TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Need to borrow (or buy) a 110v charging cable for one night in the illinois area....

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by chris22104, Feb 28, 2012.

1. chris22104

chris22104 Member

#1 chris22104, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
    Hi Guys!
    I'm going to Illinois next week to look at a roadster. The car currently shows 9 miles of usable range on the dash, and has no charging cables with it whatsoever. The seller agreed to let me plug it in to see if it charges, if I can bring the proper 110v cable. Is there anyone in the illinois area, (or even on the way for me coming from Buffalo, N.Y.) that would have one I could use for a night? Or even one for sale that I could buy on the cheap and receive, by this coming week? PM me! Thanks guys!
    Chris
    PS: Is there anything else I should know regarding it taking a charge? Obviously, I wouldn't be able to charge it for more than a few hours, but assuming it starts to charge properly, does this mean the battery is good? Or might it only take a partial charge or the like?

2. Tommy

Tommy Member

Chris, you might want to give the seller of the Roadster a heads up in regards to keeping the Roadster plugged in. At the very least have him contact Tesla, I can almost guarantee Tesla will make it very clear in no uncertain terms the need to charge the Roadster. Leaving it with only 9 miles remaining I think is inviting disaster to happen.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Good advice from Tommy. Don't think about that, do it. Otherwise you might be wasting your time even going there.

P.S. How does someone come to own a Tesla without any charging cables??

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree with everyone. The car might be in trouble. E-mail or call the guy tonight and tell him he needs to get it plugged in immediately.

5. 3lectronica

3lectronica Member

Where is the Roadster you are looking at located? Is it listed for sale online somewhere?

6. hjr

hjr #1291

I would suggest getting the car# or VIN and calling a Tesla Ranger. They can beam into the car if the GPS is on and tell you alot about the car's recent activity dn charging history. Call any Tesla store and they can do this for you.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Is it stolen?? Why wouldn't he have a charging cable? That seems quite odd to me. Like saying you have a car for sale, but no key.

8. dsm363

Would Tesla do this if you weren't the owner of the car? That doesn't seem right.

9. chris22104

chris22104 Member

The car is at auction; hence no cable. I either need to borrow one, or buy one and receive it fast! (by Monday.) I talked with a Tesla rep and he said nobody is stocking the cords, and that it would have to be ordered. But time is a big problem! Anyone have a used one for sale that I can get quickly? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

10. dsm363

Are you near Chicago? Have them deliver it by flatbed to the Telsa service center to charge after checking with Tesla first. Tell them that if they don't charge it soon, they may ruin the battery then it will be worth almost nothing at auction.

11. strider

strider Active Member

Well, I would tell the owner you are going to ask Tesla to do this and then have Tesla call the owner to confirm that it's ok. Otherwise you could have him pull the logs and send them to you and use some of the parsing tools available to figure out if it's been abused.

12. Chances are Tesla will not support a salvaged roadster...

13. dsm363

I would probably just stay away from this Roadster. There seem to be plenty on the market that are much better taken care of than that one.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

15. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

16. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Btw. That battery is going to be a brick by the time the auction is over unless it get plugged in like, NOW!

17. dsm363

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#19 NigelM, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  19. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

"Fault"