and toiletries and all in the frunk. Really - it’s wild!

If you want to check it out in person, I’d be happy to meet you somewhere. NJ isn’t that big of a state. :)

For perspective, here’s Buster in the frunk.

BEA45B5B-F06C-4EE3-A6AD-BC34CFA01C9E.jpeg

Just to put a fine point on it … ours is a year and a half old, 35k miles, and I know I could sell it for more than I paid. Actually make money on it. And I won’t do it …. Because then we’d have to drive something other-than-an-X, and neither my wife nor I want that.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
If you don't need 7-seat flexibility, and know you're going to be carrying 5 people a LOT, I'd get the 6-seater. The monopost 2nd row allows more footroom for 3rd row passengers, 3rd row passengers have a better view forward, etc. Easier to get in and out of too. We ordered a 7-seater and the lack of the folding 2nd row would have been a problem for a couple of the things we ahve carried in it, for whatever that's worth. But for people-carrying 6 or fewer people, the 6-seater is the one I think, cost no object. Although, the 7-seater does give you the 3rd-row people a nice footrest if you put two rear-seat passengers in the back, heh. Depends on leg lengths and how much everyone likes eachother I guess

The only annoying design feature with half of the 3rd row folded, is the cupholders are out of commission if half the 3rd row is folded. But it rests at a nice armrest level for the person sitting on the other half, and you can access the seatbelt buckle easily, so it's not like it's horrible, just not minivan-awesome.

Also, you get sun-baked back there if you don't put some sort of sunshade or UV film on the back glass.

I'm a little more measured on Y v. X. You put adaptive air suspension and an extra 4-6" of wheelbase on a Y with no other changes, and I'd take the Y. The 40/20/40 2nd row, lighter weight and lower consumption, and narrower more wieldy body would be really nice to have. But Tesla doesn't make that car, so for me, it's the X all the way. I mean, obviously

Last edited:
Thanks for the help all. Decided to take delivery of the MYP and cash in on the ridiculously positive equity that i have in my current MY LR. I basically got paid to drive that car for 15 months when all was said and done. But….i put in an order for a refreshed MX 7 seater due in June. The way things are going, the MYP may not even depreciate anything by that point and I’ll take delivery of the MX then

Thanks for all the help!

View attachment 729217
Where in Morris county. I’m in Boonton

Thanks for the help all. Decided to take delivery of the MYP and cash in on the ridiculously positive equity that i have in my current MY LR. I basically got paid to drive that car for 15 months when all was said and done. But….i put in an order for a refreshed MX 7 seater due in June. The way things are going, the MYP may not even depreciate anything by that point and I’ll take delivery of the MX then

Thanks for all the help!
Any tax consequences to all that? I would have to pay sales taxes and license fees on each transaction.

Where in Morris county. I’m in Boonton
Hah! Right next to you in Parsippany! I'm also the north NJ chapter lead for the Delaware Valley Tesla Owners Club - Home -- hopefully you can come join one of our meetups!

Any tax consequences to all that? I would have to pay sales taxes and license fees on each transaction.

Not in NJ, no. No sales tax on electric vehicles here, which is *awesome* ... Can also transfer registration between vehicles for $4.50, which is more than reasonable. Only other fee would be the titling fee, and that's $85. In the grand scheme, $89.50 to swap cars is a whole lotta nuttin'. :)

So buying a Tesla here is easy if you're transferring registration from a current vehicle ...

Vehicle price + $1200 destination fee + $89.50 = Tesla

No hidden fees, taxes, or anything else. It's really that simple!

Hah! Right next to you in Parsippany! I'm also the north NJ chapter lead for the Delaware Valley Tesla Owners Club - Home -- hopefully you can come join one of our meetups!

Not in NJ, no. No sales tax on electric vehicles here, which is *awesome* ... Can also transfer registration between vehicles for $4.50, which is more than reasonable. Only other fee would be the titling fee, and that's $85. In the grand scheme, $89.50 to swap cars is a whole lotta nuttin'. :)

So buying a Tesla here is easy if you're transferring registration from a current vehicle ...

You are so lucky. Here each car sale is subject to the local sales tax rate. For me, this is over 9%. And then add on title and registration fees.

lol nice! yes definitely!

You are so lucky. Here each car sale is subject to the local sales tax rate. For me, this is over 9%. And then add on title and registration fees.

It's not too often you can say great things about living in NJ (aside from great schools, proximity to NYC, beaches/mountains/forests/suburbia all within minutes of each other, great food .... :) - but this is sure one of them. There's also an incentive program up to $5000 off the price of an EV, but that wouldn't apply to a Model X... too expensive.

It's not too often you can say great things about living in NJ (aside from great schools, proximity to NYC, beaches/mountains/forests/suburbia all within minutes of each other, great food .... :) - but this is sure one of them. There's also an incentive program up to $5000 off the price of an EV, but that wouldn't apply to a Model X... too expensive.
All good of course. But your property taxes are positively breathtaking. 🥸

Reactions: davezforce

Thanks for all the help!
Any chance I could pick up that deal on the MX you had??