Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Some Education

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I am considering purchase of a 2015 Model S P90D with low mileage. It would be my first electric vehicle, so not really wanting to go all out on a brand new one. As it would be my first, I'm wondering what sort of questions/research I should do. For example, I've heard that 3G is going away, which would render the electronics useless? And apparently there has been trouble with the door handles?

Knowing what you know about being a Tesla owner, what questions would you ask about this possible new acquisition?

Best,
Kelly

Useless is too strong, but you would want to upgrade if it has a 3G modem. Tesla will upgrade the modem for several hundred dollar or upgrade the entire infotainment system for several thousand. That's assuming the car actually still has 3G. Either upgrade could take weeks or months, but the car would be driveable while you wait.

That being said, your concern about the modem is like being concerned that the piano falling on your head is out of tune. Look into traction battery replacement costs, drive unit replacement costs, and recent satisfaction levels with Tesla service. Those are the risks you should carefully weigh. Also research comparably-priced new EVs from other manufacturers with new car warranties and readily available service.

My 2014 hasn't had a door handle problem since I bought it a year ago. I have a parts kit ready. When my 3g quits then I will lose the ability to unlock the car with the phone. Keeping a spare fob hidden with the battery taped on the outside will remedy that. Wifi will have to substitute if I need to connect to the mother ship. Or upgrade the computer.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla will upgrade the modem for several hundred dollar or upgrade the entire infotainment system for several thousand.

"Several thousand" is a bit of a subjective term, so to clarify, the upgrade of the infotainment system from MCU1 to MCU2 is currently $1500. You will lose the AM/FM radio, but you can get a new FM radio tuner for an added $500, so a total of $2,000 plus sales tax. This includes replacement of both screens. If you see bubbling around the edges of either screen, that's an indicated the glue seal has failed and the screen is leaking the gel between the two layers. This can make a mess, but my bigger worry is what's behind the screens in terms of electronics which the gel may be leaking onto. Again, this would be a good trigger to get the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade as this includes both screens being replaced, so in my opinion, a good value versus doing a screen replacement.

If you have access to the car, you can easily confirm both the infotainment version and 3G vs. LTE modem by going to the software, then click on the Additional vehicle information link. If infotainment processor shows NVIDIA then it is still MCU1.. If it shows Intel, then it is MCU2. You'll also see directly an entry for the Modem capabilities which will directly state 3G or 4G.

Depending upon when the car was first sold, the 8 year unlimited mile battery and drive motor warranty could still be valid for the better part of two years (a 2015 produced car not put into service originally until 1Q 2016 would still have the 8 year warranty until early 2024). You would likely want to confirm details like if AP1 autopilot capability was purchased and enabled. It should have premium connectivity and likely may have free unlimited supercharging if the car has never been sold back through Tesla.

For the record, I do think there were some definite upgrades between 2015 and when the mid-2016 refresh models were introduced, but I know many owners that have 2015 vintage cars, continue to drive them, and had neither battery or drive motor replacement issues.

Of course all the other routine things you'd want to understand about any vehicle; does it have a clean title versus salvage, any history of major accidents/collision repairs, etc.

and FYI - my perspective is based from owning a June 2016 produced MS90D purchased new, that I've owned for going on 6 years. Since my 4 yr/50k warranty expired, I've paid just under $500 total for maintenance which was replacement/rebuild of two door handles. I did elect to do the MCU2 infotainment upgrade with radio for $2,000 in early December 2021. I do not consider that expense maintenance as it was driven by my choice to upgrade functionality, not initiated by a failure of any form. My wait to get it installed at my local service center was about 2 weeks, although I know some have had to wait much longer.

Yeah, several thousand for infotainment upgrade was too strong. I should have said a couple grand. My out the door estimate is $2100 including the FM tuner. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you'd be lucky to get it done in 2 weeks in 2022. I've already waited quite a bit longer than that and fully expect Tesla to push back my appointment once again.

In late 2021, they pushed back my appointment for a mechanical fix about 2 months. Only when I took it in the 2nd time, did they tell that the car wasn't safe to drive so it's a good thing I got it fixed. Of course in those 2 months I had driven thousands of miles. On a different occasion I got my modem upgraded to 4G. While they were in there, they could have mentioned that the little SD card that hold navigation data wear out. It would have been a win-win because they could have upsold me a SD card and saved me a ton of trouble. Instead, shortly after my modem upgrade my navigation system stopped working due to that $10 part. It hasn't worked since while I wait for them to upgrade the infotainment. That should fix my navigation system as well as a separate issue. (To fix only the SD card is about $200 but as ever, you gotta wait.)

Of course other people have had much different experiences. Apparently the service in the early days was superior. Some owners still recall those service experiences and they are more forgiving of the current experience. I'm a bit less forgiving because I'm used to Toyota/Lexus and Honda service. They aren't perfect, but those companies can fix your car in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, you mainly should go with your heart on this. I'll get to that shortly, but one last consideration for your head: it is a certainty that the traction battery will fail. This is not Tesla's fault. It's a fundamental limitation of all battery-powered vehicles. The question is, will that failure affect you? You should hope and pray that the battery fails on the last day of the warranty. That's almost like getting a brand new car. If the battery survives the warranty you should hope and pray that it survives your ownership. Otherwise, things are going to get pretty ugly. If you had a fleet of 100 Teslas, you could expect a certain amount of failures in a certain amount of fleet miles and budget for it. But what if you own one Tesla and an older one at that? It's a game of chicken. How long do you keep the car? How long do you push your luck? Do you trade stock options or do you sticks with TIPS? Maybe you're an indexer. Know who you are before you play the game.

Now for your heart. Do you love cilantro? Some people think it tastes like soap, and others can't get enough. Teslas are cilantro. Especially the Model S. If you have that visceral connection to the Model S that so many people do, then nothing will dissuade you—nor should it! There's nothing wrong with loving cilantro. So what if the service is frustrating and expensive, cilantro is still delicious.

This forum is full of cilantro lovers. Some of them love it so much that they become evangelists and apologists. There are some cilantro haters too, but they tend to weed themselves out. The ones that remain can, at times, be unfairly critical. The best thing you can do before you buy that car is spend some time reading this forum. Read critically. Find the subtext. Consider the S, the 3, and other brands. Then go with your heart.

"Several thousand" is a bit of a subjective term, so to clarify, the upgrade of the infotainment system from MCU1 to MCU2 is currently $1500. You will lose the AM/FM radio, but you can get a new FM radio tuner for an added $500, so a total of $2,000 plus sales tax. This includes replacement of both screens. If you see bubbling around the edges of either screen, that's an indicated the glue seal has failed and the screen is leaking the gel between the two layers. This can make a mess, but my bigger worry is what's behind the screens in terms of electronics which the gel may be leaking onto. Again, this would be a good trigger to get the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade as this includes both screens being replaced, so in my opinion, a good value versus doing a screen replacement.

If you have access to the car, you can easily confirm both the infotainment version and 3G vs. LTE modem by going to the software, then click on the Additional vehicle information link. If infotainment processor shows NVIDIA then it is still MCU1.. If it shows Intel, then it is MCU2. You'll also see directly an entry for the Modem capabilities which will directly state 3G or 4G.

Depending upon when the car was first sold, the 8 year unlimited mile battery and drive motor warranty could still be valid for the better part of two years (a 2015 produced car not put into service originally until 1Q 2016 would still have the 8 year warranty until early 2024). You would likely want to confirm details like if AP1 autopilot capability was purchased and enabled. It should have premium connectivity and likely may have free unlimited supercharging if the car has never been sold back through Tesla.

For the record, I do think there were some definite upgrades between 2015 and when the mid-2016 refresh models were introduced, but I know many owners that have 2015 vintage cars, continue to drive them, and had neither battery or drive motor replacement issues.

Of course all the other routine things you'd want to understand about any vehicle; does it have a clean title versus salvage, any history of major accidents/collision repairs, etc.

and FYI - my perspective is based from owning a June 2016 produced MS90D purchased new, that I've owned for going on 6 years. Since my 4 yr/50k warranty expired, I've paid just under $500 total for maintenance which was replacement/rebuild of two door handles. I did elect to do the MCU2 infotainment upgrade with radio for $2,000 in early December 2021. I do not consider that expense maintenance as it was driven by my choice to upgrade functionality, not initiated by a failure of any form. My wait to get it installed at my local service center was about 2 weeks, although I know some have had to wait much longer.
Excellent information, thank you so much!

I've had my late 2015 MS90D for almost 7 years now and have not had any major problems. Two 12V batteries replaced and recall work, like the airbag. I upgraded the modem and screens. No door handle problems. I've thought about selling prior to warranty expiration, but since it has been reliable in the past, I'm hoping it continues. It's still fun to drive and plenty fast.

FWIW, the nosecone on the 2015 models is off-putting for some. For me, with a black car, it is hardly noticeable, plus I dechromed the front. If the car is not black, then painting the nosecone is an option.

Useless is too strong, but you would want to upgrade if it has a 3G modem. Tesla will upgrade the modem for several hundred dollar or upgrade the entire infotainment system for several thousand. That's assuming the car actually still has 3G. Either upgrade could take weeks or months, but the car would be driveable while you wait.

That being said, your concern about the modem is like being concerned that the piano falling on your head is out of tune. Look into traction battery replacement costs, drive unit replacement costs, and recent satisfaction levels with Tesla service. Those are the risks you should carefully weigh. Also research comparably-priced new EVs from other manufacturers with new car warranties and readily available service.
Thank you leapingwhale, I was under the impression that the car would not be drivable without the 3G. Thanks for the explanation! This is why I came to you all!

Now for your heart. Do you love cilantro? Some people think it tastes like soap, and others can't get enough. Teslas are cilantro. Especially the Model S. If you have that visceral connection to the Model S that so many people do, then nothing will dissuade you—nor should it! There's nothing wrong with loving cilantro. So what if the service is frustrating and expensive, cilantro is still delicious.
This is great! I "like" cilantro. I am not in love with it, but it's refreshing when I have it. I certainly don't hate it. But I do hate the model 3, and definitely do not want to spend the kind of money that a new model S brings in my area. That being said, there are no other EV's that I would even consider owning....thus, options are limited, but knowing the right questions to ask will be super helpful. Thanks again for your insight!

I just do not like it. I do not like the look of it at all.

I understand. I thought it looked like a Dodge Neon, didn't much care for it myself... but wanted an EV and it seemed like the only real option at the time. I ordered it without ever being in one (or near one for that matter).

Then I picked it up on delivery day and drove it... it looks like a small car, but the inside is magically roomy, and it's fantastic to drive. The look grows on you once you've driven it.

I recommend at least test driving one before making a purchase... same for the used S. You might find the 3 to be a much better ride.

Reactions: ForeverFree
Had a 2015 S85D. Loved it.

Then my wife got one of the first Model 3s in 2017. "Borrowed" it for a day. Didn't want to trade back.

Yes, the Model S is a bit better looking ... but mainly the straight-on front view. However, we've found the 3 much more fun to drive.

We now have two red Model 3s, including a Performance. Would never go back.

None of the cars has been particularly problem-prone. However, the S did "niggle" more, especially the door handles.

As the fleet has expanded from <100k to >2M, and as average selling price has dropped from S/X levels, the service experience has definitely suffered.

I'd definitely suggest you consider newer rather than older ... and 3 rather than S, if budget is a factor.

Happy to DM and discuss!