Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to vent about my 2022 MYP service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up my 22 MYP in Feb here in Las Vegas. Since I had it, its been at the service center 4 times. 3 of those time was for warped hoods, and each time they had it for over a week to paint it. Now this time the whole car shutoff on me, had to have it towed out of my garage to the service center where they have had it now for over 2 weeks. They said they replaced the High Voltage controller and pushed an update. They when the tech was taking for a test drive, the car had another fault and they are trying to figure out what it is.

But all this is happening when I am moving from Las Vegas to Franklin, TN next week and I was going to drive my vehicle there with my computer, monitors, desk etc in the vehicle with me. And they have no idea what the problem is or how long it will take. I told them they will have to provide me a 1 way rental which they said they could do, but they will have to ship my vehicle when done over to my new residence in TN. But they said they have to talk to the upper management to see if they can do that. I mean there is no other way, I am not flying back then to drive my car back to TN.

Sorry, just need to vent. Really thinking about opening a case for the lemon law, but not wanting to wait for a replacement.

So I picked up my 22 MYP in Feb here in Las Vegas. Since I had it, its been at the service center 4 times. 3 of those time was for warped hoods, and each time they had it for over a week to paint it. Now this time the whole car shutoff on me, had to have it towed out of my garage to the service center where they have had it now for over 2 weeks. They said they replaced the High Voltage controller and pushed an update. They when the tech was taking for a test drive, the car had another fault and they are trying to figure out what it is.

But all this is happening when I am moving from Las Vegas to Franklin, TN next week and I was going to drive my vehicle there with my computer, monitors, desk etc in the vehicle with me. And they have no idea what the problem is or how long it will take. I told them they will have to provide me a 1 way rental which they said they could do, but they will have to ship my vehicle when done over to my new residence in TN. But they said they have to talk to the upper management to see if they can do that. I mean there is no other way, I am not flying back then to drive my car back to TN.

Sorry, just need to vent. Really thinking about opening a case for the lemon law, but not wanting to wait for a replacement.
Well that sucks. Hopefully this will be behind you soon - try to focus on your move and I'm sure this will come together soon.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
Not sure you have grounds for a lemon law complain as 3 of your four total events were due to a dented or bent hood? Your true service issue from what you mentioned seems like they are doing what they can to fix it and even offered to ship your car for your convenience. Not sure they could be more fair then that on a single mechanical issue.

Not sure you have grounds for a lemon law complain as 3 of your four total events were due to a dented or bent hood? Your true service issue from what you mentioned seems like they are doing what they can to fix it and even offered to ship your car for your convenience. Not sure they could be more fair then that on a single mechanical issue.
Nevada Lemon Law is covered if the vehicle has been out of service for 30 days or more, which it has. As for the shipping, they never confirmed, they have to talk to upper management. But they would have to do something as I leave next week to the Nashville area.

Nevada Lemon Law is covered if the vehicle has been out of service for 30 days or more, which it has. As for the shipping, they never confirmed, they have to talk to upper management. But they would have to do something as I leave next week to the Nashville area.
You noted it’s been in service for this issue for two weeks. Pretty sure you can’t accumulate time based on adding previous cosmetic hood visits. Technically they don’t Have to do anything before you move as that’s your issue not theirs but it sounds like they are Trying to help you on that which I still see as stepping up to make you happy. Good luck

I would not lemon law it, with the prices the way they are right now, I would get it fixed, order a new one and get rid of the problem one, I am sure you will get more than what you paid for or at least what you paid for it. If you lemon law, tesla is not obligated to pay more than what you paid.

Sure, it is unfair for the person who will buy your car but that is a gamble with any used car.

Well just an update, they still have my MYP at the service center. They confirmed with me almost 2 weeks ago that it was all set to go, so I flew back to pick it up. I get the car and didn't even have it for a few hours when it faulted again. Had to drop it back off and they said they have to replace the HV battery now, and that it will be another 2 weeks just to get the battery. So yet again, I had to fly back here and I am in an Enterprise loaner, since the service center near me don't have one to lend.

I am frustrated, especially having to keep flying, take time out of my work, paying a monthly payment on a car I can't drive. Also, my business computer is back in Vegas in which I need, but can't get until my car is ready so I can drive it back here to Tennesseee. Tesla offered to buy it back which I refused. I am not gonna take a loss due to their issue.

Def won't be buying another Tesla after this experience.

Well just an update, they still have my MYP at the service center. They confirmed with me almost 2 weeks ago that it was all set to go, so I flew back to pick it up. I get the car and didn't even have it for a few hours when it faulted again. Had to drop it back off and they said they have to replace the HV battery now, and that it will be another 2 weeks just to get the battery. So yet again, I had to fly back here and I am in an Enterprise loaner, since the service center near me don't have one to lend.

I am frustrated, especially having to keep flying, take time out of my work, paying a monthly payment on a car I can't drive. Also, my business computer is back in Vegas in which I need, but can't get until my car is ready so I can drive it back here to Tennesseee. Tesla offered to buy it back which I refused. I am not gonna take a loss due to their issue.

thats so bad... I get that tesla's are electric cars so it's more complicated but still

I wonder if this qualify for been a Lemon?

BTW, did you bought a one-way only ticket?

This is what scares me about buying a Tesla. If you are one of the unfortunate ones that has a recurring issue you kind of get screwed. I've read similar accounts many times. An owner takes the car in with some non-standard issue. Tesla keeps it around 2 weeks because as far as I can tell the SC doesn't seem to stock many parts and they have to order them from the factory, which really is not that far away but it seems to always be '2 weeks.' Then they try to swap out that part and give it back to the owner to see if that repair did the trick. If it didn't, another 2 weeks and another part from the factory. And then if you complain too much they blacklist you.... 'no soup for you!' The reality is these cars are much simpler than an ICE car. Many fewer parts to troubleshoot and stock at the SC. Yes there are ICE cars that get lemon law'd, but Tesla could so easily fix this if they only valued their current customers as much or slightly more than their future customers. But they would rather have parts to sell new cars than fix existing customer's car. I can really see how frustrating that would be and I hope I don't get stuck in that trap. The biggest Achilles heel for Tesla is Customer Service. There is enough demand for their cars that they have a certain arrogance about their customer service and how they can let it be so bad. But they will never get to their long-term goals if the slowly but surely eliminate they good will they have right now. In fact, I can already sense this is eroding, and they are too slow to act.

I wonder if this qualify for been a Lemon?

BTW, did you bought a one-way only ticket?
Yeah it qualifies now for the lemon, but Tesla will only buy the vehicle back, not replace it. I got it when the price was much cheaper, so if I did that I would only lose. And yeah I told them many times I was moving out of state. So I had to fly here, which they said they are reimbursing. Then I had to fly 2 more times when they said my vehicle was ready, in which it wasn't. Now I am just waiting on this HV battery and then I will have to fly back yet again. Who know's how long it will take for them to reimburse my flight costs.

Its just a big mess, and a huge inconvenience since I have to put my work/business on hold to fly, sit in the airport, have flights get cancelled and wait for next one, take uber to get rental vehicles. Then on top of it, the lack of response from the SC.

This is what scares me about buying a Tesla. If you are one of the unfortunate ones that has a recurring issue you kind of get screwed. I've read similar accounts many times. An owner takes the car in with some non-standard issue. Tesla keeps it around 2 weeks because as far as I can tell the SC doesn't seem to stock many parts and they have to order them from the factory, which really is not that far away but it seems to always be '2 weeks.' Then they try to swap out that part and give it back to the owner to see if that repair did the trick. If it didn't, another 2 weeks and another part from the factory. And then if you complain too much they blacklist you.... 'no soup for you!' The reality is these cars are much simpler than an ICE car. Many fewer parts to troubleshoot and stock at the SC. Yes there are ICE cars that get lemon law'd, but Tesla could so easily fix this if they only valued their current customers as much or slightly more than their future customers. But they would rather have parts to sell new cars than fix existing customer's car. I can really see how frustrating that would be and I hope I don't get stuck in that trap. The biggest Achilles heel for Tesla is Customer Service. There is enough demand for their cars that they have a certain arrogance about their customer service and how they can let it be so bad. But they will never get to their long-term goals if the slowly but surely eliminate they good will they have right now. In fact, I can already sense this is eroding, and they are too slow to act.
My 21 MYLR was perfect, no issues at all. But this one has been nothing but a nightmare. Its been at the SC since June 22nd. Also, before that I had 3 hoods replaced since they were warped. Each time was over a week at the SC. So tempted to just get it back and sell it to carmax, but I really don't feel like having to pay for gas.

I understand the frustration, especially with you having to go back and forth for nothing. My MYP is currently in the shop for the HV Battery and I won't be getting it back until August 25th. They had to order the battery from CA. I guess I'm fortunate they put me in a S loaner. I have always been treated well at the Austin service center so I'm thankful for that and haven't had to be there more than 4 times between all our models. I will say this about your battery issue...I was notified to bring the car in immediately for the replacement. At least they didn't just blow it off and say bring it in whenever. That would not have been good since it won't charge and cool properly.

Waiting on parts from CA, USA?

Lucky,...

Yes, California. BTW don't be surprised if it takes longer than they told you to get the battery. Keep checking the service part of the app to see if they update the fix date. I was originally told it would be a week and then checked the app to find the 25th date. On the bright side you will get a new battery not refurbished since the car is under warranty.