Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to drive at 131% efficiency to achieve advertised range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an SR+. When I got it a year ago, my rated range at 100% was 381 km. I sometimes have 400+ km days. There is one Supercharger location between home and my destination.

My rated range at 100% a year later is only 355 km. Of course, actual range is less than that in the rain, ice, snow, wind, and with elevation changes. That makes the drives much more challenging. If there were five, four or even three SuperCharger locations on my drive, I would be much less concerned.

I would still be unhappy about a 7% drop of range in a year, but I would be less concerned. (I have never had an ICE vehicle lose 7% of range in the first year of ownership.)

Don’t get me wrong, my Tesla is still among my favourite vehicles to have owned.
Rated range reduction should be much less from here onwards. Its a lot more in first 6 months I hear.

I am a year and a half and 20k into my sr+ started at 385 max now at 378

I have managed 370 km from Ottawa to Algonquin park 80km hr (speed limit) and it is uphill...

I have done 325 on the highway at 110 so no complaints

My 1st gen Leaf was 160 range and max 80 on the highway . 120 around town so this car is unbelievable

ice cars get best mileage highway, EV’s are slow speed with regen.

Reactions: cdswm3
Someone let me know if I’m off on this.
Left my house at 69% today. Drive 54km to my office in one drive. Arrived with 55% left on the battery. Had regen dots the entire time btw.

That means 14% equals 54kms. It also means 1% equals 3.85kms. Multiply that by 100 and 100% equals 385kms. The advertised range of the car.

Stats app shows my drive was 131% of efficiency. My car never ever shows anything over 357kms as the 100% rated range. I’ve been driving efficiently for months now and it stays there. It’s seems a bit much that you’d need 131% efficiency to achieve the advertised range.
At a minimum I think you need to drive both ways as elevation and head/tail winds make a difference. Also range is always worse for me on short trips. And yours was short in my book

Similar to how it's almost impossible to achieve posted fuel consumption on ICE vehicles. It usually assumes ideal conditions.
No, but it does assume a very specific set of conditions.
In my former Model 3, I typically beat the stated range. Winter fell short.
Different conditions different results.

Here is an article about how the EPA in the US tests vehicles. Each country/region has their own methods of course, but this gives a good general concept.

How EPA Fuel-Economy Testing Works

I have an SR+. When I got it a year ago, my rated range at 100% was 381 km. I sometimes have 400+ km days. There is one Supercharger location between home and my destination.

My rated range at 100% a year later is only 355 km. Of course, actual range is less than that in the rain, ice, snow, wind, and with elevation changes. That makes the drives much more challenging. If there were five, four or even three SuperCharger locations on my drive, I would be much less concerned.

I would still be unhappy about a 7% drop of range in a year, but I would be less concerned. (I have never had an ICE vehicle lose 7% of range in the first year of ownership.)

Don’t get me wrong, my Tesla is still among my favourite vehicles to have owned.
I’d love to have seen 386 even once. Day one is was in the 360s. Do you get regen dots all the time on yours? 30 Celsius, charged to 70% and I have them. Drive for half an hour and still have them.

I leave home every morning with a "full tank". That's the beauty of a home charger, even if it is slow. It's a change of viewpoint compared to the ICE drivers who look at their gauge and think "I have to fill up today or tomorrow". 110wh/km seems amazing to me. My LR/AWD has rarely done better than 150. I was getting over 500 in winter driving stop-and-go traffic. At -30C you don't want to know how fast the range goes down. I've never done percent battery, prefer est.km instead. Doing 110km cruise on highway (no aero) I get about 80% - i.e. I consume 100km to go about 80km; at -5C, cabin temp at 18, 105kph, I was getting about 1.5km consumed per km.

My advice, if you live in Canada and expect to do long-ish winter drives, get the bigger battery. For around town, or with indoor parking your battery will last better and SR+ may work for you. I park overnight in my garage, insulated but not specifically heated so rarely below 0C. OTOH, my ICE (BMW328xi) shows about a 30% difference in range between summer and winter driving; so it's not just batteries.

I

Thanks for the info. I had the LR RWD and realized it was too much battery. It always showed 499 at 100% soc though. The Sr+ from day one never has shown the advertised rated range. I guess it is a bit meaningless and I understand why that it is. Partly because the auto industry, in knowing everyone’s driving habits are different, will promote the unicorn driver and fuel economy. The range in an EV has got to be one of the first three things mentioned, listed etc. Why not say the Sr+ has 500kms of range? How about 700? What difference does it make when it’s not really ever attainable?

I think this is due to Tesla software updates and not SR+ vs LR. My LR AWD which I got in October 2018 pretty much always showed 499km*percentage SOC until some software update around last summer (2019) when it went downhill. But on Teslafi I can see I match the average for currently existing LR AWD at same mileage on odometer.