Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to buy a car before February 1st. Hoping to get your help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My name is John and today is my first day looking into buying a Tesla.

I will be moving into a regional manager role February 1st and it will involve some travel.

The person in this role now tells me that he puts in about 40k miles per year.

I will get an allowance for a vehicle but have to use my own car.

The allowance is $400 per month ($200 bi-weekly). Additionally I will receive mileage pay which he says comes out to about an additional $400 per month. That however would cover gas, any maintenance and tires etc.

My thinking is that if I get a Tesla - I won't have to spend gas and therefore can save or use that savings to pay for the Tesla as I am sure it would be more than $400 per month.

Since I am on a bit of a short time frame (1 month or less), I am hoping that this community can help point me in the right direction and help limit the learning curve.

What I am looking for specifically is...

-A good read that can give me an overview of anything you think I should know when selecting a car. EX: Things to consider etc.
-Feature overview. What the different model numbers mean, what features are Must haves and which are not (I do realize this will depend on me to an extend, but I would like to get the community's opinion.
-I am looking to buy used so any pros/cons here.

-I would like an S model. I will potentially also get an X model later this year for my wife she drives a truck now and spend about $60 per week on gas.
-I read somewhere that 2015 modes and higher are best - any truth to that?

I am looking forward to being apart of this forum and contributing in any way I can.

Best,

-John

If you find a used MS you like and have all your ducks in a row you can be driving it by next Friday.
Check out ev-cpo.com to search for cars according to your criteria, then go on Tesla's website and place the deposit. They'll send you pictures of the car which will highlight any cosmetic damage the car may have.
Tesla will not let you test drive a used vehicle, but I promise you won't need it.
If you look for a 2015 or newer with less than 50k miles you'll get a 4 year 50k mile warranty starting the day you drive off the lot.
I got my P85D used from Tesla and ibcouI cou be happier.

...What the different model numbers mean...

It depends on what you want.

I bought Model X because I could afford it even though it is the most expensive among the 3 current Models. I like its cargo capacity, Falcon Wing Doors and automatic driver door opening / closing (so cool when my hands are all full).

I bought Model S because Model X wasn't born but it's still cool as the second most expensive among the 3 models.

I bought Mocel 3 because it's the least expensive among 3 models. I just like its price and that's about it.

...Things to consider etc...

1) Range is King! Get the highest range if you can.

2) Autopilot / Full-Self Driving: Great driving tool as long as you know how to use it and don't get killed. Full-Self Driving is not working yet, but if you pay now, hopefully Tesla will let you experience the releases of its functions in little increments soon.

3) Charging structure: Best if you can charge at home. When you are away from home, where can you charge?

...2015 modes and higher are best - any truth to that?

It's just like a cell phone, the latest technology will be taken by another one soon in near future, not just 2015.

2015 has Autopilot Hardware 1 (AP1). October 2016 has AP2. 2017 has AP2.5, 2019 will have AP3...

...used...

If you get used from Tesla, it offers 1 of 2 of warranty depend on how old is the car:

50,000 miles or 4 years whichever first in addition to what the used car has on it.

or

100,000 miles or 2 years whichever first. The miles is the actual odometer miles and not like the above "in addition to".

If you don't care about the above warranty, you can get it from a used car non-Tesla shop. You still get standard warranty for actual 50,000 miles or 4 years on the car (not in addition to what the car has been).

If you get from private party, the stand warranty still holds but you can ask to pay the owner additionally for extended warranty and transfer that to you.

I am hesitant to buy used because how do I know it's a lemon?

Good luck!

If you're driving THAT much (an average of over 100 miles every day), you may benefit greatly from the extra efficiency (thus range per kWh) of the Model 3. I own a P85 Model S without AutoPilot and a new Model 3 Mid Range with Enhanced AutoPilot. Both Teslas are amazing, but enjoyable for different reasons. If I were driving over 100 miles per day, I'd definitely lean toward my 3 (goes 4-5 miles per kWh, vs the P85 S that only gets 2-3 miles per kWh). Also, the 3 is more nimble and easier to park (midsize, vs full-size S). There's also a surprising amount of headroom with the 3 due to the panoramic roof. And a new 3 likely cheaper than a used, late model S with AutoPilot and similar options. Not that you wouldn't love an S (I do, too), but I'd recommend considering a 3. If you use a referral code, and have not test driven a 3, you also get 9 months of free Supercharging (so you'll save that 2nd $400 to put toward your monthly Tesla payment) :D Just some food for thought. Oh, and Tesla just lowered the price of all new Teslas by $2k effective yesterday. And they have a bunch of new inventory at most locations from which to choose for an immediate pickup! Good luck with your decision; you'll be happy with any Tesla, IMHO.

Why is the size of the 3 a deal breaker. It's not a small car, it's got huge amount of trunk space.

But on a different note. If you have the option to just claim standard IRS mileage, that looks to be much more attractive. At about $0.50/mi, that's $20k per year as opposed to the $10k that your numbers indicate. Remember, at 40kmiles per year, you will be replacing tires yearly and warranties disappear quickly. It's going to also impact your insurance (don't forget to tell the insurance company that you are using it for business, rates will probably go up)

Also, yo need to look at the locations that t you are going to and see what the current charging infrastructure looks like. Plants in the middle of nowhere can be an issue. Of course if you can talk them into a NEMA 14-50 at each site, that may help.

3) Charging structure: Best if you can charge at home. When you are away from home, where can you charge?
I will second that advise. Even if you have to dig a little deeper. I'd set up at least a 30a 240v system in your garage and plan for having a mileage of double what your daily longest travel is. We are in New England and winter mileage I am guessing is 1/2 what summer would be. In other words if you drive 150 miles/day get a battery capable of 300 miles/charge. The major argument against EV is you can't walk to the nearest gas station.