Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need wheel and tire info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a car person, other than I drive one. I recently bought a Model Y LR with 19" wheels, and now I'm thinking about getting winter tires (and rims, with TPMS), but I'm confused.........In the past, I've gotten basic steel wheels to match my preferred winter tires (in the past, I've gone with Haakapelitti), and that was that. But some people are very particular about their rims/wheels - is there anything other than aesthetics I should know about? Obviously the size has to be correct, but other than that?
Now that I'm reading car forums (like this one), I'm reading about "car guy" things that I've never really heard about and not sure if I should bother with.

Wheel design will have a significant impact on aerodynamics/range. Get another set of oem 19's if range is important to you. Your range in winter is going to be way less than it was in the summer no matter what you do, but non aero wheels will reduce it even further.

Also another aspect of "fit" is weight rating. EV's are heavier than most cars of similar size. Now every wheel will be able to handle the cars weight.

Do you normally have a tire and wheel shop that you go to, that you trust? They would have specs / websites / software that would look up the tire and wheel size options for you.

If you want to do some self research, use some of the tire and wheel websites. You would put in the model and year etc of the car and they would give you the options.

For a Tesla Model Y - I do know as an example that TSportline has their wheel guide for each Tesla model, and it explains what the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) sizes and specs are, and then what they offer. Not that you have to buy from them, the top of the page original equipment info is handy. The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

HTH

Just keep it simple and order a set of Gemini Model Y wheels and Bluetooth TPMS sensors from your Tesla Service Center and bring the wheels to your tire shop where you purchase your Nokians.

There are cheaper options from PMC and Tsportline for wheels if you are on a budget. The shipping/duty isn’t too bad from Tsportline when you wait for a sale. The next sale is probably near Labour Day when they usually have a free shipping and/or 10% off sale. In the past, Tsportine has under valued the customs amount so taxes and duties are lower than expected.