Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some last minute advice!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

First off, I just want to say thank you to everyone on this forum. The knowledge that i've received on my journey to purchasing my first Tesla has been great, and i've learned a lot from all your experiences and anecdotes.

So I have narrowed down the options on my model S, and need some last minute advice between a couple.

I have been going back and forth on AWD or RWD.

I've made the decision that if i upgrade to AWD (60D), I will forego the upfront purchase of AP. My logic is this: I can always add AP after the fact (albeit for a premium), while AWD can't be added post purchase (well, maybe it could, but not easily).

I live in socal and don't do a ton of freeway driving. I live in the hills (if you can call them that) of inland north San Diego County (Vista, CA if anyone is familiar with the area). My morning commute is about 10 miles one way, and no freeways.

I test drove both the D and the non-D model. I liked the way the D model felt, but the $5K cost to upgrade does not come cheap.

So, my question(s): being that i'm located in socal and weather isn't an issue, is the D worth it for pure driving enjoyment and pleasure? Enough to forego AP for a while until i can save up for it and pay in cash?

Also, i've read that there is a 30 day trial on AP for those who don't order it with the car, is this still true
?

I realize this is highly individual, but I would love to hear some personal feedback and any advice on my impending decision.

Here's my build:
Midnight Silver
All Glass Roof
Textile Seats
Standard interior
Standard Sound

Thanks everyone!

You clearly do not require AWD, given your location, but AWD does give better handling and an overall more solid feel. It also offers somewhat better efficiency on the highway with the "torque sleep" function to shut down the rear motor.

If it is mainly a matter of cash flow, deferring AP makes some sense, as you point out. But speaking from experience, you will definitely want the AP sooner than later.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!

This is a tough one but here is my advice. You can't add the AWD option later but you can unlock AP in the future. If it were me, I would opt for AWD because AP2 is going to take some time to materialize. The AP2 cars that were just delivered don't have any functioning AP at the moment nor does the cruise control work at this time.

Reactions: whitex
Vista California, the home of Jungle Jacks Plumerias!

I struggled with the same choice and ultimately opted for the 60 no D. I live in phoenix and will primarily use it for freeway driving. I just couldn't justify the extra money for the little bit of range gain and something I would probably never benefit from.

I really wanted the AP2 so I can have the car pull itself into our smallish garage that already houses a Lincoln Navigator.

The feeling of the car at launch was never a concern as I am a 37 year old dad, my speed demon launch days are over.

• Helpful
Reactions: Xminus6
You clearly do not require AWD, given your location, but AWD does give better handling and an overall more solid feel. It also offers somewhat better efficiency on the highway with the "torque sleep" function to shut down the rear motor.

If it is mainly a matter of cash flow, deferring AP makes some sense, as you point out. But speaking from experience, you will definitely want the AP sooner than later.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!

Yes, it's definitely not a requirement. I definitely plan on getting the AP at some point, but for some reason, my gut is telling me to 'GET THE D!'

Once you try AP, you WILL get it. I use it daily on my 35 mile one way commute. I didn't see the need for AWD in CA and used that money for next gen seats etc.

Luckily, I liked the textiles more than the Next Gen. I like the firmer feel and didn't like the look of the leather wear on the showroom models.

This is a tough one but here is my advice. You can't add the AWD option later but you can unlock AP in the future. If it were me, I would opt for AWD because AP2 is going to take some time to materialize. The AP2 cars that were just delivered don't have any functioning AP at the moment nor does the cruise control work at this time.

This is exactly my thoughts as well and it's nice to have confirmation. Thanks for the feedback!

I drove both RWD and AWD models and the AWD model felt rock solid on launch and in the corners....the RWD model was slightly squirrely. I would definitely recommend the AWD version regardless of where you live.

Okay, i'm convinced. AWD now, AP sometime in the future :)

I would do the AWD and AP, when you are spending this kind of money get what you want. We do not use AP much in our X but when we do it is special, use it on trips on the highway. Having an S without AWD and AP and parking sensors etc. I can appreciate the advancement in technology that has happened in just a few years.

I will add agreement with what most others have said. If you are torn between the 2, you always add the one that can not be added later. That said, you don't have a need for AWD in your situation so you could also just bank the extra $5k. I am also one of the of those that dares to speak the blasphemy here that AP isn't the otherworldly life changing thing it is hyped as if you don't have a commute that uses it. I barely use it. You have a 10 mile commute with no freeways. It isn't changing your day to day life at all. If you own a Tesla you almost have to get AP, but not having it day 1 isn't going to be a big deal in your situation. If it matters, I have AP1, but no D.

Being a So Cal resident as well, AWD is not needed unless you plan on going up to the mountains during winter. Even then, chains will suffice just fine. However, AWD is a completely different driving experience than RWD. I would try both and make a decision after. Good luck!

I have considerable seat time with RWD (P85) and every time I get in an AWD Model S I wish mine had AWD. As others have said, the handling difference in an AWD is very noticeable and very positive. I'd get the AWD and save up to add AP later. Paying a slight premium for AP later is worth getting AWD, without a doubt.

Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

First off, I just want to say thank you to everyone on this forum. The knowledge that i've received on my journey to purchasing my first Tesla has been great, and i've learned a lot from all your experiences and anecdotes.

So I have narrowed down the options on my model S, and need some last minute advice between a couple.

I have been going back and forth on AWD or RWD.

I've made the decision that if i upgrade to AWD (60D), I will forego the upfront purchase of AP. My logic is this: I can always add AP after the fact (albeit for a premium), while AWD can't be added post purchase (well, maybe it could, but not easily).

I live in socal and don't do a ton of freeway driving. I live in the hills (if you can call them that) of inland north San Diego County (Vista, CA if anyone is familiar with the area). My morning commute is about 10 miles one way, and no freeways.

I test drove both the D and the non-D model. I liked the way the D model felt, but the $5K cost to upgrade does not come cheap.

So, my question(s): being that i'm located in socal and weather isn't an issue, is the D worth it for pure driving enjoyment and pleasure? Enough to forego AP for a while until i can save up for it and pay in cash?

Also, i've read that there is a 30 day trial on AP for those who don't order it with the car, is this still true
?

I realize this is highly individual, but I would love to hear some personal feedback and any advice on my impending decision.

Here's my build:
Midnight Silver
All Glass Roof
Textile Seats
Standard interior
Standard Sound

Thanks everyone!

I live in oceanside and commute past vista every day to Poway, and also to Irvine after I switched jobs. My non-D 85 is just fine. I have had D loaners and felt a difference, but if it came down to budget id skip the D for the AP, unless i knew id fork out more later to have both, as you've indicated. AP is cool, but I don't have it and love driving my car without AWD; so there's your neighborly opinion from someone who has neither.

Another way of looking at:

If you don't get AWD, you will never miss it, and you will be very satisfied with your car. If you don't get EAP, you will almost certainly add it. So if your strong intention is to get one but not both, then get EAP.

Reactions: e-FTW
NOTE that besides the all wheel drive, 60D has 8 miles more range than an S60 and 75D has 10 miles more range than an S75.

Also, I have a 4 year old P85, which only came in rear wheel drive - and handling has been fine without dual motors.

I drive a 2013 S85 and my wife has a 2015 70D (...see below). We live in NoCA (SF Bay Area) and do not go to snow country. I vastly prefer driving her car. Better handling--more solid feel. Better 'mileage' due to dual motor efficiencies. More even tire wear. All good. I would get a D every time....

Reactions: CKCland