Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

need to charge every night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 MX90D, AP1, about 3000 miles. When I first got it, every time after an overnight charge I got 232-234 miles. Now it is about 229 miles. Is there anything of issues here? Thanks in advance
1. Check with Ideal Miles, not Rated Miles, as Tesla messes with the Rated algorithm a lot. Ideal appears to be consistent.
2. What are you charging to? 90% (full daily charge) seems to keep the numbers up better than lower settings.
3. The battery balancing circuits start at 93%, so occasionally charge to that level. Once activated, the battery will continue to balance regardless of the charge setting.

i am in the ny long island area. temp could be freezing sometimes. is it better to.keep the plug in and charge the car at.night even though its got.plenty of.miles left?

Keep it plugged in. Tesla recommends it, it doesn't hurt the car. Also if it's your first EV, congrats. You'll realize quickly that it's better to have as many miles as possible when starting out. You might only need 50mi/day, but the day you end up needing 100mi, you'll be much happier you charged to full last night instead of in the parking lot somewhere waiting for your charge.

3. The battery balancing circuits start at 93%, so occasionally charge to that level. Once activated, the battery will continue to balance regardless of the charge setting.

I thought it was always balancing? Are you saying it only balances when you charge above 93%?

I thought it was always balancing? Are you saying it only balances when you charge above 93%?
According to the investigation done by member WK057, the balancing circuits engage when charging reaches 93%. Once activated they continue to balance until the balancing cycle is completed regardless of subsequent charging level. (Balancing may take several days to complete.)

Does charging every night hurt the battery? What does everybody charge to each night? 80 or 90%?
A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. Tesla's recommendation is to plug in when possible. 90% is a good level, and appears to be the one that shows the least amount of unbalance. But really, you don't need to overthink this. Just plug it in every night--just like your iPhone.

A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. Tesla's recommendation is to plug in when possible. 90% is a good level, and appears to be the one that shows the least amount of unbalance. But really, you don't need to overthink this. Just plug it in every night--just like your iPhone.

I use a Samsung. Don't know what you're talking about!