Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help identifying a noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This morning I arrived at work and my Tesla started making the worst sound I’ve heard. Very loud. I tried rebooting (with and without brake pedal) and it kept making the sound. I then powered off and it stopped. When I waited 3 minutes and powered back up it began again. I then powered off and then hopped out of the car and the sound wasn’t happening, so I plugged it into a charger. I contacted roadside assistance and they suggested I take it to a service center. 3 hours later I came back and it wasn’t making the sound. I then disconnected from the charger and hopped in the car and it started again! So I took it to the Tesla service center and hopped out and caught it winding down like this. It stopped right after this. Tesla service couldn’t identify the issue or recreate it. They asked me to drive it around and come back if it does it again. Any ideas what this sound is?

It started when driving maybe 5 miles an hour or less and starting to park after driving maybe 30-45 min on the highway. It doesn’t appear to be linked to AC, we tried all levels on/off. I also took it to a super charger and charged it for 40 min to see if the heat would trigger it (Tesla service suggested). It appears to happen after maybe driving 30-40 min only. We can’t get it to happen again! It seemed to happen when parked. First time I heard it, it lasted for over 10 minutes as I was parked and panicking on how to reboot/shutdown. It also drives completely normal and has no errors even when Tesla checks diagnostics.

Everything sounded normal while supercharging (which reached 300miles an hr charging lol).

Reactions: hcdavis3

This morning I arrived at work and my Tesla started making the worst sound I’ve heard. Very loud. I tried rebooting (with and without brake pedal) and it kept making the sound. I then powered off and it stopped. When I waited 3 minutes and powered back up it began again. I then powered off and then hopped out of the car and the sound wasn’t happening, so I plugged it into a charger. I contacted roadside assistance and they suggested I take it to a service center. 3 hours later I came back and it wasn’t making the sound. I then disconnected from the charger and hopped in the car and it started again! So I took it to the Tesla service center and hopped out and caught it winding down like this. It stopped right after this. Tesla service couldn’t identify the issue or recreate it. They asked me to drive it around and come back if it does it again. Any ideas what this sound is?

It started when driving maybe 5 miles an hour or less and starting to park after driving maybe 30-45 min on the highway. It doesn’t appear to be linked to AC, we tried all levels on/off. I also took it to a super charger and charged it for 40 min to see if the heat would trigger it (Tesla service suggested). It appears to happen after maybe driving 30-40 min only. We can’t get it to happen again! It seemed to happen when parked. First time I heard it, it lasted for over 10 minutes as I was parked and panicking on how to reboot/shutdown. It also drives completely normal and has no errors even when Tesla checks diagnostics.

Everything sounded normal while supercharging (which reached 300miles an hr charging lol).
I hope you get this sorted out quickly. I agree that’s the worst sound I ever heard. Good luck.

Strangely we cann
Sounds like something broke loose and is hitting a fan inside, try with the fan & A/C off. This is something new, I haven’t heard this one.

Fred
Strangely we cannot get it to happen again. I’ve tried recreating the amount of drive, temperatures, and AC/fan both on/off. I do have a feeling it will happen again. I’ll try to capture more of it. The Tesla service center wants me to drive it there and have them start tearing it apart to find the noise while it’s happening. I’m not so happy about this. It seems like they should make educated guesses and replace parts.

Strangely we cann

Strangely we cannot get it to happen again. I’ve tried recreating the amount of drive, temperatures, and AC/fan both on/off. I do have a feeling it will happen again. I’ll try to capture more of it. The Tesla service center wants me to drive it there and have them start tearing it apart to find the noise while it’s happening. I’m not so happy about this. It seems like they should make educated guesses and replace parts.
If it has stopped, maybe the fan broke or cleared the debris that was stuck in there already.

Reactions: hcdavis3