Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some Model S Counseling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fellow Tesla Friends, I am in need of some questions answered.

I placed my Model S order on May 27th. I have the VIN, but that status states late July - August.

I've read that the Tesla website does not really update that status, but rather an email would be sent out when the car goes into production. Is that correct? Should I email the DS at some point for an update?

For those of you have have used Opti-Coat, how quickly did you have it done after delivery?

Also, if getting Xpel really worth it? If so, can you see it after it's been Opti-Coated?

Does the Model S have puddle lamps?

For those who have the pano roof, should I consider getting a sun shade?

I read somewhere that the air conditioner and heat are not great. Can anyone validate that?

Thanks for your help. Super excited and am counting down the days!!

I've read that the Tesla website does not really update that status, but rather an email would be sent out when the car goes into production. Is that correct? Should I email the DS at some point for an update?

I didn't send any emails. Just waited for Tesla to do their thing. Others like more communication

Yes. (might need premium interior package these days to get them. Door handles also have puddle lights in them)

The tint is very dark and blocks most of the heat. Never needed a shade, even in 105degree weather.

I read somewhere that the air conditioner and heat are not great. Can anyone validate that?

AC seems fine to me. Have to set the temp lower than you'd expect, which might contribute to impression that it is weak.

You are going to love the car. The wait is the hardest part.
I think the updates on the MyTesla page were pretty good actually. I would keep in touch with your DS but my experience was that mine was not all that responsive until we got to about 2 weeks from delivery. I don't have Xpel but others have raved about it. I had a clear bra and paint protection similar to Opti-coat applied by my local Z-Bart store. After 1 year the car still looks like new
Yes the Model S has puddle lamps but they are weak as are the trunk and frunk lights. There is an aftermarket replacement for all of these that are great. I installed them in trunk and frunk.
I have a Pano roof. You do not need a sunshade.
AC and Heat are fine. AC is a bit noisy but works fine.
After 20,000 miles I still smile every time I get behind the wheel!

Reactions: Att1cus
The pano roof is factory tinted and you don't need a sunshade for it. However, the rear liftgate window is not tinted, and it can get quite warm back there as a result. I'd look into either getting a tint applied to the liftgate window, or getting the rear liftgate sunshade from the Tesla store. (I have the rear liftgate sunshade and just leave it in place all the time.)

I placed my Model S order on May 27th. I have the VIN, but that status states late July - August.

Things might have changed since last year, but if you have the VIN, then it's in the queue. Depending on whether it's a P, it may skip to the beginning of the queue and your Model S may be on the earlier end of the timeframe.

Tesla's ordering website is a little wonky on the delivery dates, but the MyTesla portion is more accurate. When the MyTesla says it is in Production, it's on the assembly line!

It only takes 3 days for Tesla to build your Model S. After that, your DS will contact you to schedule an appointment.

The only thing I can add is that the heater works just fine. In fact, it comes on much quicker than an ice in cold temperatures because it doesn't have to wait for the engine to get hot. There's some crazy guy who drives all over Norway in his and puts videos of it on YouTube ;). I have driven mine in 1 degree Fahrenheit and the heater worked perfectly.

Reactions: ggnykk
So I got the email today! My Tesla is in production. Problem is, I don't need it until the first week of August. How long does it typically take to get to the dealership? I am in NJ.

Does the DS call me to set up a date of delivery or does it get preassigned on the MyTesla homepage?

The pano roof is factory tinted and you don't need a sunshade for it. However, the rear liftgate window is not tinted, and it can get quite warm back there as a result. I'd look into either getting a tint applied to the liftgate window, or getting the rear liftgate sunshade from the Tesla store. (I have the rear liftgate sunshade and just leave it in place all the time.)
Ditto on the rear shade... Gotta have it

Reactions: CTShore
So I got the email today! My Tesla is in production. Problem is, I don't need it until the first week of August. How long does it typically take to get to the dealership? I am in NJ.

Does the DS call me to set up a date of delivery or does it get preassigned on the MyTesla homepage?
You can specify the pickup date with your DC... Do that now so you have a slot. NJ here too mine is 10 days old... Amazing!

Congratulations!

Your DS will call/email you to set up a date of delivery. They'll also probably send you a checklist of things you need to bring to the delivery and remind you to secure your financing.

For those of you have have used Opti-Coat, how quickly did you have it done after delivery?

Also, if getting Xpel really worth it? If so, can you see it after it's been Opti-Coated?

Thanks for your help. Super excited and am counting down the days!!

Your DS's email and phone number are on your My Tesla account. Use it. He will update you with the latest info if you bug him.