Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to tighten connector on 12V aux battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never seen "Service Mode" before. The app is locked, this all I can do or see on the app.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is there to specifically block you from the app. Imagine the mayhem if some jackass(not necessarily you!) decided to honk their horn every now and again, or try to summon the car off of the alignment rack, or any number of other things.

I have oem Tesla center caps on my T Sportline space gray wheels, and they match almost perfectly but not exactly. Not sure how the space gray differs from satin gray.

T Sportline space gray wheels = exact same color/shade as Uberturbine wheels, so they're slightly darker than the factory Tesla Aero cap set.

93.jpg

Tesla-Center-Cap2.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is there to specifically block you from the app. Imagine the mayhem if some jackass(not necessarily you!) decided to honk their horn every now and again, or try to summon the car off of the alignment rack, or any number of other things.
Makes sense, but in 25 months of ownership, I have NEVER seen this a SERVICE MODE before. We have a 2K mile road trip planned for Sept 11th and I wanted to schedule a Mobile Tech to swap out my 21" tires/wheels for my new 18s.
bO3yRjh.jpg

When I last looked the earliest appointment I could get was for 9 Sept. That was back on the day my Y died.

Since I can't schedule that it looks like we'll be taking that trip with the 21" tires, not something we wanted to do.

I hope I get the car back today as estimated, it's been 6 days since it died.

At least now I understand what you mean about the app being completely blocked. It does seem like accessing the service menu while your car is in service would be an entirely reasonable thing to do, and the 'service mode' hammer was a bit too large.

Just so you know, swapping tires already mounted on wheels is not hard at all, if you have the tools. I imagine the tools cost less than two swaps done by the Service Ranger, and then you can do them anytime you like.

I myself do three cars of wheel swaps twice a year, for winter/summer driving. The real work is racking/unracking ~600lbs of wheels/tires, since they are 8 feet in the air.

Just so you know, swapping tires already mounted on wheels is not hard at all, if you have the tools. I imagine the tools cost less than two swaps done by the Service Ranger, and then you can do them anytime you like.

I myself do three cars of wheel swaps twice a year, for winter/summer driving. The real work is racking/unracking ~600lbs of wheels/tires, since they are 8 feet in the air.
I wish it were that easy, some injuries suffered during my time in the USAF have left me at less than 100% and unable to lift heavy items. When I pick up the car later today (fingers crossed) I'll speak with the guys at the Service Center and see if there is any way they could squeeze me in.

Last edited:
I wish it were that easy, some injuries suffered during my time in the USAF have left me at less than 100% and unable to lift heavy items. When I pick up the car later today (fingers crossed) I'll speak with the guys at the Service Center and see if there is any way they could squeeze me in.
Any other tire shops in town? Surely someone nearby can help you load them in your car for a trip to get them swapped.

Any other tire shops in town? Surely someone nearby can help you load them in your car for a trip to get them swapped.
I could do that but after driving the car for a few days now, the 21s aren’t that bad. So we are going to make the trip with them and collect some good data points (about 2500 miles in moderately warm late summer temps and about 2900 ft in elevation changes) so I can compare them to the 18s. I have a DRAGGY and will do my performance testing when I get back.

And thanks for all the info and advice.

I know its a cliche, but thank you for your service, all the more so because of your injuries.
Thank you. I was blessed, I served 22 years active duty (71-93) and 26 as a civIlian. I loved every minute, my son and daughter followed dear old dad and they just recently retired from the USAF. My wife served 9 years in the USN where I met her when we were stationed in Naples Italy. I wouldn’t trade a minute of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiehlsport
FOLLOW UP: After doing some digging I found this:

This was the missing piece I was struggling with, the "what do I do" piece.

Have downloaded the app and feel more comfortable that we could handle any mechanical or roadside issues. Once you have this under control the rest can be handled from the comfort of a hotel etc.

Thanks for listening to a grumpy old man.