Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some quick advice on a used 2016 70D - 20kwh super charging speed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi, I was able to test drive a used 2016 model S 70d (86k miles) for a day...the battery range seems to be at 220 miles at 100% with some quick math...however, I took it to 3 different super charging station (I think this car has unlimited free super charging)...all 3 times the top charging speed peaked at 22kwh at most...the SC I was at was 72 / 150 / 250, doesn't seem to make a difference...I sat there for an whole hour and 17kwh was added...

Doing some quick research and it seems Tesla is slowing down the charging speed to protect the battery, so not sure if service will even try to fix this...
Would you get this car even the free super charging is super slow?

thx!

That depends, personally I go on road trips quite often so the charging speed at superchargers matters quite a bit to me, there’s no way I’d buy this car. It’s just not feasible for me to wait 1-2 hours at a supercharger.

hi, I was able to test drive a used 2016 model S 70d (86k miles) for a day...the battery range seems to be at 220 miles at 100% with some quick math...however, I took it to 3 different super charging station (I think this car has unlimited free super charging)...all 3 times the top charging speed peaked at 22kwh at most...the SC I was at was 72 / 150 / 250, doesn't seem to make a difference...I sat there for an whole hour and 17kwh was added...

Doing some quick research and it seems Tesla is slowing down the charging speed to protect the battery, so not sure if service will even try to fix this...

There are many factors that affect the Supercharging speed of a car besides the health of the battery or the maximum power output of the Supercharger. For example, Supercharging will go slower as the battery fills up. Also, the colder the battery is, the slower it will charge. See U3 in the following post for other examples:

California Supercharger Locations FAQ

IMHO there's not quite enough details in your post to say whether there's anything wrong with the car or not.

Bruce.

thanks for the info!
here are some more details…the outside temp was about 50-55f when I charge, and the SOC is around 50% give or take a couple…
at 22 kWh, it’s barely double the level 2 charger speed…(and 22 was the peak…most of the time it was hovering between 17 and 18)

Try it again at below SOC between 21% - 29%. I expect a speed of about 70kwh. Make sure to activate battery conditioning by either navigating to a supercharger or a destination that's not local but necessitates a supercharger stop.

Why do I say "not local"? It may be just anecdotal, but when we had the 2016 75D, charging at the local supercharger yielded charging speeds around that (70kwh). Road trips outside of local jurisdiction achieved >90kwh.

SOC above 30%, I think the car is programmed to charge up to 80-90% within 50min or longer locally. Does not matter what starting SOC, at least that's what it felt to me. I think it's to encourage using the supercharger for getting enough to get home and complete charging there.

Last edited:

thx!
If you have access to the app, can you upgrade it to a 75D? Or you can check the actual battery sticker by the right front tire.

If you have access to the app, can you upgrade it to a 75D? Or you can check the actual battery sticker by the right front tire.
Obviously not as OP stated was only testing. This implies for inability for preheat and seemingly the battery was not heated before getting to the charger as well. We do not know how was the charging selected, was the OP sharing it with someone?

I have a 70D (2015 so a bit different probably) and my supercharging is not quite as fast as new. But, nothing about this is a fair test.

You need to arrive with a warm battery and less than 20% SOC.

Are you planning on supercharging locally? That is generally a bad plan but maybe moreso with an older car. Planning on roadtripping? The new cars do so much better that if this is your plan, I would buy a newer car (ie Model 3).

We have both and we pay to supercharge the 3 (I have FUSC on the S). We never roadtrip with the S since the 3 is SO much faster. It also has 305 range or so which is worlds better than 220 - even if it doesn't sound like it. Yep - I'll pay the $20 to not wait around (but I don't have CA pricing).

Thanks all, I’m currently at a 72 sc trying again, soc was at 60%, 47f out…I set the Navi to go there but never heard the battery or the heater make any noise like my other tesla…arrived about 30 min after setting navigation, plugged in and got 18kw peak speed…now it’s settled in at 16kw:)

Ac and heater seems to be in good working order…

I don’t have access to the app and under “upgrade” on the dash there are none.

Thanks all, I’m currently at a 72 sc trying again, soc was at 60%, 47f out…I set the Navi to go there but never heard the battery or the heater make any noise like my other tesla…arrived about 30 min after setting navigation, plugged in and got 18kw peak speed…now it’s settled in at 16kw:)

Ac and heater seems to be in good working order…

I don’t have access to the app and under “upgrade” on the dash there are none.
Go into the service mode of the car, check to see active alerts. You may find ‘comp’ and ‘shutter’ alerts, possibly other alerts that would clue you into this car being hurt.

If possible I would check to see if there's not a faster super charge location in your area. I use to only go to one by my house that is max 72, but now I go to one that's 250 and my car charges a lot faster there. In the car you can check the charging stations and see what each one claims to be putting out.

I tried it at 4 different SC now, 72, 72, 150 and 250...all about going at 20kw or less...

I just found out how to put the car in service mode (very cool, btw), I see two active alerts...

THC_w0052_santiyPumpBat1
and
THC_d0005_pumpBat1

there are also other recent alerts, one that jump out is THC_w0115_santiyBatHeater, which also happened today...I'll do some search on those and see what I can find! thanks!

Interesting, I can have more than 39kW on third party 50kW DC charger (using CHAdeMo adapter) with around 23°F outside but I use preheating and navigation aid to arrive with sufficient battery. 2016 model S 70D, app. 73k miles

did some search on those error message and found zero relevant results...has anyone else seen those?
here are screen shot of them as well...

IMG_7539.jpeg

IMG_7540.jpeg

didn't search hard enough ;)

Reactions: Art VandeIay
You did a better job searching than I did:)…I put the terms in google and TMC, the only result that came up with was this post for some reason…

I navigated to a 250 SC tonight, SOC at 50%, 54f out, actually got better speed at 35kw peak and settled in at 23kw for the next 30 min…
went into service mode again After and saw the same 3 alerts…
I have one more day with this car before I have to make a decision…think any service center will take a look now that i have some error codes?
(can’t make apt since I don’t have mobile app access….)

thanks for all the help!