Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to Charge--Williamsburg, VA... Anyone around?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here this weekend for homecoming at William and Mary, been coming for years with no problem but this year the public chargers I always use all seam to be broken awaiting replacement... no luck thus far even using 120 at the hotel. they have a few outlets but of course are wired wrong so it pops the GFI whenever I plug in to them. have just barely enough to get to the super charger up in Richmond...

was hoping maybe there would be someone on the forum here that would let me stop by to charge up tomorrow so we can easily make it home Sunday. if there is please shoot me a text of give me a call at 609-230-6231.

thanks!!

I would suggest that you download PlugShare app as good starting point and find one with very good ratings.
In order to charge at Kingsmill (I got them started in 2013 with (5) 14-50s and then guided them through the temporary charging needs for our 2016 180-person East Coast Event) you will need to be a resort guest and the same applies for the DoubleTree Hilton (I would kindly ask them if you can charge while you dine there). There is at least one owner listed on PlugShare who has offered to help in the past. You may also consider one a the few campgrounds in Williamsburg. Called and left a voicemail on your cell just now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jthompson and Lanny
Check PlugShare. I have my home charger listed on there and have helped a couple people out over the years. I did a quick search and looks like there are quite a few options in the Williamsburg area.

upload_2018-10-19_22-52-11.png

• Informative
Reactions: jthompson
Thanks all for the info, tried the usual spots on PlugShare. The public garage and Williamsburg lodge ones are broken...

Plan tomorrow is to drop off the family and then go out to the destination charger at the new quarter park and hope I can get an Uber back to town.

A friend of ours also lives in Kingsmill and is listed on PlugShare with a 14-50.
If it is still super tight, you may consider chillin' on rt. 60 at 50 mph to increase your range instead of 64.
There are a pair of 5-20s at the rest stop on 64.

Good-luck!

Reactions: Xenius
So all is well! I lucked out and got over to Williamsburg lodge yesterday just as someone was finishing up charging at the one J1772 charger that I could find that was working in town, got a full charge while attending the William & Mary football game and homecoming which we won!! Go Tribe! Thank you all for the suggestions and help!

I hope Tesla keeps going with the destination charger program, now with all the Model 3s on the road, I think that part of the program needs to be expanded on. The superchargers are awesome but it can be sometimes a pain to get somewhere and then not have the "around town" extra range to explore an area and then head back home...

Glad it worked out for you, was away most of the weekend but my folks have a NEMA 14-50 and are in Fords Colony, I'm sure they would have been happy to help you out. They barely pay anything for electric on the weekends with their time of use billing.

The park had a nice setup, the chargers looked to be in good working order. If you do go to charge there, be on the lookout for deer, I saw 4 run across the road as I was walking while charging.
There's one HUGE caveat to this park: During the winter months (Nov-March) the section of the park where the chargers are located is ONLY open on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. I was in the area last week and was running low on charge. I'm hoping more destination charging locations are added around Williamsburg to make up for this. I charged at the parking deck (they are working, yay!) but the charge rate was pretty slow: only about 15 mi/hour. I was able to squeeze about 40 extra miles of charge overnight on an exterior outlet at the Holiday Inn Express over near Great Wolf Lodge (the staff were super friendly and accommodating). I've added those outlets to PlugShare, FWIW.