TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Need to select a suitable "3" trunk emblem for my 3.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by timk225, Mar 25, 2018.

1. timk225

timk225 Active Member

#1 timk225, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Tesla poorly chose not to put trunk emblems on the 3. I will prove them wrong, that it looks good. My 3 will have them, I want to people to know what I have.

Getting "Model" and "75" emblems (since my 3 has the LR battery, which is proven to be around 74-76 KW capacity) is easy enough on ebay, but I'm having trouble finding a "3" emblem that looks right.

The BMW "3", like from a 335i, looks good, but it's leaned over at a slight angle, which wouldn't be right.

The Model 3 door sill plates have a 3 on them with the flat line on top of the 3, and I haven't been able to find an emblem like that so far.

The Mercedes "3" from some of their cars looks too dissimilar to the Tesla script used in their letters and numbers.

2. scrapps

scrapps Member

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Wow yes, I didn't know of RPM Tesla or that they were making them, but thanks! That solves the problem! That plus a "75" from ebay, and I'm all set!:)

That guy in the demo video installed his letters at an angle, LOL. He should have based it off the flat surface of the license plate frame rather than trying to eyeball it!:eek:

4. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

I don’t know why someone would pay to ruin the symmetry of the car and make it harder to clean, but to each their own.

Glad there were no badges, saved me the time of removing them.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I don't know why someone would pay to do things to a car that I don't like or find to be just plain stupid. Tinted windows, big stereos, chrome delete / blackout, big rims, slamming cars to the ground, etc.........

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  6. SilverSnoopy

SilverSnoopy New Member

I was just thinking about this over the weekend - I wanted the original "3" logo, and the font of "MODEL" to match the one used specifically on the model 3. So I fired up my 3D printer and made a set of badges. I still need to remove the supports from the prints, and then I'll put them on this weekend and see if I like it. Worst case scenario, I take them off the car and just stick it on my toolbox.:)

Model 3 Emblem.JPG

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. ckypros

ckypros New Member

I would like to caution you on sticking on 3D printed components to the exterior of your expensive car. In the heat they will definitely deform and maybe even melt, likely damaging the paint.

8. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

ABS might work, or some more exotic filament materials, but I wouldn't bet on PLA since it's glass transition is point below 150F.

9. Point 3

Point 3 Member

Looks like the RPM Tesla emblem is no longer available.

10. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I put my "Model 3" and "75" emblems on today. It looks much better now. :)

11. Point 3

Point 3 Member

You were lucky to get them.
    Can you post some pics.

• Informative x 1
  12. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

Curious why you printed them on supports rather than just on the print surface directly.

13. timk225

timk225 Active Member

The 3D printer has to start from somewhere. The supports will be trimmed off later. By using supports the numbers and letters themselves should not need to be touched on the visible sides.

14. pandam3

pandam3 Member

DD62C2C0-21BD-4E57-B1DF-88F7E8DA20D4.jpeg D4BAB69A-8217-455A-B536-B6C57BB4A26D.jpeg DF85D043-077F-4965-B410-DC5B7598B838.jpeg DD62C2C0-21BD-4E57-B1DF-88F7E8DA20D4.jpeg D4BAB69A-8217-455A-B536-B6C57BB4A26D.jpeg

Here’s what mine look like from RPM Tesla

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
  15. Point 3

Point 3 Member

I think that looks great

16. drawfour

drawfour Member

Feels out of balance. IMO, it needs something on the lower right side to balance it out.

17. Point 3

Point 3 Member

#17 Point 3, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Simple. Find a “75” or an “LR” and put it there
    But there have been versions of the Model S with nothing on the right.

CD7ADC2E-84C3-422B-AAE0-484DCC92B7BD.jpeg

18. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

Right. I tend to just print straight on the print surface but with a brim to clear the print head. I use a PEI sheet on a glass bed cover so I get a very smooth first layer surface. Shiny even. It would seem that printing supports would leave you with some small nibs on the mating surface to the car. So I was just curious why you’d opt for that.

19. drawfour

drawfour Member

Sure. I've seen other manufacturers do something similar as well, and I always thought those looked a little weird. The right could have "LR" or "75" or "RWD" or "ELECTRIC" or any number of things. But to each their own.

20. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

The badge looks great, especially the black on white, but I agree about it being unbalanced.