Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Three More JdeMO Orders--Can We Count on You?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did email about 10 days ago... no reply. I hope it's still happening...

As far as I know it's still happening. Last I heard from Tony he said this:

We are moving our shop, and won’t reopen until Dec 1, 2020. We have already received the usual long lead time parts, but we need to do some additional design work on the license plate mount. We are doing that now. Actually, I just got a new computer that is devoted to Solid Works design software.

Realistically, I did not originally plan to be shut down while we moved, and that is likely going to delay the Roadster JdeMO™ project some.
I play to email him in early January after the holidays. I encourage others to do the same.

Joe

Reactions: drewski
What ever became of this group buy?

Many of us made a deposit. We have yet to see any of them produced from QC Charge, however. Tony Williams, the owner of QC Charge, has been reluctant to return emails or talk with People. A number of us made repeated calls and emails that has yet to produce a single JdeMO. A this point, I simply cannot recommend buying anything from QC Charge. They are simply unreliable.

We remain hopeful that Tony will get his act together and produce the units. If he does not, our only recourse will be legal action to get our $1,000 deposits back.

It's an unfortunate situation.

Now that Elon has said Tesla will allow other manufacturers' cars to use the Superchargers, that means it should be possible to design a variant of the JDemo that works with the Superchargers. That might have broader appeal.

That is, unless the way that other vehicles would be enabled to connect to the Supercharger would only be through some CCS and CHAdeMO adapters that Tesla makes and controls with proprietary functions.

Now that Elon has said Tesla will allow other manufacturers' cars to use the Superchargers, that means it should be possible to design a variant of the JDemo that works with the Superchargers. That might have broader appeal.

That is, unless the way that other vehicles would be enabled to connect to the Supercharger would only be through some CCS and CHAdeMO adapters that Tesla makes and controls with proprietary functions.
Or, I wonder if it would be easier (non-invasive and more broadly useful) to create a 240v 70+ amp (16.8kw) DC-AC inverter, and use the Roadster (and early Model-S) ability to charge quickly from high current AC. The trick, I think, would be to make it fit in the trunk...

Or, I wonder if it would be easier (non-invasive and more broadly useful) to create a 240v 70+ amp (16.8kw) DC-AC inverter, and use the Roadster (and early Model-S) ability to charge quickly from high current AC. The trick, I think, would be to make it fit in the trunk...
This idea has been explored and may still have potential. A guy in Austria has already done this at 11 kW. He was rectifying 3-ph AC and then inverting it to single phase AC. This is really useful in Europe because most charging stations are 3-phase and the Roadster can only use one of them. Andreas' device fits neatly in the rectangular well in the bottom of the trunk. He takes it out to use it because it has to dissipate a lot of heat. I've seen him charging at 46 amps from a 3-phase 16A charging station while the other Roadsters could only charge at 16A. Scaling it up to 17kW and a single DC source might be tricky. Would it still fit in the trunk? Too bulky and heavy to be practical? I don't know.

This idea has been explored and may still have potential. A guy in Austria has already done this at 11 kW. He was rectifying 3-ph AC and then inverting it to single phase AC. This is really useful in Europe because most charging stations are 3-phase and the Roadster can only use one of them. Andreas' device fits neatly in the rectangular well in the bottom of the trunk. He takes it out to use it because it has to dissipate a lot of heat. I've seen him charging at 46 amps from a 3-phase 16A charging station while the other Roadsters could only charge at 16A. Scaling it up to 17kW and a single DC source might be tricky. Would it still fit in the trunk? Too bulky and heavy to be practical? I don't know.
11kw is a whole lot better than, what, 6-ish from a Level 2 charger? I'm guessing the rectified 3-phase must have been upwards of 250vdc, no? Whatever it is, if a DC fast charging station could match the input voltage of the inverter, the mash-up should be pretty reasonable, once the billing handshake gets worked out. All the charge regulation is handled by the car, so the pilot should be simply "give me X volts" or such, presuming that voltage is the independent variable in the handshake.

Beyond the higher power, I'm guessing that over time the number of Level-2 chargers will become harder to find (in working order, at least) along major travel routes, in favor of high speed DC. This would also give access to charging in those areas.

Many of us made a deposit. We have yet to see any of them produced from QC Charge, however. Tony Williams, the owner of QC Charge, has been reluctant to return emails or talk with People. A number of us made repeated calls and emails that has yet to produce a single JdeMO. A this point, I simply cannot recommend buying anything from QC Charge. They are simply unreliable.

We remain hopeful that Tony will get his act together and produce the units. If he does not, our only recourse will be legal action to get our $1,000 deposits back.

It's an unfortunate situation.
Well I have a Roadster now...so if he does start producing them again contact me.

Reactions: drewski