Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need USB Stick Advice for Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It answers his question by saving him countless of hours of frustration and angst. The "upgraded sound system" in the Model X just isn't worth it. The sound isn't on par with something like Mark Levison in Lexus, and the user interface is a disaster. Why spend all that time converting files, alphabetizing them, putting them in folders, etc. only to have your Model X spend 10 minutes each day re-indexing the USB (and playing nothing while it does), forgetting what was playing when you turned off the car last, and then not even presenting a sonic sound space worthy of all that effort?

It answers his question by saving him countless of hours of frustration and angst. The "upgraded sound system" in the Model X just isn't worth it. The sound isn't on par with something like Mark Levison in Lexus, and the user interface is a disaster. Why spend all that time converting files, alphabetizing them, putting them in folders, etc. only to have your Model X spend 10 minutes each day re-indexing the USB (and playing nothing while it does), forgetting what was playing when you turned off the car last, and then not even presenting a sonic sound space worthy of all that effort?
Is this happening for you on 2.42.40? Supposedly most of those bugs, including the need to alphabetize/re-tag, have been fixed in that release.

Comprehensive USB Bug List

Build 2.42.40 improves USB audio

I have a music library of about 8,000 songs. I'd like to move high quality files to a USB stick to take advantage of my upgraded sound system. Any recommendations on a good USB stick for audio files? Thanks.

I recently bought this off Amazon. I installed it in the center console of my Model X. I like it's low profile and of course the capacity. Your mileage may vary.

Just to keep you Model X owners in the loop, could you comment on the following bug list as still being applicable to Model X please?

Media Player Bugs as of .40 of v8

1. Search
SEMI-FIXED (text input search works, voice search is hit or miss) Some instance of “ghost results” from previous media that is no longer plugged in. Selecting these items causes the Media Player to not play anything. There should also be an option to apply preferential treatment to search results (USB vs. streaming) and/or eliminate certain sources from results by user preference / Streaming people will want it one way (remove USB results), USB media people will like it the other way (remove streaming results) / Not all results are displayed when clearly there are more matches / What does “Top” mean in search results?

2. Playback Resume
Tracks still reset to beginning when exiting and then returning to the vehicle. Observed slight causality with track resetting when a driver returns to the car after longer than 15min from leaving it – need more testing / passenger door status change may also affect this

3. Bookmark Feature
Especially in light of the ‘Playback Resume’ error, request feature to "Bookmark" exact place (time and album) in audio track and save 3-5 different slots for resuming later / critical for audiobooks and podcasts played via USB / Trying to find an exact timestamp in a file can be dangerous while driving. Allowing a “Favorite” to save the current timestamp and album would suffice for this feature or it can be a separate section: FAVORITES / RECENT / BOOKMARKS

4. Shuffle/Shuffle Toggle
Shuffle is much better, however, there are hints that it is still playing the same set of songs depending on either which song is selected or how many times the shuffle button has been toggled. Entering into the car for the first time of the day results in the last playing song from the night before to play from start but then next series of songs to play are the same repetitive set from the day before. Also, Shuffle still randomly turns off between USB sources, player sources, and entering/existing vehicle, Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources, seems random

5. File Directory Listing
Folders should be listed first alphabetically, and then files next alphabetically / Files and folders still intermixed in Folder View / Do not use tag data for sorting anywhere within Folder View

6. Grammatical Articles Used in Alphabetical Listing
Lists are using ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ as alphabetical markers. These prefixes should be ignored for alphabetical sorting. For example, ‘The Beatles’ should be under “B”, not “T”

7. Multi-artist Album / Multi-disc Albums
Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated / ID3 tag DISCNUMBER should be used when sorting a list of files, should group by disk first, then by track

8. Documentation on USB Functionality
• Expected scan times per track/data size – disclose effect of MCU reboot and list rescan triggers
• Documented hard limits to volume size, individual file size, max number of files, ID3 tag fields
• Physical device support/specifications (Flash/SSD, max. USB output power per port/as a pair)
• Supported Tags
• Supported File Formats
• Supported Playback Formats
• Album Art Size/Type Limitations

9. Directory/File Sorting
Directory listing should place folders at the top in alphabetical order, followed by individual files in alphabetical order

Reactions: Blastphemy
I don't believe any Xs have anything beyond 2.40.21, so a lot of the stuff 'fixed' in 2.42.40 are not available to us. We anxiously await to see what is in 2.44.121 which is a new release out there...

The biggest thing I can recommend is to ensure you have a hierarchy of folders - don't put all 8000 in one folder, do something like:

toplevel\artist\album or similar

this will load waaaaay faster, we discovered.

Personally I am very happy with the sound of my FLACs on the UHFS - just annoying to have to wait for loading etc.

I am on 2.40.21 (waiting for the >= 42 update). My USB is only 128 gb. I have ~3500 tracks on ~360 albums. It takes less than 2 minutes to rescan my disk when the car starts up. In fact it takes me that long to start the car, back out of the garage and leave the 400 foot driveway at my house. My disk is arranged toplevel\artist\album.

I have all the energy savings stuff turned on so it seems to at least do a refresh scan at every start. One problem I noticed is that the recent, or resume, will not work for me as it keeps defaulting to my phones music, which I never use. I suspect this is because the USB is not ready until after the scan is complete and the fw does not know how to cache the resume feature when USB's need scanning.

Is this fixed in 2.42.40?

I am on 2.40.21 (waiting for the >= 42 update). My USB is only 128 gb. I have ~3500 tracks on ~360 albums. It takes less than 2 minutes to rescan my disk when the car starts up. In fact it takes me that long to start the car, back out of the garage and leave the 400 foot driveway at my house. My disk is arranged toplevel\artist\album.

I have all the energy savings stuff turned on so it seems to at least do a refresh scan at every start. One problem I noticed is that the recent, or resume, will not work for me as it keeps defaulting to my phones music, which I never use. I suspect this is because the USB is not ready until after the scan is complete and the fw does not know how to cache the resume feature when USB's need scanning.

Is this fixed in 2.42.40?
Apparently us X owners never get USB resume. As you can see the S owners do get resume (whether resume from last position or resume from the start of the song). I just got the newest build 2.44.121 and it still does not resume correctly. Like you it defaults to Phone, just like first v8 release.

Did the 'surround sound' option went away with the latest update? Noticed that it's no longer available in the audio settings anymore. Anybody notice that? Forgot which thread, but somebody mentioned that to get more base with the UHFS, turn on the surround sound option.

-ThinkMac-