Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help on P100D vs 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of things right out of the gate:

1. I am well aware that I am in analysis paralysis mode.
2. I am also well aware that my original breadth of spec has narrowed significantly and my options are limited as a result.
3. I am also well aware that anyone asking this type of question is a good problem to have.
4. I am also well aware that the vast majority of responses are likely to be "personal choice" and "get what you want" types.

Regarding 4...my hope is that we can get past this and push some real opinions in. :)

Situation: started looking at CPOs, primarily white, red, and blue. Thought I wanted red. Ruled out blue. Ended up really liking white (drove a red Audi S4 previously, drive a white V8 Audi S4 sedan and a silver V8 Audi S4 Avant currently). Spec I am looking for: premium sound, sunroof, wheels don't matter as I will upgrade to 21's, AP, tan/cream or black prem int. CPO inventory dropped and I decided to go new-ish.

Current Situation: have a deposit down on a 2018 P100D (Glass Roof, Prem Sound, EAP, Prem Int, 19" Slipstreams...upgradeable to 21's for $2K) Blue with Cream interior. And, I've come to terms with the Blue and actually like the Blue/Cream combo.

Price....spec sheet quote: $143,500 -----> Inventory car with 2,712 miles -$21,222 = $123,478.

Tesla SP checks back (I had asked to keep eyes open for white) with:

2018 100D: 6,700 miles, inventory car, White, black w/carbon, Prem Sound, Prem Int, Sunroof, EAP, 19" slipstreams. Price: $111,050 - $10,924 = $101,326. Would require $2K to get to the 21s, so call it $103,326.

During the CPO phase I was looking at P85Ds, but when I switched over to the new-ish I was focused on 100s.

Here's the rub: I think I really want a sunroof. Potentially prefer white. Yet I think the P100D is the better deal. Looking for some guidance/direction/sanity/recommendations.

What say you? Thanks.

Is 20k worth the couple times you’ll punch it and have bragging rights? If yes then go for the P. Just don’t drive the P before or after the 100D. Bad idea.

PS- that 100D is not that good of a deal. Also it’s a 2018 and already has almost 7k miles? That’s a lot of mileage for 2 months.

Uh, let me fix that for you:
Is 20k worth the hundreds of times you’ll punch it and giggle with glee? If yes then go for the P.
:) :) :)

I suppose you are right. However the 100D is no slouch either. But I do see your point, I made a mistake of driving a P100D after buying a 75D, and it’s now constantly on the back of my mind :(

Reactions: Pezpunk
A couple of things right out of the gate:

Tesla SP checks back (I had asked to keep eyes open for white) with:

2018 100D: 6,700 miles, inventory car, White, black w/carbon, Prem Sound, Prem Int, Sunroof, EAP, 19" slipstreams. Price: $111,050 - $10,924 = $101,326. Would require $2K to get to the 21s, so call it $103,326.

What say you? Thanks.

I'm sorry, but unless this is a typo, it is a horrible deal. NO!

6,700 miles for that price is an absolute no!

If you do decide to buy a 100d, please find another.

message me with any questions and for my referral code,

Shawn

I am lucky enough to have both 85D and P100D.

Okay the 85D is not quite the 100D but the P100D is in a different league in normal driving

Everyone naturally focusses on the off the line performance of the P100D, but it is the pull at highway speeds that is light and day.
It is just so much better to drive, any overtake is just done.

If you can afford it you wont regret it.

I have never owned or driven a P. (I had an X P90D loaner for a day but resisted the urge and put it into Sport mode).

I do like the pano roof on my 85. Since I have a classic 5.4 sec Tesla, either a 100D or P100D would be a huge performance upgrade.

It is also a requirement for Satellite radio so if you are an XM junkie like me, you’ll need it.

I’ve owned both the 90D and P100D. Yes the P has more acceleration at all speeds however I often felt the 90D was no slouch. And that was at 4.3sec vs 2.8-2.5). For common day driving, one usually doesn’t mash the peddle. And even when I did, the 90D was plenty fast.

We had an uncorked 100D loaner once while the P was in service and other than mashing off the line, the 100D was plenty fast. And for highway or overtaking, let’s be honest...the 100d’s torque and power would easily slam past anything. :) Ie. your behind a truck at 50mph. You mash the peddle to overtake. So either passing at 85mph in .4 seconds or 78mph at .6 seconds. There’s real world for you. Tesla doesn’t make slow cars!

The choice you have for the 100D is not a good one. The P is the better deal at the moment. Compare to a decent 100D deal.

Also if you are leasing though, funny enough the payment on your P may come out similar to the 100D as lease residuals are based on the original msrp.
Ie. We had a 50k (cnd) discount on our fully loaded P100 and the residual was still based on the original msrp. Lease payments were virtually identical to the same trim in 100D. No brainer.

We also have sunroof on all models so far and love the open fresh air and direct sunlight at times.

If I had to do it again, I’d take range and a bit less power. The 100D is a bloody fast car. Oddly the only time you’ll ever notice a difference is when dragging a P100D lol. Ie. A 100D will beat out an M5 off the line.Is that good enough??

Sort of like buying a Samsung 8000 series TV or a 7000 series Model. In store you will see a slight difference (barely) and once at home...you’ll never know and never care.

Last edited:
I don't understand the pricing in the USA, but surely that 100D is the same price as new? A quick glance suggests $7,500 USD rebate from feds + $2,500 from California. Why buy a used car in that case?

In terms of your actual question -- P vs non-P -- it breaks down like this:

- if you've never driven P, the non-P is zippy enough and saves $
- if the $ don't matter, P is better

So bottom line is if the $ doesn't matter to you, then buy P because you'll enjoy it daily. If you don't, you'll regret it every time you're in a P and depending how obsessive you are potentially more often (the fact that you're posting suggests you fall into the latter category).

If the $ matter, because say you'd like to buy a friend a Mercedes Smart with the leftover $, then buy the 100D which is absolutely all you actually "need". Or buy your whole family fancy e-bikes. Or go on a vacation to Hawaii. Or do whatever else you might enjoy for $20k. (Let me not mention the price of service + extended warranty plans, at least the latter of which I would wholeheartedly recommend given Tesla's dismal record).

My own situation: I have a Model X 100D, and had previously bought my wife a Signature Model X P90D. For me the price difference was large enough that I just couldn't justify P for myself. I do notice that her car is faster, but I'm happy with mine.

What a great position to be in. Personally I think the 100D is plenty fast enough for all practical purposes. Unless you plan to go to the track you will not want for performance. It is up to you if 20k is worth those bragging rights. Again good luck with your choice.

I don't understand the pricing in the USA, but surely that 100D is the same price as new? A quick glance suggests $7,500 USD rebate from feds + $2,500 from California. Why buy a used car in that case?

The CA rebate doesn’t apply to anyone who can afford a Tesla (anymore). A little tongue in cheek there, but it has changed a bit. So assume the $7,500 applies to both cars.

As far as new vs used...I could say the same to you: I don’t know why someone would ever buy a new car. I never have (yet) because it just doesn’t make any sense when you get someone else to pay Y1 depreciation. Then again, there’s not a lot financially sensible in the Tesla scenario overall as a car gets you from point A to point B. It’s how you want to get there that changes it up.

As far as new vs used...I could say the same to you: I don’t know why someone would ever buy a new car. I never have (yet) because it just doesn’t make any sense when you get someone else to pay Y1 depreciation. Then again, there’s not a lot financially sensible in the Tesla scenario overall as a car gets you from point A to point B. It’s how you want to get there that changes it up.

I 100% agree with this, except in the case of Tesla there are 2 good reasons to buy new: (1) a recently built car will have the very latest hardware and is more likely to include things that will be enabled in future software updates; and (2) Tesla's quality track record is miserable and getting slowly better all the time, so a more recent car benefits from latest build techniques. Factor in a rebate that almost equals the discount offered on the 100D and it is clear that better pricing should be sought, or a new car bought.

Ok, so this a great collection of responses. Thank you. To summarize:

1. If you want to go fast, get the P. (Including a vote for there being a difference in everyday driving, which I appreciate).
2. The 100D deal is bad. Any more detail here would help.
3. The P deal is good. Am I overstating that? At least in therms of what I can see with my Tesla Rep it’s the 3rd highest markdown in CA. So it can’t be that bad.

So if the 100D is really that bad a deal, I either need to find a better with a sunroof, or decide I can live without it. For those of you who brought the XM question, thanks for that but I’ve been an XM subscriber for years and always want to cancel but just never do. So it won’t be on whatever car I get next.

The CA rebate doesn’t apply to anyone who can afford a Tesla (anymore). A little tongue in cheek there, but it has changed a bit. So assume the $7,500 applies to both cars.

The $7500 tax credit does NOT apply to used cars... so if it is really CPO/given the mileage, the 100D is still a terrible deal.

I guess if Tesla was using it as a loaner and never registered it, the 100D might still be eligible for the credit... but that’s a lot of wear and tear on a “new” car... I’d avoid it.

I 100% agree with this, except in the case of Tesla there are 2 good reasons to buy new: (1) a recently built car will have the very latest hardware and is more likely to include things that will be enabled in future software updates; and (2) Tesla's quality track record is miserable and getting slowly better all the time, so a more recent car benefits from latest build techniques. Factor in a rebate that almost equals the discount offered on the 100D and it is clear that better pricing should be sought, or a new car bought.

The $7,500 applies to the 100D. It applies to both cars. They have both technically never been “owned” there the credit goes to the 1st “owner”. And that person will be whoever buys the vehicle.

The $7500 tax credit does NOT apply to used cars... so if it is really CPO/given the mileage, the 100D is still a terrible deal.

I guess if Tesla was using it as a loaner and never registered it, the 100D might still be eligible for the credit... but that’s a lot of wear and tear on a “new” car... I’d avoid it.

The $7,500 does apply. The car has never had an owner. Tesla’s use of it, for however long, does not preclude it from the $7,500 which goes the first “owner”. Usage and ownership are two entirely different things relative to the credit.

The $7,500 does apply. The car has never had an owner. Tesla’s use of it, for however long, does not preclude it from the $7,500 which goes the first “owner”. Usage and ownership are two entirely different things relative to the credit.

Slightly less bad of a deal then :)

On the P100D vs 100D debate... personally I’m in the 100D camp (100D is a little lighter, and has slightly better range, still very fast). But I also think my 75D is plenty fast ;-)

Reactions: PrGrPa
Ok, so this a great collection of responses. Thank you. To summarize:

1. If you want to go fast, get the P. (Including a vote for there being a difference in everyday driving, which I appreciate).
2. The 100D deal is bad. Any more detail here would help.
3. The P deal is good. Am I overstating that? At least in therms of what I can see with my Tesla Rep it’s the 3rd highest markdown in CA. So it can’t be that bad.

So if the 100D is really that bad a deal, I either need to find a better with a sunroof, or decide I can live without it. For those of you who brought the XM question, thanks for that but I’ve been an XM subscriber for years and always want to cancel but just never do. So it won’t be on whatever car I get next.

One thing to add here: I’m sure I’d be enamored with the P, but I consider both cars fast.