Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need you help! Used Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me start by saying that I have a deposit on a new 2021 Model Y. Currently driving a 3 row (tight 3rd row) Acura MDX. We had given up on the idea of getting a 3 row MY because 3rd row will probably be very tight. Just. bumped. into a used 2018 X 100D with 22K miles that has everything we would truly want. Here are my questions:
Will there be any residual warranty that I would be entitled to if buying thru non-testa dealer?
Is the reliability of the 2018 X decent enough that I won't have to sync a ton of money into expensive repairs?
Can I still get the extended warranty?
If previous owner didn't upgrade to HW3, can I do it at no charge after owning the vehicle? The car was bought with FSD.

Love the idea of the 6 seats vs 5 and air suspension. Currently own a M3 and the ride is understandably firm. I think MY is also firm based on my test drive. That said I do love the MY as well.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me start by saying that I have a deposit on a new 2021 Model Y. Currently driving a 3 row (tight 3rd row) Acura MDX. We had given up on the idea of getting a 3 row MY because 3rd row will probably be very tight. Just. bumped. into a used 2018 X 100D with 22K miles that has everything we would truly want. Here are my questions:
Will there be any residual warranty that I would be entitled to if buying thru non-testa dealer?
Is the reliability of the 2018 X decent enough that I won't have to sync a ton of money into expensive repairs?
If previous owner didn't upgrade to HW3, can I do it at no charge after owning the vehicle? The car was bought with FSD.

Love the idea of the 6 seats vs 5 and air suspension. Currently own a M3 and the ride is understandably firm. I think MY is also firm based on my test drive. That said I do love the MY as well.

I was in your shoes this past May. I was zig-zagging back and forth over a Y vs. an X. I ended up getting a 2017 X 100D and have no regrets. You still should have some bumper to bumper factory warrant remaining. If it's a good deal, and has all the options you're looking for, grab it!

Reactions: X-pilot

Ask Tesla to be sure, but I think the following is (likely) correct:

The 4 year bumper-to-bumper and the 8-year Powertrain warranties should still be in force, no matter who you buy the car from. They were for my Model S bought from a private party.

I would not expect a lot of expensive repairs. However it is best to be ready in case the falcon doors or air suspension needs work after the 4 year warranty expires.

Only the original owner can buy the extended warranty from Tesla. I arranged for the original owner to buy the extended warranty for my Model S befor transferring the title. After owning and enjoying the car for 5.5 years, I wish I had not spent the $4k to get the extended warranty.

Since the car is equipped with the FSD option, you will have most of the FSD features with HW2, and can schedule the free upgrade to HW3 anytime.

GSP

Reactions: VikH
I own a 2018 P100D. Even though I spent a fair amount of time at SC, never been stranded and no major issues, mostly cosmetic stuff. Even though MX has air suspension, ride is firm. Raven models have redesigned suspension; ride is much better.

I would call Tesla and ask about warranty. I am not sure if you get residual warranty if you buy from a non-Tesla dealer, but I am sure you can’t buy extended warranty. Also, I believe FSD is not transferable and will be stripped when you register with Tesla. You need to speak with Tesla to get firm answers to these questions IN WRITING. Personally, I wouldn’t own any Tesla without warranty. Good luck.

I own a 2018 P100D. Even though I spent a fair amount of time at SC, never been stranded and no major issues, mostly cosmetic stuff. Even though MX has air suspension, ride is firm. Raven models have redesigned suspension; ride is much better.

I would call Tesla and ask about warranty. I am not sure if you get residual warranty if you buy from a non-Tesla dealer, but I am sure you can’t buy extended warranty. Also, I believe FSD is not transferable and will be stripped when you register with Tesla. You need to speak with Tesla to get firm answers to these questions IN WRITING. Personally, I wouldn’t own any Tesla without warranty. Good luck.
I'm pretty sure FSD stays with the car. Free Supercharging, if given to the previous owner, does not. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure FSD stays with the car. Free Supercharging, if given to the previous owner, does not. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree, it should stay. But I have read about several unrelated incidents where it was stripped during transfer and the owners were left holding the bag. I would get it in writing from Tesla before purchasing.

Check build date to make sure u have MCU2 ...build date >3/18 ...I have a 2018 XP aside from AC failure at 70kmiles no other issues with car ..as others have said car rides very stiff ..I have six seat as well but in retrospect should have gone with seven seater for the cargo space ;)...other than that it’s a great car !

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC and GSP
I have a 2016 Model X 90D. Most of the issues I have had with the truck have been because of the doors. The auto presenting driver side door wasn't working when I got it. The spine on the roof fell off and had to be replaced twice. The falcon wing sensor failed and the doors were not opening properly. The 12v battery failed too. Every issue was fixed at no cost to me.

The MCU has been having issues lately. I have an appointment on Wednesday 10/14 for a mobile tech to check it out. I really hope they will decide to change it to the MCU2.

Luckily I it bought directly from Tesla so it is under warranty until April 2023 and about 75K miles

Tesla included “free Supercharging for life” for several years, but later changed to “free for life of first ownership,” or no free Supercharging, for recently built cars. A 2018 model is likely in one of the latter categories.

My 2015 Model S came with free Supercharging for life, and it transferred from the original owner with no problems. However, free Supercharging is not as big a deal as it may seem. I often take my Model 3, with paid supercharging, on long trips. I only take the Model S when I need the extra space or the hatchback. Supercharging is not expensive. I don’t mind paying Tesla’s reasonable pricing to help expand and maintain the supercharger network.

GSP

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Supercharging is not expensive.
GSP

I have free supercharging on my MS and MX. I almost exclusively charge them at the supercharger as I have one about 8 miles away, next to a Whole Foods.

The cost per kWh at the that supercharger is 28 cents, while the cost at home from FPL is about 12 cents. I still have not charged my M3 at the supercharger to find out what it would cost, but assuming a 50 kWh charge, it would cost me $14 at the supercharger vs $6 at home.

Reactions: rjdoc74
I have a 2016 Model X 90D. Most of the issues I have had with the truck have been because of the doors. The auto presenting driver side door wasn't working when I got it. The spine on the roof fell off and had to be replaced twice. The falcon wing sensor failed and the doors were not opening properly. The 12v battery failed too. Every issue was fixed at no cost to me.

The MCU has been having issues lately. I have an appointment on Wednesday 10/14 for a mobile tech to check it out. I really hope they will decide to change it to the MCU2.

Luckily I it bought directly from Tesla so it is under warranty until April 2023 and about 75K miles

Your MCU is likely dying. They will offer your a refurb for like $600 or you can upgrade to MCU2 for $2500, something like that. They won’t cover under warranty (there are many threads on this and I think a class action lawsuit).

Tesla included “free Supercharging for life” for several years, but later changed to “free for life of first ownership,” or no free Supercharging, for recently built cars. A 2018 model is likely in one of the latter categories.

My 2015 Model S came with free Supercharging for life, and it transferred from the original owner with no problems. However, free Supercharging is not as big a deal as it may seem. I often take my Model 3, with paid supercharging, on long trips. I only take the Model S when I need the extra space or the hatchback. Supercharging is not expensive. I don’t mind paying Tesla’s reasonable pricing to help expand and maintain the supercharger network.

GSP

This is correct, but we like anything in life, prices are subject to change :). They’ve already increased them once (or twice?). I have a March built 2018 with free supercharging. I have a SC about 6 miles away next to a mall and a Costco. Fill up the tank as part of errands. $15 a pop free, not too bad.

Your MCU is likely dying. They will offer your a refurb for like $600 or you can upgrade to MCU2 for $2500, something like that. They won’t cover under warranty (there are many threads on this and I think a class action lawsuit).

Why wouldn't it be covered under warranty if it is not working?

I believe that they won't cover the exchange from MCU1 to MCU2 under warranty while the MCU1 is operational. If they find the MCU1 to be defective they need to replace it for another MCU1 or an MCU2 at no cost. If they can fix it, that's also ok. However, I would expect that if they fix it still eventually would fail again, and I will continue to make appointments to fix it under warranty.

I won't pay $2500 or even $600 to fix or replace the screen while the truck is under warranty. If I was out of warranty that would be another story.

Why wouldn't it be covered under warranty if it is not working?

I believe that they won't cover the exchange from MCU1 to MCU2 under warranty while the MCU1 is operational. If they find the MCU1 to be defective they need to replace it for another MCU1 or an MCU2 at no cost. If they can fix it, that's also ok. However, I would expect that if they fix it still eventually would fail again, and I will continue to make appointments to fix it under warranty.

I won't pay $2500 or even $600 to fix or replace the screen while the truck is under warranty. If I was out of warranty that would be another story.

You totally makes sense. But there are multiple threads on this forum that they are denying this. As someone who took Tesla to arbitration TWICE for not covering things under warranty, I totally believe it. Good luck.

I am in a very similar situation. Had a 3-row VW Atlas and decided to switch to a Model Y so we ordered one and sold the Atlas. Was having second thoughts for a good chunk of time and decided to go check out a Y and X back to back, and took an X home for an overnight test drive. I as convinced that the X was a much better choice for my family of five.

Although we could have fit in a Y, long distance travel and comfort for the kids in the back would not be good. My wife and I decided that the X was better for us so I started looking at used X's.

There were so many variables involved with HW2, HW2.5, HW3, MCU1, MCU2, etc, not to mention warranties and whatnot that the money saved to go with a used one just wasn't worth it to me. At least not for the pricing I found. I rules out 2016 models. I wanted at least a 2017 100D 6 seater. Average pricing I saw was $75,000 or so. Brand new is about $11k+ (no FSD) and with that come Raven, longer range, and brand spanking new. I could care less about FSD.

I'm not waiting on our X to be delivered some time next month, although I'm highly considering waiting till December to see what type of EOQ deals they offer. They need to his 500k deliveries this year.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
It all depends on how the car has changed hands. If it was traded in to Tesla and sold at an auction before ultimately ending up at another dealer, there is a chance that Tesla removed the FSD feature from the vehicle. It doesn't matter what the original sticker says, if Tesla owned it they could remove anything they wanted from the vehicle before reselling at auction. If the car was traded in to a non-Tesla dealership and ended up going through auction, the original software features should be intact.

Sometimes you can google the VIN to see traces of where it's been, you could try contacting Tesla or you could tell the dealership you're not paying the premium for FSD unless they can prove the feature is legitimately active. I'd probably check that the vehicle software is reasonable up to date. If it's been connected to WiFi and pulled recent updates and still has active FSD, I would feel more confident.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and rjdoc74