TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Need some last minute advice!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SDFan13, Nov 21, 2016.

1. SDFan13

SDFan13 Member

Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

First off, I just want to say thank you to everyone on this forum. The knowledge that i've received on my journey to purchasing my first Tesla has been great, and i've learned a lot from all your experiences and anecdotes.

So I have narrowed down the options on my model S, and need some last minute advice between a couple.

I have been going back and forth on AWD or RWD.

I've made the decision that if i upgrade to AWD (60D), I will forego the upfront purchase of AP. My logic is this: I can always add AP after the fact (albeit for a premium), while AWD can't be added post purchase (well, maybe it could, but not easily).

I live in socal and don't do a ton of freeway driving. I live in the hills (if you can call them that) of inland north San Diego County (Vista, CA if anyone is familiar with the area). My morning commute is about 10 miles one way, and no freeways.

I test drove both the D and the non-D model. I liked the way the D model felt, but the $5K cost to upgrade does not come cheap.

So, my question(s): being that i'm located in socal and weather isn't an issue, is the D worth it for pure driving enjoyment and pleasure? Enough to forego AP for a while until i can save up for it and pay in cash?

Also, i've read that there is a 30 day trial on AP for those who don't order it with the car, is this still true
    ?

I realize this is highly individual, but I would love to hear some personal feedback and any advice on my impending decision.

Here's my build:
    Midnight Silver
    All Glass Roof
    Textile Seats
    Standard interior
    Standard Sound

Thanks everyone!

2. Vger

Vger Active Member

You clearly do not require AWD, given your location, but AWD does give better handling and an overall more solid feel. It also offers somewhat better efficiency on the highway with the "torque sleep" function to shut down the rear motor.

If it is mainly a matter of cash flow, deferring AP makes some sense, as you point out. But speaking from experience, you will definitely want the AP sooner than later.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!

3. joebiker25

joebiker25 Member

Once you try AP, you WILL get it. I use it daily on my 35 mile one way commute. I didn't see the need for AWD in CA and used that money for next gen seats etc.

4. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

This is a tough one but here is my advice. You can't add the AWD option later but you can unlock AP in the future. If it were me, I would opt for AWD because AP2 is going to take some time to materialize. The AP2 cars that were just delivered don't have any functioning AP at the moment nor does the cruise control work at this time.

• Like x 1
  5. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

I drove both RWD and AWD models and the AWD model felt rock solid on launch and in the corners....the RWD model was slightly squirrely. I would definitely recommend the AWD version regardless of where you live.

6. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Also, you will get more even tire wear with AWD.

7. thimel

thimel Member

Unless you go up to the snow in the mountains, I'd suggest AP over AWD. It is a real blessing especially in stop and go traffic.

8. KF94563

KF94563 Member

You will want them both (as an owner and at re-sale / trade). You can only defer AP, so I think you are making a good choice to order a D and save up to activate AP.

9. Lobstakilla

Lobstakilla Member

Vista California, the home of Jungle Jacks Plumerias!

I struggled with the same choice and ultimately opted for the 60 no D. I live in phoenix and will primarily use it for freeway driving. I just couldn't justify the extra money for the little bit of range gain and something I would probably never benefit from.

I really wanted the AP2 so I can have the car pull itself into our smallish garage that already houses a Lincoln Navigator.

The feeling of the car at launch was never a concern as I am a 37 year old dad, my speed demon launch days are over.

• Helpful x 1
  10. SDFan13

SDFan13 Member

Yes, it's definitely not a requirement. I definitely plan on getting the AP at some point, but for some reason, my gut is telling me to 'GET THE D!'

Luckily, I liked the textiles more than the Next Gen. I like the firmer feel and didn't like the look of the leather wear on the showroom models.

This is exactly my thoughts as well and it's nice to have confirmation. Thanks for the feedback!

Okay, i'm convinced. AWD now, AP sometime in the future :)

11. Lobstakilla

Lobstakilla Member

I also thought the extra $5k would be better spent on window tint, Expel front bra and powder coating my wheels satin black.

12. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I would do the AWD and AP, when you are spending this kind of money get what you want. We do not use AP much in our X but when we do it is special, use it on trips on the highway. Having an S without AWD and AP and parking sensors etc. I can appreciate the advancement in technology that has happened in just a few years.

13. democappy

democappy Member

I will add agreement with what most others have said. If you are torn between the 2, you always add the one that can not be added later. That said, you don't have a need for AWD in your situation so you could also just bank the extra $5k. I am also one of the of those that dares to speak the blasphemy here that AP isn't the otherworldly life changing thing it is hyped as if you don't have a commute that uses it. I barely use it. You have a 10 mile commute with no freeways. It isn't changing your day to day life at all. If you own a Tesla you almost have to get AP, but not having it day 1 isn't going to be a big deal in your situation. If it matters, I have AP1, but no D.

14. RWcarbon

RWcarbon Vendor

Being a So Cal resident as well, AWD is not needed unless you plan on going up to the mountains during winter. Even then, chains will suffice just fine. However, AWD is a completely different driving experience than RWD. I would try both and make a decision after. Good luck!

15. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I have considerable seat time with RWD (P85) and every time I get in an AWD Model S I wish mine had AWD. As others have said, the handling difference in an AWD is very noticeable and very positive. I'd get the AWD and save up to add AP later. Paying a slight premium for AP later is worth getting AWD, without a doubt.

16. demundus

demundus Member

I live in oceanside and commute past vista every day to Poway, and also to Irvine after I switched jobs. My non-D 85 is just fine. I have had D loaners and felt a difference, but if it came down to budget id skip the D for the AP, unless i knew id fork out more later to have both, as you've indicated. AP is cool, but I don't have it and love driving my car without AWD; so there's your neighborly opinion from someone who has neither.

17. LastGas

LastGas Member

Another way of looking at:

If you don't get AWD, you will never miss it, and you will be very satisfied with your car. If you don't get EAP, you will almost certainly add it. So if your strong intention is to get one but not both, then get EAP.

• Like x 1
  18. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

NOTE that besides the all wheel drive, 60D has 8 miles more range than an S60 and 75D has 10 miles more range than an S75.

Also, I have a 4 year old P85, which only came in rear wheel drive - and handling has been fine without dual motors.

19. SharonB

SharonB Member

Get Air suspension if you can.

I really regret not getting it. This car is so so low....lower than many other luxury cars. And I came from an SUV and I just put a big rip on my lower panel already. CA-CHING!!!!

• Like x 1
  20. JPP

JPP Active Member

I drive a 2013 S85 and my wife has a 2015 70D (...see below). We live in NoCA (SF Bay Area) and do not go to snow country. I vastly prefer driving her car. Better handling--more solid feel. Better 'mileage' due to dual motor efficiencies. More even tire wear. All good. I would get a D every time....

• Like x 1