Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help on P100D vs 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly less bad of a deal then :)

On the P100D vs 100D debate... personally I’m in the 100D camp (100D is a little lighter, and has slightly better range, still very fast). But I also think my 75D is plenty fast ;-)

I’ve got a 110 mile R/T commute, so the 75 vs 100 debate was put to bed early. :)

I also debated between the P100D and the 100D when I was shopping around. However, in British Columbia where I live, the P100D would require far higher insurance as BC has rules for cars over $150k MSRP. Plus, I wanted more range rather than power and if I wanted more power I would just wait to buy a Roadster instead in the future. The regular 100D is extremely fast to begin with and is $54k cheaper. That is a huge chunk of change.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I've got a P100D and an 85 and yes while the P100D is crazy fast off the line, the rest of the time there isn't much difference. Certainly not enough to justify the price difference. In addition on the P100D to get the full performance out of it, you need to heat the battery up, and then do the launch mode thing which is a bit of a pain. The practical difference between a 100D and a P100D is fairly minimal.

As an aside, find out the build date of that 100D (or at least the VIN), I doubt it was built this year, probably was a summer 2017 car from that number of miles.

Even the "plain" 100D is pretty darn fast. While driving at 60-70, if I floor it to pass, or get away from problem drivers, I can easily find myself nearing 100 mph in just a few seconds unless I am careful. I fear what might happen with a P100D. It accelerates so fast that the time to enjoy the acceleration is considerably reduced.

As an owner of an 85D, I don't normally floor it all that often so even I don't get the full benefit of the non-performance version. It's more than quick for every scenario out there. I've thought many times that I was glad I didn't drop an extra $20k for the performance edition for something I'd probably "use" once a month.

All my friends who have the 100D and got a p100d as a loaner all told me this...

if i can afford the p100d, get the p100d, otherwise i will regret not getting the p100d when i get a p100d loaner...
They all tell me its a ludicrously fun car to drive, and when people see that P tag in the rear, no one has the guts to challenge you unless its a super exoitic sports car.

The cost difference also isnt 50k, because a lot of the interior upgrades are standard including PUP and carbon fiber spoiler and red calipers.

But if you find it difficult to afford one or just dont see the financial aspect in a car being more fun, then stay with the 100D, and pray u don't get a P100D loaner.
Because again, you will be like my friends who told me that exact statement once u do.

Model S 100D 5YJSA1E25HF219653 | Tesla
Model S 100D 5YJSA1E22HF224292 | Tesla

Above are a couple 100Ds that look like a better deal.

$124,000 for an inventory P100D is pretty good.

I don't open my sunroof because I don't like the added noise.

I wish I had a P. Maybe if I had one I would tire of it and wish I had the extra range and a few more bucks in my pocket. All things being equal, I would spend $20,000 more for a P and expect half of that back on resale. Wouldn't spend $40,000 more.

I've got a P100D and an 85 and yes while the P100D is crazy fast off the line, the rest of the time there isn't much difference. Certainly not enough to justify the price difference. In addition on the P100D to get the full performance out of it, you need to heat the battery up, and then do the launch mode thing which is a bit of a pain. The practical difference between a 100D and a P100D is fairly minimal.

As an aside, find out the build date of that 100D (or at least the VIN), I doubt it was built this year, probably was a summer 2017 car from that number of miles.

Regarding the build date...I should have edited that actually...it is a 2017, I was just going kind of fast when I typed that. (Pun fully intended).

Owned both an 85D and a P100D. Get the P, I have never heard anyone regret it. You will have a smile on your face driving either car, its just gonna be a little bit bigger in the P100D. I think its the best of both worlds--you still get 315 miles on a full charge and crazy acceleration. As stated above, the highway passing power is where you really feel the difference, my 85D seemed to lack significant acceleration at highway speeds.

Reactions: Pezpunk
85 owner here, since july 2015.
I've had several P loaners, including P90D Ludicrous. No P100D so far, admittedly.

Though in the first year, like some others, I would stay away from punching P loaners, being afraid of feeling sad to own a 85, I lately changed my mind, mostly for doing some launch for the kids.
Surprisingly, though the perf is for sure better, it made me appreciate my 85 even more. Because, damn, my car is fast.

If you have a family, you'll soon notice that those acceleration bursts that Tesla cars offer at any speed (and even more so for a P100D), are fun at first, for passengers are really getting sick quickly. Hence the Chill mode btw.

The only reason I'd go for a P is if cash did not matter. But that's just me.
Anyway, you won't regret your choice, any Tesla is a grin inducing device

The difference with the P isn't just from a stop -- at highway speeds, its passing power is simply awesome. Anyone who says they'd only use it "once a month" does not own one. :)
I use mine all the time. Its great, however the passing performance of an 85 is still ridiculous compared to everything not-Tesla. The P100D just isn't worth the ridiculous markup. If it had a body kit and the + suspension I'd feel differently.