Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody!
i received delivery on a p85+ nearly fully loaded($116,000 before taxes and after rebate) 2 weeks before the D announcement.
i called my salesman for an explanation And to try and work out a buy back so I can get the D but I'm a little disappointed in the offer.
what are your thoughts on 93% Of the 116k when the car is 7weeks old with 1000 miles?
thanks in advance!

That's an excellent offer. That's close to the price they would sell a loaner without autopilot hardware for at that age and mileage. High end cars lose value as soon as it's no longer new (as soon as it's driven off the lot as the old saying went). I doubt you'd do any better in a private sale.

Hi everybody!
i received delivery on a p85+ nearly fully loaded($116,000 before taxes and after rebate) 2 weeks before the D announcement.
i called my salesman for an explanation And to try and work out a buy back so I can get the D but I'm a little disappointed in the offer.
what are your thoughts on 93% Of the 116k when the car is 7weeks old with 1000 miles?
thanks in advance!

Take it and run. They're not going to make any money reselling that car.

Hi everybody!
thanks in advance!

As original buyer, do you get the tax credit? (even though you are flipping it back in a week) If you do, that is about break even and you should jump at it.

That's an excellent offer. That's close to the price they would sell a loaner without autopilot hardware for at that age and mileage. High end cars lose value as soon as it's no longer new (as soon as it's driven off the lot as the old saying went). I doubt you'd do any better in a private sale.

i agree with all of you its a great offer but the circumstances need to be considered in the offer. They screwed up the way they handled the release date and people like my self are in a unique situation.
that being considered am I better off just keeping my car or selling at that price and buying the D
fyi to not confuse numbers it will be an approx $9,000 loss

i agree with all of you its a great offer but the circumstances need to be considered in the offer. They screwed up the way they handled the release date and people like my self are in a unique situation.
that being considered am I better off just keeping my car or selling at that price and buying the D

Economically, it's probably the same loss either way.

As far as 'screw-up', I think the only mistake Tesla made was not raising their prices across the board for autopilot, and charging an even higher premium for the P85D. Keep in mind, Tesla unfortunately cannot delay features, or pre-announce, as they do not have the finances to withstand a lull in orders as customers anticipate the new model, and they need to be ahead of their competitors as much as possible.

While your situation is unfortunate, it's part of the way things have to be for a startup car company. The only way to avoid the situation you are in is to wait until 'the next big thing' is announced, and order then.

They may have screwed it up, but that's nothing that can be done there. You have to add the $9,000 to added cost of the "D" and ask yourself "Is this worth it to me?". It's entirely a personal decision.

If you're only taking a $9,000 loss, then I think that they're already trying to soften the blow to whatever degree they can.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether you think D and autopilot are worth $9k plus increased cost of new options.

Before announcement, you were happy to spend $116k for all the features available. They were delivered. Your dilemma is that new features are now available that you don't have. Doesn't change that you have what you originally expected.

What are you going to do when you pay the money and get the new features and a few months later a new battery is introduced that offers greater range and faster charging times? With technology changing so quickly, you will only have the latest and greatest for a short period of time. Enjoy what you bought. It's an awesome car!

"They screwed up the way they handled the release date . . . "

By that do you mean they (Tesla) screwed up by not consulting YOU before releasing a new model therefore saving you the embarrassment and financial hit of purchasing an inferior model??!! So in your expert opinion just how should the release date have been handled?

Depending on the location would each car not qualify for the rebate?

Each was purchased.... As far as I can tell there is no length of time on how long you need to have a car for the rebate. Leasing is another story.

- - - Updated - - -

I would take the deal.

This was a significant upgrade released 2 weeks after I got my new car. The value of my car is going to take a hit because they didn't give the appropriate amount of warning for a new model. If you buy a BMW 2 weeks before new model comes out....guess what, you get a better price. Tesla made a mistake that even members of their staff are acknowledging

This was a significant upgrade released 2 weeks after I got my new car. The value of my car is going to take a hit because they didn't give the appropriate amount of warning for a new model. If you buy a BMW 2 weeks before new model comes out....guess what, you get a better price. Tesla made a mistake that even members of their staff are acknowledging

I agree completely with you. This topic has been discussed to death in another thread.

I seriously hope and wish Tesla do their upgrade during certain time of a year so everyone who is planning to buy can hold off to see what that update is before they sign a big check.

But Tesla claims that it is different from other manufacturers and will upgrade the car as technology keeps improving.

I however did buy an inventory car without the auto pilot features because who knows in another year or so they might come with a different upgrade

Here we go again. "Tesla didn't give me any warning they were going to introduce an improved model and now I am screwed." Dude, if they pre-announced a new, improved model do you think ANYONE would buy a current model? I am sure glad you are NOT running TMC. You need to do a better job on your due diligence before shelling out $100,000+ on a car.

The whole auto-pilot thing is vaporware as far as I am concerned until it is fully baked and released. Most of the features will not be available until mid-2015 or beyond. Some will probably never be fully realized.

Should tesla put their customers in a position to "be embarrassed and take financial hits"???
not getting into a pissing match with u but they messed this move up and anybody in the know would agree

If you look at your original post, you asked for advice. That might be why you're hearing some opinions you don't like. (And not everyone 'in the know' agrees with you, btw.)

That is a generous offer by Tesla. Take it, or don't take it and enjoy your still awesome car.

Hi everybody!
thanks in advance!

You got exactly what you ordered. If that's a "screw up" I feel sorry for anyone who does business with you. You use BMW as an example, but having bought a BMW myself, I paid the price agreed to, and got the car I paid for, just like you did with your Tesla. While you claim the Tesla staff acknowledged wrongdoing, that's clearly not the case since you are still taking a hit on your car. What they acknowledged is the fact that you are not pleased and I am not one of those people who believe that the customer is always right. But you are fortunate that Tesla is working with you and is taking part of the hit with you, which is good business practice but does not make you right.