Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to select a suitable "3" trunk emblem for my 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Tesla poorly chose not to put trunk emblems on the 3. I will prove them wrong, that it looks good. My 3 will have them, I want to people to know what I have.

Getting "Model" and "75" emblems (since my 3 has the LR battery, which is proven to be around 74-76 KW capacity) is easy enough on ebay, but I'm having trouble finding a "3" emblem that looks right.

The BMW "3", like from a 335i, looks good, but it's leaned over at a slight angle, which wouldn't be right.

The Model 3 door sill plates have a 3 on them with the flat line on top of the 3, and I haven't been able to find an emblem like that so far.

The Mercedes "3" from some of their cars looks too dissimilar to the Tesla script used in their letters and numbers.

Last edited:
Wow yes, I didn't know of RPM Tesla or that they were making them, but thanks! That solves the problem! That plus a "75" from ebay, and I'm all set!:)

That guy in the demo video installed his letters at an angle, LOL. He should have based it off the flat surface of the license plate frame rather than trying to eyeball it!:eek:

I was just thinking about this over the weekend - I wanted the original "3" logo, and the font of "MODEL" to match the one used specifically on the model 3. So I fired up my 3D printer and made a set of badges. I still need to remove the supports from the prints, and then I'll put them on this weekend and see if I like it. Worst case scenario, I take them off the car and just stick it on my toolbox.:)

Model 3 Emblem.JPG

I was just thinking about this over the weekend - I wanted the original "3" logo, and the font of "MODEL" to match the one used specifically on the model 3. So I fired up my 3D printer and made a set of badges. I still need to remove the supports from the prints, and then I'll put them on this weekend and see if I like it. Worst case scenario, I take them off the car and just stick it on my toolbox.:)

View attachment 289530

I would like to caution you on sticking on 3D printed components to the exterior of your expensive car. In the heat they will definitely deform and maybe even melt, likely damaging the paint.

View attachment 289530
Curious why you printed them on supports rather than just on the print surface directly.

The 3D printer has to start from somewhere. The supports will be trimmed off later. By using supports the numbers and letters themselves should not need to be touched on the visible sides.
Right. I tend to just print straight on the print surface but with a brim to clear the print head. I use a PEI sheet on a glass bed cover so I get a very smooth first layer surface. Shiny even. It would seem that printing supports would leave you with some small nibs on the mating surface to the car. So I was just curious why you’d opt for that.