TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Need to be a US-Citizen to get Loan Approved from CU's?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JeanKam, May 1, 2018.

1. JeanKam

JeanKam Member

Folks, i had strange experience with a Credit union regarding eligibility and i was told its the same with all Credit Unions.

Does one need to be a US-Citizen to get approved for Auto-loan from CU's ? (i'm on my work visa waiting for GC. Configured 3 on 4/13 hoping to get it delivered within next 4-5 weeks)

2. tpatana

tpatana Member

I have auto loan from CU and I'm not citizen.

3. arcus

arcus Active Member

Citizen - no, but not sure if work visa is sufficient.

4. Lipsyte

Lipsyte Member

Citizen : no.
    I guess some CU might need you to have a legal status that cover the length of the loan ?

5. JeanKam

JeanKam Member

i have a CU which wants loan tenure to be remainder of VISA and another one doesn't want to work with VISA holder.

6. bthienthai

bthienthai Member

If you don't have a SSN, it would be a problem. If you have one, I don't see why it can't be approved.

7. JeanKam

JeanKam Member

Yes i have an SSN been here in US since 2006.. i have a 30 yr mortgage with a bank too...

8. bthienthai

bthienthai Member

That's strange. You can get 30year mortgage, but can't get a 5year loan on a car. I say screw them and go somewhere else. I've had bad experience with CU too. They're very beurocratic and arrogant. I have a stellar FICO score of 820, and have credit card limit of up to 30k from other banks. Yet, they denied my credit card application. Go figure :)

9. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I'm not a citizen either but I do have a SSN. I think Logix Federal Credit Union allows loans as long as you have either a SSN or a TIN.

10. scrapps

scrapps Member

Permanent resident here and never had an issue with any loan through CU or not.