TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Need to decide: Silver or Gray?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ghost640, May 22, 2014.

1. ghost640

ghost640 Member

#1 ghost640, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    So I have a silver on order, but was originally thinking about gray, and now am back to considering gray. The pictures I see show a wide range of colors, and it changes by model. For those of you that actually have these, can you give me a sense of

How light is the silver? How dark is the gray?

In the photos I've seen, the silver looks pretty light, leading to a sharp contrast with the black pano roof and nose cone - maybe too much contrast? I originally thought gray would be too dark (with pano and black textile interior), but some pictures make it look much lighter. If so, that might be a neat stealthy and kind of understated look.

Opinions welcome, I just have a couple days till the build!

2. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

The silver is *very* light, almost looks white in the sun. Have you seen these videos of the various colors, from back in the day?

Tesla Model S Colors on the Road - YouTube

This used to be all we had to assess color, before anybody actually owned the vehicles!

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Dark wheels - if the 21" wheels are in the reckoning for you - make both silver or gray look cool. The standard silver 19" wheels make the silver or gray look a bit bland.

4. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

5. wstuff

wstuff Junior Member

I understand your DELIMA ghost, I too was in the same place, SILVER OR GRAY, GREY OR SILVER, I got blue.

6. Chris

Chris Member

#6 Chris, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    As already mentioned, the silver is very bright. I went with it and IMHO it looks great, especially with dark rims. I considered the grey but it looked too dull to me if there is no direct light on it. Either way you will be happy ;-)

7. nakedsushi

nakedsushi Member

I love the gray. It looks like a blueish silver in the sun and a dark gray at night. Very different than other gray cars, but nice and subtle.

8. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Um not my choice of colors but i guess silver? Would look good with dark rims. Those 19" TSportline turbines are awesome, would get those.

9. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I struggled between silver and grey too, and ultimately went with grey, and I have no regrets.

10. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Green, Grey and Silver were my top three choices. Grey is more beautiful in sunlight and motion than you might imagine, exhibiting sea shades of blue and green. Silver may be the best color for hiding dirt, and lowering maintenance. Green is gorgeous, especially when she sparkles emerald in the sun, but is a beast to keep clean. Fortunately cleaning and polishing Tess is a labor of love for me!

Fear not, you are in a "cannot lose" situation with Grey or Silver.

11. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Grey. Silver is the ugliest color on the MS (IMO) such an "outdated" color. Grey looks great.

12. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Gray it is!

Or maybe it is - I called my DS today and asked her about changing the color, she's checking into it but I haven't heard back yet. Gray was our original choice, but I switched to silver on Confirm day, been kinda going back and forth ever since... But gray just kind of has that "what was that?" mystery about it, I like that.

13. Benjamin Brooks

14. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Blue is awesome. I walked out of a restaurant in Madison last weekend, and there in the dark was a blue Tesla with the license plate "Disrupt". Sent chills down my spine.

15. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Would have gone with grey, but my last car was grey. Went with blue.

16. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    Silver looks great on the Model S, we went with dolphin gray on ours. Looks great in all types of lights. Choosing is so tuff, maybe some new pics will help :)
    IMG_1928benedit_BP_zps35f06397.jpg IMG_2143benedit_BP_zps8fa91edf.jpg

17. paulkva

paulkva Member

I respectfully disagree with yobigd20 on this matter. :) I'm quite happy with my silver Model S, and in fact ended up in the same situation as ghost640 -- I was convinced I'd be getting a grey car, until the day I placed the order, where I switched to silver at the last minute.

I have no regrets whatsoever, and I really do like the low-maintenance / dirt-hiding aspects of the silver. But in hindsight I think I'd have been equally happy with the grey, so I fall into the "there is no bad choice here" school of thought.

Edit to add: for what it's worth, grey is significantly more popular than silver, at least from my own observation and from what I've seen on the forums.

18. beegee

beegee Member

Silver- but I am a bit biased

19. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I love the gray. I think it's very shark-like.

20. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I love my brown Tesla, but I hadn't seen good pix of grey till after I confirmed. Tesla's grey can be quite the chameleon; I like that, so if I were doing it again, I'd seriously consider grey.

So I feel you're making the right choice between silver and grey, by trying to switch back to grey. ;-)