Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to decide - Sell me the 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a BMW 320D Efficient Dynamics and the lease finishes mid January 2016 so I need to order my Tesla shortly. I will be getting a lease car again and I will be keeping this Tesla for 5 years, this is the best deal I have found:

Tesla Model S Hatchback 70KWH Dual Motor 5DR [Nav] Car Personal Lease

I really wanted the 85D but with insurance it would make it a stretch but the 70D is comfortably affordable. I know its crazy and happy to be flamed but feel like I am settling for a bottom of the range car and I keep telling myself off for it. I don't do more than 150 miles in a day for 95% of the time and its usually around 80-100 miles and sometimes nothing as I work from home. There are no superchargers on my daily route but there is a couple of CHAdeMO fast charge units I could probably take advantage of once a week or so and I will get the adapter. I will get a home charger as well and move to economy 7 electric for daily night time top ups.

We go on holiday to Cornwall and France 2 or 3 times a year and the routes we take do have superchargers on them. A couple of the superchargers are 150-200 miles in-between chargers. How much charge does a supercharger give in a 70D for a 45-60 minute lunch stop? Is that a safe distance? Have you ever got to a supercharger and its not working?

Will get the base spec and toying with adding the premium interior pack for the power tail gate and the sound pack. Not bothered about auto pilot or next gen seats.

Like I have said I am crazy as its such a big jump from my BMW 320, I tested the 0-60 in my BMW and it was 11 seconds! The 70D is twice as fast. It just feels like I am getting a 16Gb iPhone and and not a 64Gb one.

Come on and tell me off :tongue: and sell the 70D to me :biggrin:

Last edited:
You drive a 320ED and you are worried you're getting a base spec car?

5 year lease on a tesla is far too long if you ask me. It will be a comparative dinosaur by then (for a EV). You'll look at all the new ones with who knows what advantages they will have - maybe faster charging, longer range etc and be locked in with what you have. They haven't been around long enough but there are plenty of owners who are trading up after less than a year. I'm sure there are plenty who aren't too, but would they keep the car for 5 years?

As for charging, rapid chargers etc the position will only improve. How much charge you'll get into a 70 depends on what level of charge it has when you start but I think a super charger can deliver over 100 miles in an hour.

Summary: it's a wise move but only if you look nearer 3 years than 5. If you're looking to save money against a 320ED I think you will struggle, you'd be better off with an i3

I could probably stretch to 4 years but 3 would be too much. Your spot on tho, coming from a 320D is going to be immense lol. 100 miles charge in an hour would make some trips quite long! I would start a long trip with full charge from home.

We go on holiday to Cornwall and France 2 or 3 times a year and the routes we take do have superchargers on them. A couple of the superchargers are 150-200 miles in-between chargers. How much charge does a supercharger give in a 70D for a 45-60 minute lunch stop? Is that a safe distance? Have you ever got to a supercharger and its not working?

1. The amount of charge an SC gives in a given time period depends on the state of charge when you start charging. However, it would take a bit under an hour to go from 0% to 100% in a 70 (I have an 85 and it takes almost exactly one hour). The last 20% would take up about half the time.

2. When you travel, occasionally look at the trip tab under the energy graph display. This will tell you if you need to adjust your speed.

3. In something like 18K Supercharger km, I've had two instances of a single stall not working. I just moved to a working stall.

My opinion is that you might as well buy a gas car as an i3 because on trips you'll be using gas anyway. If those trips consist of the majority of your driving distance, there won't be any particular benefit. A hybrid, such as the i3, has all the problems of both EVs and gas cars.

Thanks. I would typically arrive at a supercharger with 50-60 miles left if I set off with 220 miles according to Goole Maps. So 40 minutes should return it back to 210-220 by the looks of things. That would be perfect.

Yep - my mistake - its over 100 in 30 mins not an hour, they claim up to 170 miles which I'd play down a little as conditions need to be right. Take a look at the supercharger page on the tesla web site..

The range of the car depends how you drive. From what I've read people can/often average circa 300/mile, and you rarely charge to 100% so my man maths says a 70, charged to 63 (90%) would give you a little over 200 mile usable range before you get twitchy you'll run out. All that means is it might take another 10min. I order a 90 as I regularly do 250 miles in a day and I need the maximum range I can get for the days when I either need to divert somewhere or haven't the time for a top up.

1. The amount of charge an SC gives in a given time period depends on the state of charge when you start charging. However, it would take a bit under an hour to go from 0% to 100% in a 70 (I have an 85 and it takes almost exactly one hour). The last 20% would take up about half the time.

2. When you travel, occasionally look at the trip tab under the energy graph display. This will tell you if you need to adjust your speed.

3. In something like 18K Supercharger km, I've had two instances of a single stall not working. I just moved to a working stall.

My opinion is that you might as well buy a gas car as an i3 because on trips you'll be using gas anyway. If those trips consist of the majority of your driving distance, there won't be any particular benefit. A hybrid, such as the i3, has all the problems of both EVs and gas cars.

1. I thought it takes the same amount of time to charge the same percent (I.e. 0%-100%), you just get more range out of the 85?

As far as the charge time goes, it varies a bit depending on temp and state of charge when you start. Some good real world comparisons of 85 and 70 can be found here.
Supercharging Tesla Model S 70 85 kWh - Video Comparison

Another thing to keep in mind is the range will be less in the middle of winter compared to summer. After 5 years you will see a bit less range than when the car is new also something to think about. I would hold off and save for an 85, but thats just me. I would also take a base 85 over a loaded up 70, but lots of people here will take the opposite view on that one.

5 year lease on a tesla is far too long if you ask me. It will be a comparative dinosaur by then (for a EV). You'll look at all the new ones with who knows what advantages they will have - maybe faster charging, longer range etc and be locked in with what you have. They haven't been around long enough but there are plenty of owners who are trading up after less than a year. I'm sure there are plenty who aren't too, but would they keep the car for 5 years?
I consider my Dec 2013 build my "permanent" car. Well, mostly because I can't afford another one unless TSLA hits about $700, and I sure won't ever buy an ICE ever again. But seriously, the car is so much fun and relaxing to drive it really doesn't matter to me that I don't have the latest and greatest (e.g. TACC). The small reduction in range I'll be getting over the next 10-15 years will be offset by increased supercharger saturation, and advancing age (of me...not the car!) making long road trips maybe less likely, maybe not. And moving towards 2 years of ownership, every month I feel better and better about having done (doing) my tiny part to help Tesla save the planet. Especially with the VW news breaking last week.

Thanks. I would typically arrive at a supercharger with 50-60 miles left if I set off with 220 miles according to Goole Maps. So 40 minutes should return it back to 210-220 by the looks of things. That would be perfect.

Be careful of those range numbers. 70D is rated 240 miles EPA, which is sort of realistic, but most people report somewhat less than EPA range. Rain, snow, headwinds, etc. all take a range toll, so experienced users figure a 20% range cushion in their trip planning. You don't want to charge to 100% very often as that will diminish battery life, so assume you start with 90% and arrive with at least 10%, then you can expect use the middle 80% of battery capacity; 192 miles in good weather on fairly flat roads.

I would charge to 90% for about 49 weeks of the year but on road trips I would need to charge to 100% for the other 2 or 3 weeks. Is that acceptable?

Going from 90-100% is almost going to double the time you spend at the SC as well. Unless you NEED the range to get to a charger it will be much faster hitting up a Chademo for 15m or slightly altering the route if you could.

Remember, the current SCers will about double into the 2016 year and maybe more after that.

I have a 70D, and I bought it as I drive too much for a lease in the US (I've had it for a little over 3 months, and have put 10,000 miles on it). I plan on keeping the car for at least 4 years if not longer. If you're okay with having the car around a while, and don't really have to have the newest features on a car, I'd say go ahead and get it!