Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some advice buying used Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's my situation and I'd love to get some real world feedback...

Currently have a Dual Motor Long Range Model 3 and love it. Have 3 kids so really eyeing up selling/trading/etc to get a Model X

The new ones are a little out of my current price range. A long range with a 7 seat interior would run about 89k

Looking at the used market, I'm seeing lot of 2016s with reasonable pricing. Low 60k or so. I know that most of the builds before 10/16 are AP 1.0. First off, I dont have EAP or FSD in my model 3 and Im totally fine with that. It was a pretty expensive option at the time and I really don't see myself using the features. I know that's contrary to a lot of people on the board, but just me :)

So if I do not plan to purchase FSD, should I entertain an AP 1.0 car? I know it's not gonna get all the cool FSD upgrades, but will I be missing much if I never desired to have FSD. I can look for 2017, but I'm getting in the 75k range, which right now isnt what I want to do. It's also seems damn near impossible to find a 10/16 or later 2016 build.

Just wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

If you manage to hang on to the Model 3 the Model Y might become available. Here is my guestimate of Model Y availability based mostly on Model 3 ramp up:
Q1: Tesla Employees
Q2: Limited production for high end cars, just bay area.
Q3: 1K per week manufactured
Q4: 4K per week
2021'Q1: Less expensive, low range available

FWIW I don't have any children but do have a very early 2016 90D MX that is loaded with all but performance. It's a great car and I don't use the AP lane keeping feature (rarely) but do use the TACC a fair amount. I have ~40k miles and my 90% is 216 miles. I think the car is great and don't see any need for a new one.

You can check the available battery (range) on any car you look at. You can also check the fit and finish and maintenance history too. So if you find one that meets your needs I think you should be OK with a 2016 90D MX.

Looking at the used market, I'm seeing lot of 2016s with reasonable pricing. ....

It's also seems damn near impossible to find a 10/16 or later 2016 build.

Thanks!

If you're looking to get an older X, you need to get it from Tesla.. why? If you've scoured the forums, you can see the X is not without issue. Many of the early builds were prone to problems that were corrected later on. You'll end up with an MCU1, with high potential for failure. I ran into a couple at the nearby service center a couple of months ago - they had a 3, but needed an X, and got a used one from Tesla. I believe it was a 2016 build, or earlier 2017. They had it for 3 months, and it had spent most of that time in for issues (many of which were corrected, and then reoccurred).

It may be tempting, but, you really should either hold out for a newer X, and you really want to make sure that warranty is in place (beware of a private party 2016 without a warranty, or close to its end)

• Informative
Reactions: jet44 and DanCar
I had a 2016 X90D that was an 8/2016 build. Autopilot and some other options. It was a very nice Tesla and only had a few minor issues that were quickly and conveniently handled by the local SC. I cannot make that statement about the workings of the SC in today's service hell. I drove the X90D for 49k. I sold the vehicle to Carvana for $63k and moved into a new 2018 X75D with another full 4-year warranty. I traded cars because there IS NO WAY I WILL HAVE A TESLA WITHOUT A WARRANTY. The 2016 X90D may have gone another 49k with virtually no problems, but I was not willing to place that bet.

Reactions: rjdoc74
I'm in a similar situation. Looking to ditch my wife's X5 for a Model X. She'd never use all the AP features because all she does is run errands and a ton of local driving. A new X with long range is obviously what I want but talk about paying for features we'd never use. Even though she manages about 17k miles per year it's all local with stops at home during the day. I'm still uncomfortable with an early build but budget doesn't allow for an 18/19.

Upper $60k with warranty is probably the sweet spot for us yet I just can't see buying a 75d.....range anxiety!

I had a 2016 X90D that was an 8/2016 build. Autopilot and some other options. It was a very nice Tesla and only had a few minor issues that were quickly and conveniently handled by the local SC. I cannot make that statement about the workings of the SC in today's service hell. I drove the X90D for 49k. I sold the vehicle to Carvana for $63k and moved into a new 2018 X75D with another full 4-year warranty. I traded cars because there IS NO WAY I WILL HAVE A TESLA WITHOUT A WARRANTY. The 2016 X90D may have gone another 49k with virtually no problems, but I was not willing to place that bet.

How was the battery transition from 90D to 75D?

So here's my situation and I'd love to get some real world feedback...

Currently have a Dual Motor Long Range Model 3 and love it. Have 3 kids so really eyeing up selling/trading/etc to get a Model X

The new ones are a little out of my current price range. A long range with a 7 seat interior would run about 89k

Looking at the used market, I'm seeing lot of 2016s with reasonable pricing. Low 60k or so. I know that most of the builds before 10/16 are AP 1.0. First off, I dont have EAP or FSD in my model 3 and Im totally fine with that. It was a pretty expensive option at the time and I really don't see myself using the features. I know that's contrary to a lot of people on the board, but just me :)

So if I do not plan to purchase FSD, should I entertain an AP 1.0 car? I know it's not gonna get all the cool FSD upgrades, but will I be missing much if I never desired to have FSD. I can look for 2017, but I'm getting in the 75k range, which right now isnt what I want to do. It's also seems damn near impossible to find a 10/16 or later 2016 build.

Thanks!
You've already figured out what you want to do. And its sound logic. An AP2 car is going to hold residual value towards your next car better than an AP1 car bought now. Even though you are not interested in this scenario think about this. Which car do you think is more valuable in terms of trade-in/resale Pre-AP or AP1? AP1, of course. So, you its a no brainer AP2 car is going to be a better resalable car than AP1.

And the longer you wait while looking anyway, the more likely that you are going to find a AP2 X. Let's say the total number of X's built in the three months before year end of '16 is 3,000. As we get deeper into 2020, the number of '17's built after 1/1 will continue to increase.

My point is, don't be in a rush. Nothing to be lost going forward while you watch for a AP2 X

Reactions: jet44 and SeaNile
SeaNile, I encourage you to rethink buying one with FSD versus without. Please think of it like this. You are shopping for a different car, not an older (early build) and not a brand new car. And since you never turn on the air conditioner, you might consider buying one without an air conditioner because we would never use it during the time you own the car. But some day when you are selling it or trading it in don't you think the appraiser or the potential new owner are going to want air conditioning? In their case, they are likely to reduce the value or not even want your car because it doesn't have air conditioning. Could be the same for an X without FSD 3-5 years from now. And if you look long enough, I suspect you will find the X that meets your price range but still includes FSD without you paying the price to upgrade it from Tesla.

How was the battery transition from 90D to 75D?
The X75D is 239 at 100%...the X90D was in the 255 at 100% range. I figured the 16 mile loss would not matter. It does not on MOST trips. However, there are occasions when those 16 would really help. The X90D was no longer in the lineup when I bought the 2018 X75D and the $$ jump to the X100D was $15k...that made no sense whatsoever. As far as performance I really can't feel any decrease going down. But I am a soon-to-be 77 year old and I am past my "use by date" for speed and power!

SeaNile, I encourage you to rethink buying one with FSD versus without...

I grok the point you are going towards, but I'll counter with two points: "money now is worth more than money later" (so spending less now is good) and "only buy what you need" (why buy something only for residual of the car in five years when you'll never use it).

As such, for the OP, if you are sure you won't use FSD, my bigger thought point would be the "MCU1 failure will happen at date TBD but sooner than an MCU2". Good luck.

I grok the point you are going towards, but I'll counter with two points: "money now is worth more than money later" (so spending less now is good) and "only buy what you need" (why buy something only for residual of the car in five years when you'll never use it).

As such, for the OP, if you are sure you won't use FSD, my bigger thought point would be the "MCU1 failure will happen at date TBD but sooner than an MCU2". Good luck.
Fox, I think you misunderstood part of my narrative. Maybe I did a poor job of explaining. I'm saying if he's shopping for a used X, shop for one with FSD versus without FSD. Keep looking until he finds one with FSD that's in his price range. Don't ignore those that have FSD without considering if they are in his price range.

Oh I totally understand but don't want to think of spending upper 60s and come to find we spent 80k on a used X because of all the options we wouldn't use, like FSD. Guess my point is I'd rather spend more for range and less for options like performance and FSD.

Wife/we would never notice not having FSD for daily errands and running the kids around but we would absolutely notice lack of range! Typical ICE drivers for 40 years, no second thought of blasting the heat or AC and never think of how the cold weather effects the MPG because of the gas stations on every corner.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I bought a 2016 P90D in May of '19. It has ap1 and I don't have any issues. I do wish it had ap2 or 2.5 but at the time I was looking those cars were an extra $20,000.
One main difference is in the older ones the rear seats don't fold down. Mine did come with free supercharging which was a huge plus because now it's on vacation car.

My take is also to wait for a 2.0 + vehicle even if you dont activate FSD. Having 8 cameras for safety is a big deal protecting your family and I have learned never to say never. “When” FSD becomes active, can you imagine your Tesla as a robotaxi providing income for your family? With a 1.0 system, you would be left out. I purchased my 2.0 16’ X through Tesla for under 60k. They are out there, so I ask...Why not?

Cool. Was the X that you purchased from Tesla a 75D or 90D? 6-7 seater? I've been monitoring the Model X used market for a month and prices are not moving. Most of the cars have not even had any markdowns since late December. Seems like they are holding tight for some reason

Cool. Was the X that you purchased from Tesla a 75D or 90D? 6-7 seater? I've been monitoring the Model X used market for a month and prices are not moving. Most of the cars have not even had any markdowns since late December. Seems like they are holding tight for some reason

It’s a 75D 5 seater. When I purchased mine there were quite a few HW 2.0. 6-7 seats were about a 3k difference with what I paid. Since I never carry 6-7 people, I wanted the weight savings. There is something for everyone at reasonable prices, you just have to check several times a day and not hesitate when you see something you like. It’s easier to jump on something now since its only $100 to hold.