Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need "Verified Tesla owner" flag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
Too much rubbish and FUD some of which is quite subtle on the forums these days from folks who are clearly not owners.

Status could appear with the persons Avatar.

Would like the option to filter (Ignore) non owners and also for New thread starters to be able to select option for responses "open" or "restricted to owners".

I think this would significantly enhance the forum especially as it continues to grow.

More importantly we should have a symbol for those who have TSLA interests. I get tired of the speculators interfering with discussions and painting rosy/negative pictures based on their financial interests -- this applies to certain owners, as well. I'd like to be able to ignore people who refuse to see positive and or negative aspects to my car because they want to suppress views because said views could impact their portfolios.

Preventing non-owners from being able to pose questions to owners is ridiculous.

Reactions: commasign
Too much rubbish and FUD some of which is quite subtle on the forums these days from folks who are clearly not owners.

Welcome to the Internet, pull up a chair.

Status could appear with the persons Avatar.

I don't know who you think, or suggest, would be handling the "verification" of ownership or investment goals, other than employing an "honor system" which pretty much wouldn't work out of the gate.

And even assuming it would work, I think labeling members as owners or long or short investors, or putting users into different classes is a bad idea, and would only lead to more problems, not less. And someone would have to manage all that and handle complaints and changes in status.

So I think you're on your own (we all are, actually) to filter and/or ignore people you personally do not want to engage.

I agree with Hank that we don't need separate owner status. There is already that functionality in the official forums so that owners can make private threads only other verified owners can see.

I always disliked the rare vibe from some here that because I wasn't an owner that my opinions didn't matter. Especially when I was expressing concerns about the car or Tesla's philosophy towards something. Adding official owner status would just legitimize that position and probably make it more widespread than it is now. That might make this an unfriendly place for future owners like I was when I first came here.

Yes the trolls can be annoying (like that wheels dude). But they usually become pretty obvious fairly quickly in a thread and can be ignored.

More importantly we should have a symbol for those who have TSLA interests. I get tired of the speculators interfering with discussions and painting rosy/negative pictures based on their financial interests
So, users will need to turn that on/off themselves at will? On an honor system?

Most of the time, I have no positions in TSLA or any of its derivatives (e.g. options). From time to time, I have taken a long position on TSLA stock or a bullish option position (e.g. sold naked puts). But, usually mine are pretty short term and I close out the options positions pretty quickly, which is the case for almost all my options trades on any stock or ETF.

FWIW, I don't think I've ever shorted TSLA stock and only rarely (if ever) have taken on any bearish TSLA option plays. (In the distant past, I got burned so badly by shorting any stocks that I lost WAY more $ than I ever gained. :( The mistake w/shorting MSTR maybe a decade or more ago. Numerous unexpected goofy things happened while I had more short position. Oh boy... Never again. If I want to take on a bearish position on a stock, it'll be via options via plays where my loss is capped.)