Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help. Serious range problems. LR, Dual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your consumption sounds fair.

There's a bit of battery deg and fuzzy measure of capacity mixed in there.

I bet if you drove the car until the battery is absolutely drainedm, you'd be closer to 300. Of course, that's not a realistic or recommended scenario.

Reactions: rickdogg82
That vampire drain seems a little high, especially in warm temps. I've just left mine for 3 days in coldish (about 6 deg C) weather and seen only 3% drain. I made a paoint of checking this as I was curious. Do you have sentry mode enabled or FSD summon turned on?

I've found that switching AC off and relying on the blower to keep things cool has a pretty big impact on range for long journeys. Obviously not an option if it's a hot day, but worth checking if you can.

Your consumption sounds fair.

There's a bit of battery deg and fuzzy measure of capacity mixed in there.

I bet if you drove the car until the battery is absolutely drainedm, you'd be closer to 300. Of course, that's not a realistic or recommended scenario.
Like this.
744EA1F0-B1B1-40CA-BE84-722F88207090.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
After speaking with multiple Tesla owners, most are disappointed in their range (me included).What I have been able to gather is that on average, real world range in summer is about 75% of what Tesla advertises, In winter, that number is about 50% (sometimes much worse) of what Tesla advertises. Tesla is being very unethical on the way they are consistently telling non truths about range. They are actually hurting the EV cause (if you want to call it that). I myself am not going to buy another EV until battery tech improves and matures.

I see very little mention of wind in this thread. Wind has a major impact on efficiency and range, and Texas can be a windy place. Driving 65 with a 20 MPH head wind is the same as driving 85 MPH on a calm day.

Regarding efficiency and outside temperature, this graph from my dual motor Model 3 should help.

3FB0470D-F27F-49CD-A7B4-E2EB24DC1046.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
Thank you all. I really appreciate all the great responses. I took delivery of my car in September 2018. The VIN is in the 66,000 range. All three tests were performed within the past few weeks. The temperature for all three test was roughly between 70° and 78°F.

Anytime I am on the highways I do use cruise control for efficiency purposes. Test #1 was non stop, McAllen, TX to Three Rivers, TX (165 miles).

Test #3 was where I was hoping to achieve, at least, close to 300 miles for the full charge. That was pure, 100%, city driving with lots of regen. Everything I did in test #3 was with the expressed purpose of trying to achieve maximum range. I never accelerated hard from a standstill. I feathered all of my starts watching the energy graph closely. Never over 50 mph. The far majority of the driving was between 35 and 45 mph. I did everything in my power to try to achieve maximum range. I didn’t turn the radio on and even the fan speed was set to 1. No passengers, no cargo, just me and hopes and dreams.

Would you say I have a reportable problem to Tesla?

You can report anything you want, but whether they do anything is a separate matter. Because of the manufacturer date of your car, you could check with them to see if your car is one of the vins with the battery issue. Failing that, tesla will tell you "this is within specifications" and send you on your way.

After speaking with multiple Tesla owners, most are disappointed in their range (me included).What I have been able to gather is that on average, real world range in summer is about 75% of what Tesla advertises, In winter, that number is about 50% (sometimes much worse) of what Tesla advertises. Tesla is being very unethical on the way they are consistently telling non truths about range. They are actually hurting the EV cause (if you want to call it that). I myself am not going to buy another EV until battery tech improves and matures.

The rated range is EPA tests, that apply to all EV manufacturers. This is not "Tesla", its results from the government mandated tests. Blame those.

I have a LR AWD with about 44k miles on it. I have 19" wheels.

In TX with the chip and seal roads the mileage is pretty bad. Smoother asphalt/concrete roads do better.

When it is below 80 degrees I only count on 220-240 miles on a full charge. On hot days, 260+. If I really nurse it (driving slow/drafting behind semis etc), I can get close to 300.

On cold days I turn off the climate control and only use the seat heater. Of course in TX/OK where I drive it does not usually get exceptionally cold. If it is hot enough outside for the AC I leave it on.

Reporting max range of full battery is equal to max range of a full fuel tank, one does not generally drive to zero (completely dry tank) but folks don't do that math when wondering why they don't actually get 300 miles (or whatever) per charge
But we do measure fuel used against distance traveled. YMMV applies heavily either way but you generally don’t see a 30-50% swing in nominal range on fossil cars by the season.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
But we do measure fuel used against distance traveled. YMMV applies heavily either way but you generally don’t see a 30-50% swing in nominal range on fossil cars by the season.

That’s mostly due to fossil fueled cars being inherently less efficient. Cabin heat in a gas car is basically free because it’s wasted energy whether you use it or not.

That’s mostly due to fossil fueled cars being inherently less efficient. Cabin heat in a gas car is basically free because it’s wasted energy whether you use it or not.

This is factually true, but not a point that makes your effective range in an EV more comfortable unfortunately. What especially sucks is that despite this, fast charging can be quite close in price to gas despite getting far less energy.