Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need suggestions for all season tire and wheel setup for model 3 performance model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P came with 20” summer setup. We use as our mountain/ski car so am thinking an 18 or 19” wheel with a higher sidewalk but narrower profile may be more durable/better traction. (Tesla mechanic says 18” won’t fit performance brake calipers.) Anyone have some wisdom or experience to share for a recommended setup?

Thanks!

The Tesla 18 inch wheels will not fit.
Third party ones fit plenty.

I went with 19 to balance looks with practicality.
1CEA551D-1F83-4817-BA5E-3CC58747B736.jpeg
570C5655-5AF2-4C46-BC49-66593057D6AE.jpeg
8FE0380C-2E11-4565-88FD-8AFC604235FC.jpeg

Those are 19 inch Michelin A/S 3+ wrapped around forged Signature Wheel SV501s.

Reactions: SignatureSales
I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ all-seasons mounted on the factory 20 in rim. Little to no difference in sound and ride, sidewall appears to be slightly taller but could be an illusion. Have had 1 snowfall so far, handled it great. Pic shows new tires mounted.
Tires_1.jpg

I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ all-seasons mounted on the factory 20 in rim. Little to no difference in sound and ride, sidewall appears to be slightly taller but could be an illusion. Have had 1 snowfall so far, handled it great. Pic shows new tires mounted.
Tires_1.jpg
Thank you. I am thinking of hitting the simple button and was thinking about the Michelins. Very helpful.

Don’t want to go crazy but plan on keeping the car for a long time, so not cheap.
I have built the cheapest All Season set I could and it was $1100 all in and shipped at Discount Tire. So if you want a "nice" set you are looking at $2200+. I am banking on keeping them on for 4 months a year, so i didnt want to to go crazy or put a nice set on.

Honestly we need a dedicated thread for aftermarket wheels especially for the P3D+. Mine got moved to winter driving and was buried. I got the following from discount tire - mounted, TPMS, balanced, and shipped for just under $1100 (plus a $45 discount on a tire price match with WalMart). Granted they are 20” wheels which isn’t preferred for the winter, but just wanted an All Season tire for the cold rather than needing an aggressive snow tire. Deep snow is why I have a Jeep CJ-7.
A450B9D7-1F61-4CD7-8903-91D27E9FB881.jpeg

Your car looks amazing! I went with white but seeing the red, oh man. Did you notice much of a ride difference? Thanks.
I do think it handles some of the sharper edges and cracks on the road better. And am less afraid of wheel damage with the slightly taller sidewall.
And as far as “dynamic” driving, I have not found it to be lacking in grip (wider thread at 245, but all-season compound). I am not an absolute maniac on public roads so YMMV.

Disagree. I've been happy with Continental DWS 06 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I don't drive on glaciers, and I don't expect the tires to behave well in such conditions; but in the PNW weather they've been great.

As long as you're comfortable with needing more distance to stop than someone with the same car and summer tires in summer or winter tires in winter and the consequences of that longer stopping distance… cool I guess? As someone who's been rear-ended twice in snow by people without winter tires sliding into me, I admit a certain level of bias.

I'm planning on getting the Michelin CrossClimate+ on 18s for my P3D+. I live in the PNW where there is snow on occasion, but its mostly rain and cold weather. If I were living in a place where there was snow on the ground for 2+ months out of the year I would get a 2nd set of wheels for winter tires.

As for the CrossClimate+, all the reviews and tests I've seen have shown it has 95% of a summer tire's stopping/handling and as good or better snow/ice than other all-seasons (and better than some winters). Plus a 600 wear rating and 98Y load and speed. They almost seem too good to be true.

Went through the same decision recently. Decided on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as well since I just mounted to my existing 20inch wheels. They handle fantastic and I notice very little different from the summers previously. I will say they are louder, quite a bit in my case but not in any way too loud to be comfortable, I'm just sensitive to it.

That said, if I did 19inch wheels I was really likely to go with the new Vredestein Quatrac Pro. They looks impressive and should provide you much improved ice/snow over traditional all-seasons if GT's softer ride/handling is ok with you. Might check a few reviews.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro

Reactions: KenC